Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

LAGs

JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I see all these post with players being described as LAGs and TAGs.

I just want to point out that in LA I personally know of about a dozen LAGs. And about just as many TAGs.

Otherwise I would call people things like LP, TP, ATC, ABC and Regs.

Please stop calling anyone that raises preflop a LAG. There is just very few of them out there. I read every hand and people are like he was a LAG and he was a TAG. It really just isn't the case. Most players are passive by nature.

OK glad to get that off my chest. laugh

Comments

• reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    Where is the like button?

cool
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I actually don't think there's that big of a difference between a good TAG and good LAG. I LAG might just be slightly more exploitive (and thus exploitable at the same time), but both are capable of making the same kind of moves in the same kind of spots.

Players who I consider true TAG/LAG are rare in 2/5 or below.

People seem to confuse TAG with nitty ABC regs, which is not really what it means. I consider someone like Bart more of a TAG. And I'm probably a TAG if I had to categorize myself.

The LP, TP, ATC, ABC and regs descriptions are probably more accurate for lower stakes games.

+1
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    David Chan said-

Re: Hand-reading and LAG style
    Wendy, I definitely have a very high confidence in my hand-reading ability and my general post-flop game. So, I definitely make some preflop plays and flop plays that are marginal in a vacuum, but I feel they are profitable because I am confident that I will play future streets better than my opponents.
    I think the essence of LAG play consists mostly of recognizing weaknesses in Villains' ranges and then exploiting them. Sometimes, Villains will expose the weakness of their hands with their bet sizing and/or betting pattern. Other times, Villains will exhibit a live tell that gives away their weakness. Finally, there will be situations where your perceived range will be crushing their range, so you can turn the bottom of your range into a bluff (Example: Calling 2x on a As7s3dTh board with 54cc double gut shot draw and then bombing river on 9s which completes flush).
    LAG play is really more about recognizing common situations where Villains' ranges are weak and then attacking those weak ranges with no mercy. Sometimes, we will be playing looser preflop and/or on the flop in order to exploit those weak ranges, but the looser play is just a SIDE EFFECT of exploiting weakness. We are not playing loosely just for the sake of playing loose.

Limon said (paraphased)- Lag and Tag styles are just tools in the toolbox, I use whatever tools are necessary to stack a particular player.

I have seen it several times the guy married to a LP or Lag type style lose multiple buy-ins in a loose game, because in essence he is playing his one hand against eight other hands.

What I take from David's and Limon's advice, is to let the game come to you. Built your toolbox and have a strategy tailor to each opponent, which in some cases might be avoidance.
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    edog said

What I take from David's and Limon's advice, is to let the game come to you. Built your toolbox and have a strategy tailor to each opponent, which in some cases might be avoidance.
    Yeah but that really has nothing to do with this post. This post is about how day after day I read post saying...

Question: I was in a hand where...
    v1 was a LAG
    v2 was a TAG
    v3 was a very good LAG
    and I raised to $xx before flop... how did I play the hand?

Answer: Have better table selection and get off the Toughest table in town!
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    OK, never mind.
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    JCW said
    Yeah but that really has nothing to do with this post. This post is about how day after day I read post saying...

Question: I was in a hand where...
    v1 was a LAG
    v2 was a TAG
    v3 was a very good LAG
    and I raised to $xx before flop... how did I play the hand?

Answer: Have better table selection and get off the Toughest table in town!
    Holy crap yes! 'LAG' or 'TAG' is NOT a read. It tells me absolutely nothing. Worse still, someone will say 'oh, this guy is playing LAG' and when I ask for examples they'll reply something like 'well, he raised 25o and then c/c three streets when he turned two pair'. Or 'this guy is a TAG because I've only seem him play AA/KK and he bet a lot!'.

Just. No. Step back and analyze what you're seeing. We've got all this information in front of us and we end up taking lazy mental shortcuts to get to the solution which makes us end up way, way off course (sort of like that analogy).
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    +1.
    JCW said

I see all these post with players being described as LAGs and TAGs.

I just want to point out that in LA I personally know of about a dozen LAGs. And about just as many TAGs.

Otherwise I would call people things like LP, TP, ATC, ABC and Regs.

Please stop calling anyone that raises preflop a LAG. There is just very few of them out there. I read every hand and people are like he was a LAG and he was a TAG. It really just isn't the case. Most players are passive by nature.

OK glad to get that off my chest. laugh
  • CruelUltimatum Posts: 160Subscriber
    Hey guys, I had a hand and not sure what to do.

Seat 1 is a TAG
    Seat 2 is a LAG
    Seat 3 is kind of TAGgy, kind of LAGgy
    Seat 4 is a nitty TAG
    Hero's image is LAG
    All players are $100 effective in a $0.25/$0.50 game

Seat 2 raises to $2, the other four players call. Usually when this happens, it just gets checked down all the way to the river. Hero has AA. Should I 3bet here? Remember my image is LAG because that's what I am.

What do you do?

Thanks!
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    CruelUltimatum said

Hey guys, I had a hand and not sure what to do.

Seat 1 is a TAG
    Seat 2 is a LAG
    Seat 3 is kind of TAGgy, kind of LAGgy
    Seat 4 is a nitty TAG
    Hero's image is LAG
    All players are $100 effective in a $0.25/$0.50 game

Seat 2 raises to $2, the other four players call. Usually when this happens, it just gets checked down all the way to the river. Hero has AA. Should I 3bet here? Remember my image is LAG because that's what I am.

What do you do?

Thanks!
    Ask the Floorman for a Table Change.