Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Podcast No. 225 "In Defense of Pocket Pairs"

BartBart Posts: 5,887AdministratorLeadPro

This week Bart talks about pocket pairs in 3 bet and single raised pots from a theoretical perspective. He then compares those thoughts with what he thinks is the best exploitable approach to betting live games.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/in-defense-of-pocket-pairs
Tagged:

Comments

• ddz Posts: 150SubscriberProfessional
    Anyone else having problems with skipping audio starting around 18:30ish?
  • BartBart Posts: 5,887AdministratorLeadPro
    This is fixed now.
  • bingyian Posts: 90Subscriber
    Bart in the last hand do you not give villain 95? He could be raising that for value on the river. Do you completely discount that preflop? Or is it heavily heavily discounted because of the extreme parlay on calling preflop calling flop and calling turn. So 1 combo (if I have board distribution right) of 95s discounted like crazy??

Thanks
    bingyian said:
    Bart in the last hand do you not give villain 95? He could be raising that for value on the river. Do you completely discount that preflop? Or is it heavily heavily discounted because of the extreme parlay on calling preflop calling flop and calling turn. So 1 combo (if I have board distribution right) of 95s discounted like crazy??

Thanks
    I don't think a competent player plays 95s to a UTG raise. And the type of player to play 95s to a raise is certainly going to raise the flop for protection.
  • bingyian Posts: 90Subscriber
    Thanks! Also were you surprised to hear Q7s is in his calling range?
    bingyian said:
    Thanks! Also were you surprised to hear Q7s is in his calling range?
    I was indeed. But I think that that is a little stronger than 95s
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 383Subscriber
    When you were talking about reasons to limp instead of raise with small pocket pairs it got me wondering if we should take the same approach with AK. I had started a thread about it here crushlivepoker.com/forums/discussion/10366/is-it-better-to-be-passive-with-ak-pre-flop-in-small-stakes-100-bb-capped-games#latest & would like to get your thoughts. Keep in mind this is in a small stakes 100 BB capped game. Thank you.
    There was (still is) and old codger name Scotty Lungren that used to make a mountain of $$ during and before the heyday of NL. He played the only big bet game in town before the poker boom, 5-10 PL Holdem at Hollywood Park in the 90s and early 2000s. Also did quite alright for himself through 2010, although I don't think he plays that much these days.

He used to implement a strategy of limping big aces from up front to get people to over commit with their top pair shitty kickers post flop. But at that time there was a lot of limping going preflop and raises from upfront usually meant super premium hands.

In this day in age, I think you lose way too much value from limping AK. I just think you could possibly adjust your raise size a bit and not blow people out of the water with small off suited aces in these games. I think AK is too good of a hand not to raise for value and you would be leaving money on the table if you didn't. There is nothing wrong with building the pot up with the best hand preflop. Also raising allows you to cbet bluff in certain spots with equity as 22 on a QJ5 board is not going to realize its equity as if all 5 cards will run out with no betting.