Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 Weird Poker hand against crazy villain

psi1122 Posts: 133Subscriber
edited July 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
V1 SB No particular history, he tends to under bets way too often with his entire range. So his small bet sizing doesn't mean strength or weakness perse. He's plays a bit more on the conservative side. ~260 to start the hand

V2 BB: Insane villain, he's capable of going crazy with very mediocre hands, and frequently overvalues hands. Earlier today, he called a 6-bet all-in from UTG with pocket tens. ~240 to start the hand.

Hero covers them both

Folded to hero on the button with T9o who raises to 8.

SB flats, BB flats

Flops comes 9 8 J

SB donks out 7, Villain raises to 28. Hero? Usually, this is a pretty clear fold here, and I usually will fold pretty comfortably here. But it there an argument for calling here if we do hit our straight, villain might go insane with just a jack, or two pair etc etc. AKA, do we have enough implied odds against a crazy villain?

Comments

• MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    edited July 2017
    I think we have implied odds against the BB for sure, & our pair might function as an effective bluff catcher later on. Usually I don't mind folding generally, but I lean toward going to the turn in this case.
  • psi1122 Posts: 133Subscriber
    edited July 2017
    Good, so my reasoning here isn't completely off. I was thinking that a call is probably justifiable given the BB willingess to stacking off, but only in this particular situation. Usually, be a pretty easy fold. BB is unlikely to bluff, but is far more likely to overvalue a pair, two pair than most opponents. Ideally, SB folds, and BB and I go heads up to the turn.

84 Flop is 9 8 J

SB donks 7, BB raises to 28, I call, SB calls

Turn is a 6

84 SB bets 45, BB calls 45. Hero?

Do we just need to fold here? or can we call, closing the action and mostly likely being able to stack BB on Q, or a 7? But it feels so perverse to fold for a half-pot sized bet here?
  • nopair Posts: 350Subscriber
    I assume the big blind has a Ten. That makes for an interesting situation. First on the flop, if he has a ten, do we want to try to isolate it, having a near freeroll if he has T4 or whatever, but hopelessly behind JT?

On the turn though, the real enemy is the SB. Very easy fold playing for half the pot at best. (The small blind might even have a ten.)
    Yeah I'm folding this turn.
    edited July 2017
    Yup, I don't disagree here that it's a fold, and I ended up folding, but a bit grossly. It just feels like so "ehh, to fold to less than half pot sized bet here. " I'm don't think BB range is solely a ten here. While he can for sure have some tens, I think a fair amount of his range is also just Jacks, maybe even some nine's that he's going crazy with on the flop, and various other two pair type hands, or maybe even sets. He's not too much into raising draws, (not really bluffy from what I see, more overvaluey).

We're really more concerned about SB here, I agree with you there, I'm not sure what's his calling range and donking range here. He could have some tens here,but I don't think he's donking the nuts here with T7s, or QTs? Feel that this donk is more of a made hand than the nuts/straight? Maybe I'm wrong here?

psi1122 said:
    Yup, I don't disagree here that it's a fold, and I ended up folding, but a bit grossly. It just feels like so "ehh, to fold to less than half pot sized bet here. " I'm don't think BB range is solely a ten here. While he can for sure have some tens, I think a fair amount of his range is also just Jacks, maybe even some nine's that he's going crazy with on the flop, and various other two pair type hands, or maybe even sets. He's not too much into raising draws, (not really bluffy from what I see, more overvaluey).

We're really more concerned about SB here, I agree with you there, I'm not sure what's his calling range and donking range here. He could have some tens here,but I don't think he's donking the nuts here with T7s, or QTs? Feel that this donk is more of a made hand than the nuts/straight? Maybe I'm wrong here?
    SB is very strong here -- Sets, Top-Two, T7s/QT all fit the bill.

edited July 2017
    Yeah, I don't disagree with you here, Personally, I leaned to more sets/ and two-pairs here, than straights (think he's more likely to donk pairs, then nuts) imo. Like, I think it's a correct fold here, but it just feels gross , for half a pot size bet especially with an insane player in the big blind.

If the BB was deeper, I think we can justify a call.

As played.

River was a 3

check check on the river. SB shows 98o, BB shows a J and mucks...... It would be sick if SB Jammed, because i think BB was calling so....

Thanks for all of your comments