Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Back to Back hands @ 3/5NL

SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hand one ($550 effective):

Villain: Older (in his 50's) 5/10 player playing down because there is no 5/10 running. He is pretty tight and pretty straight forward and pretty nitty. About 4 months ago he raised J10heartheart in LP, One caller, I 3b KK, he called and we got in 140bb's on KheartQheartx. I don't think he plays any other type of draw aggressively. He has not raised a hand pre flop in over an hour.

Folds to me in MP and I raise KspadeKclub to $15, two calls, he makes it $115 from BB, I call and everyone else folds.

I think his raising range in this spot is JJ+ AK and once in a blue moon AQ.

Flop ($260): Q109r. He insta-shoves AI for $435. I fold.

Hand Two 3/5 NL ($360 effective).

Villain (On the button) is older (in his 50's) nit. He is somewhat loose passive pre tho and calls a lot of hands regardless of position. Have not seen him make any move w/o a very strong hand.

One limp, I make it $25 with KheartJheart, 4 callers including villain.

His range is obv very wide here.

Flop ($125). Jclub10spade4spade. Checks to me, I bet $95 and he insta calls. Everyone else folds.

His quick timing on flop is significant IMO.

Turn ($315). Jclub10spade4spadeJspade. Hero? We are $245 effective.

Comments

• ddz Posts: 150SubscriberProfessional
    Hand 1: If villain is really as tight as you see and respects your play, I think this is a sigh fold. His range is pretty skewed to big hands with the larger raise, and your call plus that flop should at least give him pause without a big hand. A lot of your calling range makes sets (QQ, TT, 99) or open-ended(JJ), yet he still jams. Does he at least think a little bit with AK? probably. All you beat here is AK or AQ (or JJ that spazzed pre). I think it's a fold

Hand 2: Villain's range is weighted toward over pair (QQ) or a flush draw, less likely is smaller pairs (which a nit probably folds here). If you bet, he probably folds out his QQ and he likely jams his flushes, forcing you to put the rest of your money in hoping to fill up. If you check, will he bet small with his flushes, giving you the price to call? If he jams, you can just fold, bc you won't be getting a good enough price (240 to win 550, need at least 3.4:1) If he bets smaller, you can call and hope to bink.
  • Tom H Posts: 45Subscriber
    Sorry if it's simplistic, but in hand #1 stacks should be getting in PF. I too have done the trick of calling a 3-bet with kings, only to end up with a gross flop and lose value, or get some value on a less scary board, but see villain turn over queens on river.
    In hand #2 do you believe an insta call means flush draw? I would. By villain description 98 combos are in his range as well, and that would be consistant of a quick call as well. My first inclination was that this is a bet-fold situation, but tagging onto what ddz wrote, if you check what is his bet sizing going to be? I think with STP ratios here that he is 100% jamming a flush. But let's say he does some weird value bet. What would that size look like? $150-$200? As Bart would say that is the same as an all-in bet to you. Ugh, gross spot, even a decent bet sizing with intention to fold to a raise would still probably commit you. To me all signs point to a check-fold.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Hand 1: I think 4b is best but it would honestly be a raise/fold.

Hand Two: I checked and he insta-jammed.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Hand 1: 4-bet small to $265 if he is the type who would never make a disciplined laydown with QQ. 4-bet shove preflop if you have an aggressive bluffy image versus him and he is suspicious of overbet shoves. If he is disciplined enough to fold QQ to a 4-bet, then I would just call to stack off on almost all flops. As played on this particular flop, I probably sigh-call. I wouldn't hate a tank-fold. Barring a live read, I sigh-call because you can still beat an overplayed JJ that flopped pair+OESD (His overly large sizing preflop actually makes me think that JJ makes up a big portion of his range).

Hand 2: Check/Evaluate turn is good. I would probably lean towards a sigh-fold, but I would tank for a long time to see if I could pick up a live read on him before folding.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    David Chan said

Hand 1: 4-bet small to $265 if he is the type who would never make a disciplined laydown with QQ. 4-bet shove preflop if you have an aggressive bluffy image versus him and he is suspicious of overbet shoves. If he is disciplined enough to fold QQ to a 4-bet, then I would just call to stack off on almost all flops. As played on this particular flop, I probably sigh-call. I wouldn't hate a tank-fold. Barring a live read, I sigh-call because you can still beat an overplayed JJ that flopped pair+OESD (His overly large sizing preflop actually makes me think that JJ makes up a big portion of his range).

Hand 2: Check/Evaluate turn is good. I would probably lean towards a sigh-fold, but I would tank for a long time to see if I could pick up a live read on him before folding.
    Thanks for the advice!

Hand two: Now, I don't do this all the time but after I thought about it I realized I may have been able to have him show me his hand. The pot was pretty big and if I told him I am drawing to a full house if you show me a flush I promise I will fold I think he may have actually shown me. Something I will keep in mind for the future against older recreational players who hate getting sucked out on.