Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Playing AKs against a 3bet. Call, raise or fold?

OMGitsWorm Posts: 272SubscriberProfessional
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hand 3 (18/12/16)

I'm a bit more than a part time player and my winnings help fund my life. I currently float between 7-8bb/hr and I want to get up to 10bb/hr next year. So I have some work to do and want CLP team support.

Tonight was a $5/$5 game $200-$700.
I haven't had a over a $2k loss since 11/11/16. But it's like every month I have at least one big lose. Tonight I lost $2.3k and I need advice on these hands. I wasn't tilted and playing crappy hands after I lost a big pot. I think I had a different type of tilt where if had a decent enough hand I just wanted to get it and get some back and get some momentum.

What's the thoughts of playing over agrressive in these spots?!Were generally I'm infront but tonight I just value owned myself.

I'm playing what looks agressive and building that image. Opening and 3beting more than normal, but my pre flop hand distributions are making this happen.
I've shown one bluff for a $50 bet in a small pot.

V is just your standard player. Only one 3 bet this session. His 3b range would be AK, QQ -AA. Occasionally 10 10-JJ but I don't think in this game tonight. Never seen him 3b bluff or light.

Hero opens AK Hj $30 ($700 effective)
Co calls $30
V button 3b $130. Last time he 3 bet he put a $100 on top. Never seen his hand.
What is the best play for H in this spot when you know V 3b range is so tight? Should I just fold? I find myself in this spot quite often with AK.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jacklamb Posts: 561Subscriber
    edited December 2016
    What position is Villain? If you're in position it changes the hand a lot.
    With his range just fold given sizing. AKo I definitely fold. Sometimes what I do is say I'll play AKs of hearts and spades and fold diamonds and clubs to keep half the combos and not be too nitty. But really you're fine to fold it OOP. Lose $30 bucks or play a big pot OOP almost surely behind or possibly chopping? There are no set rules as to how to play any particular hand in this game.
  • 2thdoctor Posts: 66Subscriber
    Just fold, villian is doing you a favor turning his hand face up
  • OMGitsWorm Posts: 272SubscriberProfessional
    Thank you. I think I'm going to fix one of my biggest leaks with AK in this game
  • PBJTIME Posts: 339Subscriber
    What are the stack sizes?

Are you guys really folding AKs in this spot?
    What hands are you continuing with if you're folding AKs here?

This seems super nitty and exploitable to me.
  • Benjamin Posts: 14Subscriber
    PBJTIME said:

This seems super nitty and exploitable to me.
    It is super nitty and exploitable but never 3 betting unless you have AA,KK, is even more nitty and exploitable.

I think if they have been playing for 1 hour and villain has 3 bet once, this is a terrible fold. If they have been playing for ten hours and villain has 3 bet once, it's a much better fold.

Also worth it to note that folding AKs here this time doesn't mean we're folding AKs to him next time. If we start doing something too much then we can start talking about being exploited and having leaks etc but against this one player this first time I think a fold is totally fine if he's a 3 bet nit.
  • fishcake Posts: 998Subscriber
    Easiest call ever pre. Do not fold, wtf. And I'm very tight against 3bs.
  • squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
    against a range of qq-aa, ak and just 2 convos of jj we are 37%.

need 34% to make this call. if he's ever three betting jj, this is a call IMO
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,132Subscriber
    squishmytomato said:
    against a range of qq-aa, ak and just 2 convos of jj we are 37%.

need 34% to make this call. if he's ever three betting jj, this is a call IMO
    I don't think that's correct way to look at it. The EQ % only apply to AI situation (or if you're guaranteed that the rest of the hand will go check/check/check which we pretty much guaranteed it will not)
    OMGitsWorm said:
    His 3b range would be AK, QQ -AA. Occasionally 10 10-JJ but I don't think in this game tonight.
    If you're confident in this range - this is the easiest fold ever.
    Look at it. How are you gonna make money with AK vs this range?

You're also OOP to 2 players and 3rd player might even have one of your outs (even if you do have outs)

If I thought he has some more JJs and possibly sometimes TTs in his range I'd consider flatting AKs, but prob still fold AKo in this specific situation 3 way OOP.

I just noticed the thread title says "AKs", but the post says AK
    Do you have A K or AxK ?
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,239Member
    edited December 2016
    The best part about flatting oop is that V will bluff when we hit, the worst part is that we don't get another dollar from him once an over card to his pair hits.
    If we're suited and flop the nut draw we should be willing to play for stacks @ anything less than 200BB.
    In addition, we can and should consider other ways of playing AKs @$700 eff. If he's squeeze happy otb.
    Clock said:
    I just noticed the thread title says "AKs", but the post says AK
    Do you have A K or AxK ?
    AKs meant a suited AK it wa ms the AK of diamonds

To every one that has posted thatnks for your time. Such a simple mistake I have been making. Over playing AK against players that you never see 3bet light. I guess I assume other regs are like me that I do 3bet different hands against different players. Levying myself into thinking they think like me gets me into trouble.

I easily folded my AK last night pre. They just don't 3bet light so I'm not really doing myself a favour calling
  • Jacklamb Posts: 561Subscriber
    Letmewin1 said:
    The best part about flatting oop is that V will bluff when we hit, the worst part is that we don't get another dollar from him once an over card to his pair hits.
    If we're suited and flop the nut draw we should be willing to play for stacks @ anything less than 200BB.
    In addition, we can and should consider other ways of playing AKs @$700 eff. If he's squeeze happy otb.
    So you're saying we will never get value when we hit? Looks like you are saying he is never bluffing when we hit a pair.
    Definitely worth considering 4betting this hand here but vs a different opponent or if this guy is getting out of line.

I'm defiantly 4b AKs against a V that is getting out of line, In any position.

I do agree the problem with the AK hand is it's an Ace high flop the V may not bet there under pair. And the only time they are putting money in is when they have hit a set
    Thank you for the help guys. Played AK suited against a 3bet how it was suggested and I had good success in 2 spots. The V was 3betring light and I was able to keep his bluffs in and he bet 2 streets. 2 streets of value I may not of got if I decide to play it how I normally would.