Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Folding turned set

Jordan Posts: 78Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1-2 200max game
I've played 2 orbits.
Villain is middle aged lady who seems tight. Have not seen her play a hand.
I have $230 she covers.
She is UTG+1 and opens for 12,
I flat with 99
Button calls...
Flop Ac 5c 4s
Checks through.
Turn is 9s.
She bets 15, I raise to 40, Button folds, she ships.
I fold and show 99... She shows AA

My question is, if I think her opening range is super tight, like JJ+ and AK, should I be betting the flop to take her off KK, QQ, JJ?
I think there was 0% chance she plays AK like that...
Should I be flatting the turn if my intent is to raise fold?

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Is 6x the normal raise for that game? Since she seems tight she may be the type of player who would bet with KK or QQ on the flop regardless of the ace "to see where they are" even though it doesnt.. or she may check ... I think you played it fine.. you checked back flop and when you hit the turn you raised for value and of course she shipped it with a set of Aces and you folded.

I don't like your show of the set though.. Don't let the other players know that you are a good player..I know it's tough because you are proud of your play but it will cost you money in the long run..

On monday against a player I hadn't seen in months he asks me if I still have @Zachpoker as my coach. I could have killed him... great now everyone at the table knows that I have invested in my game.. the laggy played differently against me after that.. Just don't give them any additional information voluntarily..

Wendy
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    there is no need to bet to get her off a pocket pair that missed. more than likely she will still check the turn with QQ and fold to a bet (or maybe a turn and river bet is needed) while cursing that damn ace! plus: it's ok to not win every pot. you called with an implied odds hand with deep enough effective stacks to make $$ when you hit. it didn't work out this time, but if it had come 932 in this hand, you would have doubled up.

re: poker talk at the table. i know -- i hate it when i'm watching gangnam style on my phone and laughing with the guy next to me, and some other guy asks if there was any way to get away from his JJ hand a few minutes ago, or blurts out something about how i've been running hot and crushing lately (this can often be the dealer who says that shit too!).
  • chilidog said

re: poker talk at the table. i know -- i hate it when i'm watching gangnam style on my phone and laughing with the guy next to me, and some other guy asks if there was any way to get away from his JJ hand a few minutes ago, or blurts out something about how i've been running hot and crushing lately (this can often be the dealer who says that shit too!).
    This happened to me last night. A dealer sat down at the table and proceeds to blurt out what a big stack I had over the weekend. I proclaimed great luck and he says how patient I always am and pick great spots etc....All I could think was time for a table change.