Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Hawaiin Gardens $3/$5 $300 Capped

Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
When playing a $300 capped, $3/$5 blind game (60bb) what do you think is the optimal strategy? I rarely play these types of games, but sat in one the other night. Play was fairly loose, so I nitted up pretty tight. Is top pair golden in these games and you should be willing to go to showdown or is their a better way. I feel like if you don't double through fairly quickly youre stuck for the rest of your session. Pre flop action was often $20 raises which usually got 3 or 4 callers.

Comments

• DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Generally, you should call raises with a very tight range because stacks are usually too short for you to have good implied odds. Occasionally, you can 3-bet as a bluff if you sense genuine weakness, but most players at this level are fairly passive.

Sometimes, you can still bluff profitably when people show weakness, but you shouldn't get too fancy with any advanced bluffs.

The best thing about this game is that many players are pretty loose preflop, so you can get action on your AJ+/99+ hands fairly easily when you raise to 4xbb + 1xbb per limper.
  • SupremeNinja Posts: 137Subscriber
    My local game is a 2/5 with 100bb cap.. However, usually about 50% of the table has ~$300 or less any ways.

If they're looser rec players as you described, I feel most comfortable playing super TAG/ABC.

I never get into PF wars with anybody unless I have it.
    I decrease my C-BET percentage when I miss and the board is somewhat connected (multiway).
    I don't find a need to try to make big plays/bluffs... or even find myself 2 barrel bluffing against these players.

I win most of the money against these players simply by getting it in with top pair and big kicker+.
    These guys like to see lots of flops.. and with their stacks they have to get it in with a top pair (sometimes even middle pair), or any type of draw.

These guys always have kicker problems and never learn.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
    I quickly figured out top pair good kicker would be good most of the time. Though I did make mistake wit 99 on a T68 board from the cut off and villain tank called 2streets.