Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flopped straight vs good pro

squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
edited January 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$5/5/10 utg straddle

V is a solid pro. Plays pretty snug preflop. Aggressive post and can barrel favorable run outs. Probably does not value bet quite as thin as he should on the river. We've played together a bit, but have played very very few big pots against each other.

I have 73 in the UTG straddle. V is in SB (and completes). Pot limps 4 ways. $1500 eff.

Flop ($40): 456 :r:

V checks. I bet 30. Field players calls. V check raises to 90. I call (are we ever 3 betting here with 78? if so should we be with 73 and 34? what about 66?). Field players folds.

Turn ($250): 2

v 140. I call.

River ($530): 2

v checks. i....?

interested in feedback on flop and river

Comments

• Jacklamb Posts: 561Subscriber
    Flop I like just calling. If he's good I think you shut him down when you come back over the top and you don't allow the field player the chance to call.
    Turn do you consider raising?
    River it's tough to get value from worse. He's rarely if ever raising flop with a 3. So he likely has the high end of the straight, something like 67, a set or two pair. I would not expect him to check the river with a full house so maybe bet like $200 and hope for a call from a pair or flopped two pair?
  • DrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    bet 200-300
    hope he has 34,35
    3s should play like this and should call
  • HeyWayne Posts: 20Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    I think that your hand is moderately disguised here and can definitely look like you missed a draw. Certainly a small value bet isn't a bad idea. Something like $250 or so. But I also think it's worth considering bombing this river with a PSB. Is it not possible for V to level himself in to a call here if we make our hand look polarized?

Bart says we can get looked up light on these types of boards.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I think we can go as big as 350, 375 and not really expect a 3 to fold.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    hes is either bluffing and wont call or if its who I think it he is likely checking to call

therefore I would bet bigger. $500

if he check raises your sick but you have to fold.
  • iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
    350. Folding to a raise because we can have all full houses here.
    quincyjack said:
    bet 200-300
    hope he has 34,35
    3s should play like this and should call
    I agree that its very likely villain has a straight..
  • squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
    i disagree with much of the discussion here so far. i think v almost has a straight, but he never has just a bare 3.

also, what does our hand look like?
  • HeyWayne Posts: 20Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    squishmytomato said:
    i disagree with much of the discussion here so far. i think v almost has a straight, but he never has just a bare 3.

also, what does our hand look like?

If he always has a straight but never has a bare 3 then we'd be turning our hand in to a bluff. What amount do you bet that you think will make him fold 73 or 78? To me, your hand is under represented IMO due to only calling his raise OTF and flatting his bet OTT. Your non-straight hands could look like a pair with a 7, bare 7's, 2 pair, maybe even 77 or 88.

Edit: I should add that I don't think most players, pro's included, are ever folding a straight here.
    If your read is that he has a straight, check is best.

I would not turn this hand into a bluff. I would think my hand is good and value bet. But if this solid pro only has a straight here or is trapping with a full house, then value bet is too thin and check it down.

It is not unreasonable to check strong hands against nitty solid live pros since their ranges are so narrow to get to a certain spot.
    iamallin said:

I would not turn this hand into a bluff. I would think my hand is good and value bet. But if this solid pro only has a straight here or is trapping with a full house, then value bet is too thin and check it down.

It is not unreasonable to check strong hands against nitty solid live pros since their ranges are so narrow to get to a certain spot.
    I agree the better the villain the more likely I am checking back or going for broke to get him off a chop or the nut straight. This boils down to a read thing. There are some players at Hustler that I think are capable of checking here with a full house or the nut straight to induce Squishy (who generally has an aggro image) to bet. If this was one of them then i think a check is best.

If its not one of these guys then strange as it sounds I big bet (pot or more) might get him to fold everything.. since he would not have checked a full house .. but this play is high variance and very dependent on that notion that villain has a fold button (as conlan and david like to describe it).

If this villain wont fold then I would never try this play and just check back.

• squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
    iamallin said:

if we think vs range is pretty much always 23s, 73s and 78, u still don't think a bluff here is warranted?
    We have worse hands to bluff with. How about counterfeited 2 pair? Or 77? Or 67s or 57s?

Not a fan of turning hands as strong as 73 into bluffs in position when we can just check back and see a showdown.

If you knew this player will just fold everything then yeah we can just exploit him by betting everything and taking down the pot no matter what he has. But I don't think 78 will fold. And probably not even 73. That's just my opinion. Who knows how this player plays.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I think he calls too often with 78 to try to bluff 3x/73/78.
    You said he is tight preflop , so bare 3x is going to be more rare for him to complete with than 78. Also I think his completing from SB frequency is reduced with 73, which also makes 78 a stronger part of his range.

Can he also be value owning with a boat ?
    I think I check it down and take my lumps here if he has us beat.