Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/3

Fiestagirl Posts: 40Subscriber
edited January 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3. Two fifty effective. I'm on the cutoff. Button straddles for 6.Six people call the straddle. I look down at A10s. I felt like I should have raised. If so how much?
Tagged:

Comments

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    i'd go 40-50
  • Fiestagirl Posts: 40Subscriber
    Thanks. That sounds about right.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,302Subscriber
    Agree with Stay here
  • Acidhauss Posts: 291Subscriber
    Raising is fine, but I will say:

1. You're buying in short, maybe you're trying to build up a roll.
    2. You're playing in a very loose-passive game, with very little fold-equity.
    3. Bad players at the lower stakes make most of their mistakes on the flop.

For those two reasons, I like an overlimp assuming nobodies putting you to the sword on your left. ATs plays well in position, and can easily get 2-3 nice streets of value if you're a confident post-flop player.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,302Subscriber
    Some good points above. I have actually limped for reason #2 and #3.

I made the assumption our poster can get folds here most of the time.

A 3rd option BTW is if the BUT straddle is a constant notorious 3 better with trash in these spots which collect folds. In that case you could limp reraise collecting double the money. Especially if his stack is close to the $180 mark.

Lets say he raises to $40-$50, now you back raise all in. He has a tough choice getting about 2:1. Most of his range will be worse than yours. And yes I have done this too.
  • Acidhauss Posts: 291Subscriber
    :tu:

Bear in mind, I'm from the UK and play different games. From what I understand isolating is a good bit more successful in US games, e.g. Vegas games full of locals.

And yeah 100% its down to whether people fold or not. ATs also keeps in dominated hands like A3o which people might just fold to a raise anyway. Despite not picking up the dead money, I think theres signficant value to be had in letting recs see flops and hit TPBK that they can't/won't fold for a few medium bets.

Limping is actually a huge part of my arsenal in my local games, I'll often just limp along with even a hand like AJo, KTo in some circumstances looking to flop top/middle pair and go for value. Obviously this all relies on you being somewhat competent post-flop.

Limp re-raising reasonable also with a maniac on the straddle!

• Fiestagirl Posts: 40Subscriber
    Very good stuff. Thanks