Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Limp Shove UTG +1 - What does this mean?

wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Just curious on people's take on what they think this means. Good question for someone like Bart who has played more years than me live poker. I think we were like 6 or 7 handed and I was in middle position in a 1-2 game with pocket 7s. Maybe a questionable raise considering I only had like 70 bucks in front of me but I raised to 10. 3 callers and the UTG +1 guy who has about $400 who limped reraised ALL IN. My initial thought was this guy was tight, I've seen him played a few times before and all I knew was he was tight but hadn't played with him much so I put him on the standard limp reraise with AA or KK from early position. But than I got to thinking afterwards (I folded). I'm thinking he probably saw the $50 in dead money out there and just wanted to isolate vs me with his low pocket pr putting me on 2 high cards and assumed since I was short I would call and we'd race - or maybe I'd fold. He could also have AK I guess but felt that less likely but possible. In hindsite I should've called. What do you guys think? It seems like he would've limp reraised w AA- not limp SHOVED. Doesn't make sense- Of course 1-2 don't make sense all the time it seems..

Comments

• ddz Posts: 150SubscriberProfessional
    You're out-leveling yourself. He has AA/KK here most of the time, less often QQ/AK. He's shoving so only you will call and no one else will come along. If I were in your shoes, with only 70 in front of me at 1/2, I would limp along and hope to hit, since you'll have no problem getting your stack in if you do.

I will say that I will rarely see someone limp reraise with a hand like 99 or 88, but 90% of the time it is AA/KK.

On a side note, I was playing deepstack 2/5 the other day, UTG limped, UTG+1 raised to $40, a couple of calls, I squeeze to $220 with AQ in SB with >$3K behind, and UTG limp-shoves for $3K with QQsurprised Blew my mind. Poker still profitable!
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    This is completely player dependent. Without information I would fold 77. As his most likely holding are TT-QQ and AQ+. Against that range you are 50% at best. It is possible he has KK-AA but that is a special type of nit that is very rare.

Saying that, Yesterday I was in this hand...

EP makes it $15
    I flat on button with QJ
    SB who is very aggressive and makes a lot of bluffs raises to $115
    EP folds.
    I shove to $420
    SB covers and calls with JTs

Queen high wins.

Like I said, these types of plays are VERY player dependent.
  • CruelUltimatum Posts: 160Subscriber
    I've seen the limp/shove with AA because "I wanted to win the pot now and I didn't want my aces cracked."

I played with a guy whose preflop action was something like:

limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp ALL-IN, SHOW ACES limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp ALL-IN, SHOW ACES limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp ALL-IN, SHOW ACES limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp fold limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp limp

People do weird things, but they haaaaate getting their aces cracked.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    It really depends on Villain's psychology.

Some guys are scared money tight-passives who are scared of being sucked out. So, the limp/shove overbet seems consistent with AK/QQ+ or maybe just QQ+.

Some guys are tight trappy players who want to "milk" you when they have a "lock" hand. So, the limp/shove overbet is usually not QQ+. These guys would limp/raise smaller to "get action" with QQ+. So, I would probably range a limp/shove overbet from these guys to be AK/JJ/TT usually with a few AQ/99 combos sprinkled in there. Remember, these guys are not comfortable playing AK/JJ/TT OOP, so they are happy "taking down the dead money" by limp/shoving AK/JJ/TT. These same tight greedy guys would love to "make the maximum" with their QQ+, so I would expect a limp/raise sizing of 3x + 1x per cold caller when they have QQ+.

Basically, you need to do some psychological profiling to see if their limp/raise overbet shove is consistent with how they would play a premium hand. Scared money guys often do play premiums pairs in a retarded way. Tight trappy guys who are obssessed with "mlking you for the maximum" are unlikely to limp/shove as an overbet because they would prefer to limp/raise to a smaller amount that would "entice" you to make a bad call.

Sidenote: I would warn you that a lot of aggressive players like to go for the limp/raise with AK/QQ+ in EP because they think their aggressive image will get them looked up light (even though the limp/raise with AK/QQ+ seems transparent). So, don't pay off aggressive players' limp/raises from EP lightly UNTIL you see evidence that they are capable of limp/raising lightly.