Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

KK preflop fold

justfourfun Posts: 162Subscriber
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 $500 capped game at Horseshoe in Chicago. Table just opened 9 players - V and hero buy in for $500. V is ?; 20ish. Third hand at new game. Hero opens utg to $15 w/KK, folds to V on button who raises to $65. Hero 3 bets to $165. V quickly shoves. Hero turns over KK and looks for reaction from V. Hero folds. Two regs at table that hero know and is friendly with start laughing and say "wtf is wrong with you?" After playing with V for a few more hours hero tags V as a weak player and regrets fold. Hero has a general rule that he is never folding here. Why the fold? Only explanation is that we all just sat down and Hero thinks it's too early for V to be willing to shove with AK; QQ. Give a player some time to get comfortable and then expand his range. Is there any defense of my fold here? (V tells me he had aces later)
Tagged:

Comments

• justfourfun Posts: 162Subscriber
    Not sure how to tag as 2/5???
  • Stonewalled Posts: 480Subscriber
    I think it's very seldom right to fold KK in a 100 BB game. If you do the numbers, you'll see that he doesn't often have to have something other than AA to make a call correct. I would only consider folding here if I had a very specific read that the player was an absolute rock who never shoves less than AA. Here, the player is unknown, so I wouldn't fold.
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,092Subscriber
    I have folded KK pre (and was right - http://www.crushlivepoker.com/forums/discussion/7226/5-10-fold-kk-pre ), but this is definitely not the spot for it.

I'm not sure what the standard open sizing is in this game, but you open $15, which is usually a bit weak.
    BU could be attacking your "weak sizing" with less than super-premium hand. After you 4bet him, because it's only $500 deep - he could easily be telling himself:
    - w/e.. I got QQ or JJ - I'm not folding for $500 ...or
    - he could level himself that you think he's stealing on the BU..who knows...

The only way I would fold is if I had long history with the player and knew he that he's a MEGA nit and NEVER 3bets QQ/AK.