Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Did I do this to myself?

2/5 game, I sit with about $425, villain has me covered with about $1.5K. Villain plays straight forward. I have been raising my share of hands at the table and have shown strong hands when I've gotten to show down.
I am in the SB, villain is UTG.
UTG raises to 35, Button calls (he has played every hand since he sat down), I make it 127 to go with AA. 3x the raise plus the caller.
UTG thinks and calls, button huffs and folds.
Flop: JT6 rainbow
I bet 125
UTG calls, Im thinking QQ/KK/AK, he would raise any sets
Turn: 3c completing the rainbow, I've got less than a pot sized bet left so I jam, he calls
River: Q the only card in the deck I did not want to see.
You can guess what he had......

Could I have played this better? How?
Jam on the flop? Was I being greedy? Am I not getting a typical 2/5 player off even a gut shot with my small stack?
Tagged:

Comments

  • A_A Posts: 30Member
    why would you want to get someone with 4 or 2 outs off the hand? I would have jammed flop but not to make him fold but rather I find it easier to get looked up by 22-99 in a 2/5 game when I jam a non-A/K board than otherwise (people think I have AK). Anyway you played it fine. AA do lose sometimes.
  • malcolmwade3 Posts: 13Subscriber
    I think you played it fine but the logic of thinking he would raise sets on the flop I don't completely agree with just because that J doesn't hit your range as hard as an A or K would so he could have waited for a card that would hit your range harder to raise or hope something comes that gives you a flush draw since even if he has bottom set on the flop he's only losing to 6 combos of hands and he could potentially get you to fold all of your bluffs in your range if he raises that rainbow board on the flop. against a competent player I would be worried about putting myself in a way behind way ahead scenario because even AJ here could fold against a substantial amount of pressure on the turn and two pairs and sets are most likely calling I feel. but against someone who is playing every hand I think putting him on a par and jamming the turn because you don't think he will fold any pairs on the turn could be a good strategy. (Completely disregard the first part about not raising sets if you've seen him raise every set he's made on the flop).
    by 1JoeD73
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,243Member
    Don't beat yourself up, he got lucky but you maximized value!
    Hand played well IMHO, move on to the next one they don't always get lucky.
    by 1JoeD73
  • malcolmwade3 Posts: 13Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    Letmewin1 said:
    Don't beat yourself up, he got lucky but you maximized value!
    Hand played well IMHO, move on to the next one they don't always get lucky.
    Do you think it's always maximizing value shoving here on the turn? it seems like a lot of hands will fold and that are worse. I mean you have to only be targeting KK, QQ and AJ here right?and even AJ might fold a small percentage of the time on such a dry board.
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    I think the only thing I would have done differently is size by 3 bet a little smaller. Given the SPRs & the way the hand was played there's no way I'm not losing my stack here. I would chalk it up to variance & try not to be results oriented.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    Going to the flop there is an SPR of 1. This hand plays itself. The only thing I would say is you could have shoved flop.
    by 2A_A JoeD73
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,243Member
    edited January 2017
    malcolmwade3 said:
    Letmewin1 said:
    Don't beat yourself up, he got lucky but you maximized value!
    Hand played well IMHO, move on to the next one they don't always get lucky.
    Do you think it's always maximizing value shoving here on the turn? it seems like a lot of hands will fold and that are worse. I mean you have to only be targeting KK, QQ and AJ here right?and even AJ might fold a small percentage of the time on such a dry board.
    The way the hand played yes I do think there are worse hands that would call a shove OTT.
    If shoving flop would get worse to call because V would think it's AK-->and they do most times-->then shoving flop is better.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,546Subscriber
    I think you played it really well. You bet 1/2 pot putting 60% in the middle making the pot $330 with only $250 left to bet. When he calls he isn't folding.

    Sometimes you make the right play and there is nothing you can do the cards just come for your opponent.
  • malcolmwade3 Posts: 13Subscriber
    Letmewin1 said:
    malcolmwade3 said:
    Letmewin1 said:
    Don't beat yourself up, he got lucky but you maximized value!
    Hand played well IMHO, move on to the next one they don't always get lucky.
    Do you think it's always maximizing value shoving here on the turn? it seems like a lot of hands will fold and that are worse. I mean you have to only be targeting KK, QQ and AJ here right?and even AJ might fold a small percentage of the time on such a dry board.
    The way the hand played yes I do think that are worse hands that would call a shove OTT.
    If shoving flop would get worse to call because V would think it's AK-->and they do most times-->then shoving flop is better.
    Okay yea I see what you mean. And I agree a lot of times recs will think this is AK or just a weak play and call with worse hands.
  • IAM_Redeemed Posts: 46Subscriber
    I think you played it fine. With these small eff stack sizes, I would even cbet like 95 to keep in the weaker end of his range, or make him spazz ship over. If he calls, I would shove any turn.
  • Jacklamb Posts: 561Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    I'd raise more pre. OOP you want to make it larger and also you're in a "squeeze" spot and should get looked up a little lighter. More like 4x plus caller so $150. Either way I'm betting flop and jamming turn. You got coolered? It's going to happen. I'm guessing he has QQ?
  • JoeD73 Posts: 18Subscriber
    Thanks for all your insights! He got lucky, I get that. He had AK and rivered the straight. I was pretty ticked because it was my 3rd cooler/suck out (another gut shot suck out) of the day between a daily tournament I was playing prior and this cash game.
    I was certainly being results oriented, because I felt I played the hand correctly for max value. It took restraint to not jam the flop as I did not want him to fold and the phrase "get value" was ringing in my head.
Sign In or Register to comment.