Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Take to Showdown or turn your hand into a bluff

Cheating Scumbag Posts: 17Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1-3 NLHE home game, villian is LAG and to my direct right. He's very moody with his play but tonight he seems happy/winning a little and not prone to spewing at this time. He can also get stuck to his absolute hand strength. I have a winning image, we are $500 effective. The game is 7-handed.

Villian raises UTG+1 to 9. I have J8cc and call as does small blind.

Flop Qd8h4c Pot $30. Villain c-bets $17, I call thinking I may have best hand enough of the time. Small blind folds.

Turn 7c bringing in back door flush draw, Pot $64. Villain bets $40, I now call thinking my hand is unlikely to be good but call for my 14 card draw.

River Qs, Pot $144. He checks, This check smells like 99,1010,KK,AA, so I decide to bluff bet $80. He calls with Q6cc.

Would you take this hand to showdown/think it is spewy to get him of his non-trip hands or is the bluff with the under-pair a valid play?

Comments

• I think the problem here stems from the preflop choice of calling the raise. Even with the LAG image, J8s seems pretty weak to me to call an early position raiser. Obviously, in hindsight, he was rather weak, but with J8 you need a somewhat perfect flop to continue. When I think of flops that would fit the hand, not many also fit what I would consider to be an EP raising range, even for a LAG. I would rather wait for a better opportunity.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    the biggest pot i've ever won in NLH was with exactly J8cc (true story). for that reason alone you have to play it pre.
    Laugh
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Suited connectors are best when you are playing against a pretty tight range.. With him being a lag I dont think you should be calling with this hand. He could have you dominated and if you hit he probabaly wont and you dont get much value. As you can see he had Qx clubs.. your draw was dominated and he had the best pair..

LAGs also like to bet thin and call thin.. the bet on the river is a waste.. unless you do it to get some bluff equity later...

Wendy
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    wendyweissman said

Suited connectors are best when you are playing against a pretty tight range.. With him being a lag I dont think you should be calling with this hand. He could have you dominated and if you hit he probabaly wont and you dont get much value. As you can see he had Qx clubs.. your draw was dominated and he had the best pair..

LAGs also like to bet thin and call thin.. the bet on the river is a waste.. unless you do it to get some bluff equity later...

Wendy
    I agree.
    "Suited connectors are best when you are playing against a pretty tight range." In response to this portion: not just a tight range, but a tight and strong range. We want the villian to have a big hand pre, not just a narrowly defined hand.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    chilidog said
    wendyweissman said

Wendy
    I agree.
    "Suited connectors are best when you are playing against a pretty tight range." In response to this portion: not just a tight range, but a tight and strong range. We want the villian to have a big hand pre, not just a narrowly defined hand.
    narrow and good hands... sorry for the confusion.. Embarassed
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    0 chance I am folding pre here. Of the holy trinity (Position, skill, absolute hand strength) we have two. Don't nit it up and expand your horizons!

Also, We are 166BB's deep and this is a live home game. crawl crwal crawl.

I'm just going to see showdown here. Non-thinking players are just going to look you up to see what you have way too often.

Skinnyb.

Ps. don't post results in initial thread. It influences responses!
  • I dont like to try to bluff guys off of overpairs by representing trips even if your hand is likely to be a Q. Save your turning hands into bluff scenarios for when front door FDs come in on the river.

Bart