Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/3 NL - Help me not butcher this hand.

HeyWayne Posts: 20Subscriber
edited January 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I am picking poker up again after a 3 months break and have been trouble with bet sizing on some hands that I plan to post.

In this hand it's around 1am on a Friday night. Hero has a beer and $500. Hero has at least 100 hours played with villain 1. Villain 1 is a mid 40's fish who has Hero covered. He's a reg and can play aggressively and make big bluffs at times. Normally it's not the right times. He also has a history of calling (me) down light. Hero also has a history of calling villain down light. Villain 2, MAWG, has $250 and is unknown.

Villain 1 limps UTG
Villain 2 limps in MP
Hero raises to $20 in MP with 9 9
Blinds fold, both villains call.

Flops ($63)
5 6 9 rainbow board.
Villains check to Hero, who checks behind.

Turn ($63)
5 , completing the rainbow.
Villain 1 bets $50
Villain 2 folds
Hero raises to $150.

I will wait for some discussion before posting my thoughts. I don't like how I played the hand.

Comments

• abstractls Posts: 35Subscriber
    I really don't like checking behind here. Are we scared specifically of 78? You nailed your hand get value from lower sets, over cards, A9, A5 A6 type hands. If he is calling down light let him call down light. As played I dont like the reraise as it's very tough for him to have a 5 here. Let him bit light and reraise on river
  • HeyWayne Posts: 20Subscriber
    No which is why I butchered he hand. I was afraid of getting no action.
  • qbert80 Posts: 52Subscriber
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I also don't like checking flop, particularly since V1 has history of calling down light. We want to get stacks in by river, so betting flop would help.

As played, I like the turn raise. Need to bump it up and pray V1 has something that can withstand a raise. Most hands can - any 5 will call, and a lot of 6X hands have straight draws, so they'll call too. You maybe could size a tad bigger like up to $175, but I like the $100 raise to goad pair + straight draws to stick around. I think the turn sizing should allow you to bet all in on the river after V1 calls the turn raise.
    What are we thinking on flip bet sizing here? Part of me thinks we don't get called by much but another part of me thinks we will get some Floats, and even with the right bet sizing induce some bluffs from this type of villain with what I would say is extreme meta.
  • qbert80 Posts: 52Subscriber
    If you throw out a $25 cbet on flop you should get some action (floats, maybe even bluffs as you say) on this raggedy board, which figures to hit their preflop limping range more than your preflop raising range.

Thanks. I know this probably seems like a standard spot but I took ~ 4 months off and just picked back up this week.

If you wouldn't mind checking out my other thread. I've had some issues in the form of poor river bet sizing the last 2 weeks.
  • pokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Just bet like $40 OTF. He's an aggressive fish which means he's coming along 90% of the time. No need to slow play.