Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Hand analysis

imatexroimatexro Posts: 7Subscriber
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2/5 deep game. 8 handed. Av stack 2000+. Villain is a pretty tight regular, somehow sticky. Hero has dynamic with villain, taking about 75% of pots from villain. Hero has LAG image, winning, balanced player.

This hand we play with straddle up to 20 so it's 1/2/5/10/20.

Hero is in first straddle with k 9. There are 2 limpers, hero limps. Villain who is 20 straddle raises to 100. Everybody folds to the hero. Hero decides to call. Pot is 260. Effective stack is about 2700.

Flop K j 6. Hero checks. Villain bets 130. Hero calls.

Pot is now 520. Turn is q Hero checks, villain checks.

River is 3. Final board is K J 6 Q 3. Hero leads 375 for value.

What do you think about this play and what happened after ? I will write you the continuation and explanations after your answers. Thank you

Original Post:

1/2/5 deep game. 8 handed. Av stack 2000+. Villain is a pretty tight regular, somehow sticky. Hero has dynamic with villain, taking about 75% of pots from villain. Hero has LAG image, winning, balanced player. This hand we play with straddle up to 20 so it's 1/2/5/10/20. Hero is in first straddle with k:d: 9:d:. There are 2 limpers, hero limps. Villain who is 20 straddle raises to 100. Everybody folds to the hero. Hero decides to call. Pot is 260. Effective stack is about 2700. Flop K:h: j:d: 6:h:. Hero checks. Villain bets 130. Hero calls. Pot is now 520. Turn is q:s:. Hero checks, villain checks. River is 3:h:. Final board is K:h: J:d: 6:h: Q:s: 3:h:. Hero leads 375 for value. What do you think about this play and what happened after ? I will write you the continuation and explanations after your answers. Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• DrSpace Posts: 715Subscriber
    PlEASE INDICATE THE STAKES ON THE POST
    TY
  • BartBart Posts: 5,725AdministratorLeadPro
    Welcome to the forums.

A few things to make your post better which will lead to it getting more responses.

1. Tag your post the correct stakes at the bottom of the original post in the tag field

2. Space your post so that it is not a wall of text

3. The suit syntax need to be proper spacing so K:c: should be K (space)

I edited it in the OP.

• BartBart Posts: 5,725AdministratorLeadPro
    edited December 2016
    To answer your question about the hand.. yeah thats a crazy bet for value on the third heart. That's way more turning your hand into a bluff than anything else. There's just no way you can get called by worse on this river. If you ended up getting raised your opponent is very polarized to flushes or A. The funny thing is that there are times where you can be bluffing on the river and then actually call a raise as your bluff turns into a bluff catcher if a raise makes no sense.

The first time I read the hand I thought the river was an os 3 and even then its super super thin to bet K9 for that sizing. Unless you were playing some sort of advanced merge play where you wanted to make it look like your bet was polarized on the river to busted hearts or KQ plus. But once the pot gets large, people will check back all kinds of hands for pot control that beat you and will call on the river, like AK, AA even a hand has strong as KJ (notice that KJ loses to KQ and two different straights)

This hand seems eerily similar to to this hand.. http://www.crushlivepoker.com/forums/discussion/10520/5-10-assumptions-assumptions#latest
  • iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
    Yes..definitely too thin.

Here is a quick question I ask myself when I am considering a thin value bet.

What bluffs do I have here? Your flush draws completed on the river. Your straight draws have made a pair with the turned queen. So what are you bluffing with? I guess you could have some Ah floats on the flop that want to bluff the river. And may be you want to bluff 6x on the river. Even then your flushes and straights and 2 pairs should be able to balance out those bluffs.

So since you don't have very many bluffs you probably shouldn't be thin value betting.
  • imatexroimatexro Posts: 7Subscriber
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for your reply and for editing my initial post.

Back to the hand. Villain called with A Q . As I have mentioned, we have a history with the villain. We play twice a week this game and the configuration of the table is usually 5-7 regs(mostly the same) and 3-5 fish. So there is a lot of adjusting/balancing and leveling between regs. This is important piece of information. He is pretty tight so when he raises preflop, his range is capped to KQs, AJs+ and TT+. He would check any smaller suited connectors or pairs. We both know that. He also knows I am capable to float against regs so when calling the preflop raise my range could be wide as we are deep.

Back to the hand. On the flop it's an easy call for me. He would cbet almost his entire range. Except fd hands which he would bet only a small proportion of the time. And the only fd hands he could have there are A Q and A J . Those I think he would check back on the flop as he knows I would attack most of the turns and he would have a potential nuts hand to trap me. Anyway, if he would decide to bet his fd hands, he would have to bet all 3 streets in case he gets called.

My plan in the hand when I call on the flop is to check fold most of the turns. The turn is Q . As he checks the turn back, I am almost sure I have the best hand in this moment. He would bet there any set, any AK, KQ for value. The only hand that beats me and he could check it back would be AA. So his range in this moment is mostly AQ without fd, TT, sometimes AA and rarely A J

The turn is perfect for me. 3 . I decide to bet and fold to a raise. The only hand that would beat me and just call is AA. My bet looks very polarised there. I bet in this spot for two reasons. First for value as I beat most of his calling range. The second and most important is to be able to extend my bluffing frequency in future hands and also get value with flushes from two pair or better.

Please tell me if you consider I have flaws in my thinking process or if I am making a mistake. I would never play like this against a fish or a player I don't know.

Thank you again.
  • maphacks Posts: 1,985Subscriber
    I think pre is close, I lean towards folding without more information.

flop seems fairly standard.

river I would check. everything got there and your range is very strong here. ---> valuebet less, bluff more.

K9 IMO is too thin. it's legit for villain to check AA or AK back OTT and maybe even some flushdraws. if you put yourself in his shoes, what potential bluffs can you have here? you would have to turn QT/AJ/JTs into a bluff. I would discount a majority of those hand if I was your villain and definitely fold everything weaker and maybe even hands like AA/AK (more often than not I would bet them OTT though).