Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Extracting value with a monster hand

The Clubber Posts: 110Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Playing 2/5 in the afternoon at the Rio during WSOP 500 effective

I've only been at the table a few orbits and I've been severely card dead, so I should have an image as a rock. The villain in this hand is a younger Asian guy. On the first hand where I sat down, he raised MP1 and called a 3 bet from another young player on the button. The flop of 652r was checked. On a turn of a 6 that brought a BDFD, he led for 1/2 pot and the preflop raiser called. On the river 4 he again bet 2/3 pot and the preflop raiser called him with AK high and beat his 87s. I'm assuming from that hand he has been aggressive often enough that the button knew to hero call him. H60'es been in a good portion of the hands and is a little stuck.

Pre-flop Villain raises to 15 from UTG + 1 and I call with pocket 6s.

Flop (30) T76r Villain bets 20 and I call.

Turn (70) 6h bringing BDFD. I check again and villain bets 45. I raise to 120, villain calls.

River (310). As. Hero?

I checked the flop since villain could often have air and I think he will fire c-bets a lot of the time. By the turn, I check for the same reason - to keep villain's range wide. However, if villain actually has something, I want to shovel as many chips in the pot as possible. I think I need to c/r the turn in case villain has a draw that won't call anything on the river if it bricks.

On the river, I don't know if I should check seeing if he will use the river as a scare card, or bet small enough that he may think he can either hero call me or try to bluffraise me off the hand, or just shove and hope he has one of the few hands strong enough to call my bet.

Comments

• SupremeNinja Posts: 137Subscriber
    I would try to get some value with a bet like ~$140.. from

I think your line is too strong for him to bluffraise or hero call a pot sized shove.
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    The Clubber said
    I checked the flop since villain could often have air and I think he will fire c-bets a lot of the time. By the turn, I check for the same reason - to keep villain's range wide. However, if villain actually has something, I want to shovel as many chips in the pot as possible. I think I need to c/r the turn in case villain has a draw that won't call anything on the river if it bricks.

On the river, I don't know if I should check seeing if he will use the river as a scare card, or bet small enough that he may think he can either hero call me or try to bluffraise me off the hand, or just shove and hope he has one of the few hands strong enough to call my bet.
    This thinking seems inconsistent to me. You wan to keep his range wide, but also want to get chips into the pot in case he has something? We can't plan a hand out trying to get max value from 100% of someone's range.

As played, I'm either betting the turn or c/r'ing. We've got to start getting money into the pot. With your read the c/r may be the way to go if we know villain barrels draws. On the river, I'm inclined to bet because people check back way too often. This may not be the case with this particular guy if you have a really strong read. I'm probably betting in the $200 size range as a value bet. After your c/r on the turn I don't expect even aggressive people to put in a third barrel with a missed draw and he's going to check back a lot of the time, so we need to put out a bet ourselves.

Also, was there a typo in your description of villain? The previous hand you describe villain makes a straight with 87 on a 65264 board but got hero called and lost to A high?
  • Tom H Posts: 45Subscriber
    I wonder what he makes of your check-raise and what hands could he have to call there? - hopefully 1010, 77. What chances does he think you're FOS with the CR? Sure the ace might be a good barrel card, but the CR would take that more out of his range unless he think you are bluffing. So that combined with the possibility he has a good hand leads me to think that, as Lucas stated, a bet of $150-$200 would be correct as he might hero call, and probably just check back this one.