Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$5-$5 Hustler $1000 Triple Barrel?

BartBart Posts: 5,997AdministratorLeadPro
edited April 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Late last night around 1am. Hero has neutral image and just came to the table. V1 is mid 50s white guy, likes to lay tournaments. Loose preflop.

2 limps in MP1-2 And Hero raises with $1300 effective to $30 on the button with J T V1 calls in sb. BB and limpers call.

$150: FLOP: 2 2 3

Checked to Hero who bets $80. Sb calls, all other fold.

$310 TURN 8

Sb Checks, Hero $195.. sb thinks for a while and calls.

$700 RIVER: 9

Hero does not think he is sophisticated enough to play a strong hand as a check on the river. Is the 9 a good card for us? Should we empty the clip?

Tagged:

Comments

• fishcake Posts: 1,002Subscriber
    Go for it. Pretty hard to call down here with 44-77.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    edited April 2017
    im not betting big again. this guy cant flat pre w overpairs. what you could do is simply under bluff and hope he folds

this guy loves just loves suited cards and on that flop what type of draws can he have? Wheel. straight overpairs turn. brings a badugi so he isn't calling turn w a flush too.

you could go for like $200 and thats about it
  • BartBart Posts: 5,997AdministratorLeadPro
    Thehammah said:
    im not betting big again. this guy cant flat pre w overpairs. what you could do is simply under bluff and hope he folds
    Can or can't?
  • squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
    i personally would not run a triple barrel against this guy as he tends to be a bit stationy. since he plays so many tournies, he may view a large river bet here as a boat or nothing as he would NEVER bet an overpair on the river here after getting called twice.

i guess it depends what he thinks of you. but i wudnt be surprised to be hero called by a small pair from this guy.
  • squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352SubscriberProfessional
    Bart said:
    Thehammah said:
    Can or can't?
    can. tricky trappy weird backwards tourney guy.
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,239Member
    edited April 2017
    It'll be much better if you West coasters that are familiar with V's don't comment in these type of threads as it becomes harder for anyone else to post a reasonable response.

Not taking above into consideration, I think this a good board to triple as you have range advantage, IME flops are called widest turns are called tighter but very few are capable of calling down light OTR because in their own mind they're not capable of bluffing and sacrificing big $$ on a bluff, so you should take advantage of that.
    I think with having $995ish left somewhere around $500 looks good.

@Thehammah

There are no flush draws and I don't really get why you're using the term undebluff, are you trying to make him fold A4/A5 exactly, don't you think most fold that OTT without picking up additional equity?
    Or is this specially vs this player?
  • jesusisnoob Posts: 8Subscriber
    I feel like this V's range should be pp's JJ through 66's. Since we block JJ and TT, I guess that would skew him more toward the lower pp's. Some of which could have made a set. Coupled with the the fact that the 9 doesn't really change our range much I think we should give up. Check back sir.
  • jesusisnoob Posts: 8Subscriber
    I feel like this V's range should be pp's JJ through 66's. Since we block JJ and TT, I guess that would skew him more toward the lower pp's. Some of which could have made a set. Coupled with the the fact that the 9 doesn't really change our range much I think we should give up. Check back sir.
  • ActionTwin Posts: 146SubscriberProfessional
    edited April 2017
    I think you should jam for the pot sized bet.

I would go for it in this case since you specifically block JJ and TT. You'd expect a 3b pre from QQ+ so he is capped at 77 unless he has the unlikely TT or JJ but given card removal and the fact that he should have some 3b frequency of those hands pre, it's unlikely. I think you could give up if you had a hand like KQ but here you have the perfect hand to run the triple barrel. It seems pretty unlikely he's slowplaying trips or a boat for this long. You should've heard from those hands by now.

I'd think about what I'd do if I had QQ, KK, or AA to get paid and it would NOT be to shove since I think I get him to fold a lot. I'd size smaller to get called. So in this case of wanting to exploit a rec player I'd be unbalanced and jam. He can give you credit for QQ+ here. Additionally it's beneficial for you that it was a rainbow flop so he can't put you on a missed flush draw and hero call.
  • maphacks Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    the river is certainly not a great card, but once you bet the turn, the plan has to be to bet the river especially if you don't think he will check boats.

bet 480 and hope he folds 77-44/A3s.

otherwise, give up turn against a MTT station
  • workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    First off, I don't think there much middle ground with the bet size. Either you are betting around pot or checking. I have to disagree with Wendy's underbluff suggestion.

This feels like he has almost exclusively pocket pairs.
    I think he would CR the turn a lot with 22, 33, or 88 so I'm discounting those. Also discounting KK, AA.
    I think he could have 99 sometimes. Most likely pairs up to the river are 44, 55, 66, 77, TT, JJ, maybe QQ
    Because you have JT, we kill some combos of JJ and TT. Most of his range is 44-77 which have all the combos so have more frequency than the 88-QQ combos. So, it's a good bet if it works enough. I think a pot size bet should work often enough.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Bart said:
    Thehammah said:
    Can or can't?
    he can flat with overpairs
  • BKismBKism Posts: 203SubscriberProfessional
    I do not bluff this river versus this V with out a true change of top pair, T-A.

J and T get bet for value.

A-Q are plausible bluffs. He just called two streets, nothing has changed, and what is better than picking off poker pro and TV personality, The Prince of the L.A. poker scene, Bart Hanson.

Give up, Bart. He does not seem to be playing 5th street chicken.

If you were a weaker player, this spot is an example of one of my favorite terms in poker, "The Inertia of Betting." Once a player starts betting, they cannot stop betting unless another force acts upon them.

I hope I am wrong and learn something here, though.

• bingyian Posts: 90Subscriber
    Bart, don't be afraid to empty the clip for the fans every now and then
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    Meh. It's an OK triple barrel spot in theory but that run out is fairy unscary for villain, and we're trying to convince an unknown we have an overpair+ even though we raised from the button. Doesn't seem like the best spot.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Yeah, we have a few factors working against us here: the run out isn't scary, he's a tourney player, which also makes a large river bet polarized in his eyes since most likley he isn't used to seeing people bet overpairs for 3 streets, tourney players are more likely to make weird plays like flatting pre with AA / KK (since they don't need to worry about getting max value with short stacks). I could see him potentially calling a river bet as light as AQ here.
  • LesterDiamondLesterDiamond Posts: 152Subscriber
    $435
  • gregns Posts: 28Subscriber
    At 1-2 and 2-5 I've been losing money betting the river in spots like this.
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,132Subscriber
    I would give up. :cry:
    A or K - I'd fire, but 9 does nothing for us.

I think he can flat any big PP pre 99+
    He could have A2..who knows maybe even A2o

Also even if he did call turn with something like 66 or 77 he obv not putting you on big OP, so I think he might look you up unless you bomb it.
    Just seems not worth it risking a huge bet unless we have a strong read that the guy is nit post-flop.