Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Concept from Podcast No. 203

ILikeGamble Posts: 89Subscriber
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Around the 15:30 mark, Bart discusses a hand where he is debating what bet sizing to choose after the Villain checks to him and the Villain has about a half pot size bet left on the river.

He then defines X as a bet size where we will call a shove if our opponent shoves over our X bet size. If we choose a size less than X, we can fold to a check/raise. If we bet X or larger, we will always call a river check raise due to pot odds.

I find myself in these situations somewhat frequently at 100BB capped games.

As Bart suggests, betting smaller is a way to reduce the pot odds when you are raised and makes it easier to fold when raised. The flip side to that, which he acknowledged, is that he is losing value the times when his opponents just call and would've called a larger bet.

Does anyone have any math/logic/opinion to justify making a bet smaller than X and then folding to a check/raise or raise vs making a bet equal to or greater than X and calling the raise??

Bart said in the podcast that he had not really gotten an answer to this from the people he had asked.

If anyone wants to hear the full discussion before responding, it lasts about 5 minutes, from 15:30-20:30.

Comments

• workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    therin lies the rub of NL poker. largely, how much you feel is right to bet will come down to experience, table dynamics, image, etc. I don't think I could ever say I'm positive how much is the right amount to bet if that amount is between zero and all in. just have to do the best and gradually your bet sizing will approach, but never quite meet, optimal bet sizing. even if there is some logic or formula that might help, I feel there are likely too many non tangible variables that would skew it.
  • pokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Agree with working hard that there are just too many variables and it's always situational based on our hand equity and what we think V has vs pot size and stack depth. For the most part people don't play back unless they have a hand so you can often bluff thinner becasuse if they are folding the amount doesn't often matter. However you need to be hand reading and know your V as it may take more to get them off a low pair that they just can't fold because "too much is in the pot". If you are OK with a call but aren't going to call a raise you should probably just be value betting what ever you think will get called by worse and doesn't commit you in some way. It's so rare people play back I don't worry about it too much until it happens.