Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

To bet or not to bet...that is the question?

BKismBKism Posts: 203SubscriberProfessional
OK, I have been aggressive in this game. That leads to the fact that I should be 3! A K here, but I flat.
The reason is the opener, utg1 7h, is the only competent player in the game. He 600 deep $2-$5, I have 2 super-bad and loose players behind me that will play any A. His open was $30 behind a utg limp.

CO calls, utg folds while closing the action...flop Tc 5h 5s
Opener bets 65. His big leak is over C-betting and over sizing. I flat. The CO folds.

Turn is 4

Hmm! Interesting card. I pick up a four flush with AK. It is checked to me.

Bet or check? If I bet, how much? I will be honest with you. I don't think my line was the most profitable. I will share my line with you later. I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Comments

• MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    edited July 2017
    Bet about 170 to set up a river shove imo. We put pressure on villains pairs 66-99, as well as pushing his Tx (KTs, etc.) pot control hands to the commitment limits. He won't be able to put you on a backdoor FD that's making a move.
  • BKismBKism Posts: 203SubscriberProfessional
    Well, I bet 160 and took it down. Now, I guess I could have folded out under pairs, but I think I many of his hands were dominated. Perhaps, checking and calling a river bet would have been more profitable. Is he folding 99 and 88 here. I guess I am folding 66 and 77.

What am I repping JJ, TT, Txs?

Here are the next two hands vs the same V. He opens CO to 25, 500 deep. I 3! To 70 with QJs.

Then this is a real interesting hand. I open 20, utg, AcQh. He defends in the BB. Flop Q 9 6:s:

He checks I make it 30, he calls.

Turn 4

He checks I bet 75, he check raise to 250, with 300 behind.

I tank called.

His range includes JT, QJ, KQ, KJ, KT, T8, 78, of clubs. 6 sets, 99 and 66.

Perhaps, I should have shoved and charged the draws. I called intending to fold to club and call off everything else. I thought he might have been sick of being pushed around and have some more bluffs that he may continue with.

R Q

He checks. I checked.

He would not call anything with out a Q. He is crafty enough to check a FH. I just did not think I could get value from worse. He turns of 6 8, and requests a transfer. Says to himself, "I suck." Then leaves.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    this is a spot that actualy helped me a ton from online.

Im betting turn for sure here cause of our range in this spot has more value hands then him once he checks the turn. he also has to be aware of this and if he had a value hand a good player should be betting a high frequcny of the time.

the hand wher ehe c/r he is repping such a narrow range of sets and bad 2 pairs but would a good player have those hands plus such a big raise for a slow played flopped set like he was repping. Maybe u induced him from a steady stream of cbets.
    by 1BKism
  • BKismBKism Posts: 203SubscriberProfessional
    @Neverlearn2, I really wasn't positive, if betting was the best on the turn. The reason being is that I have found that at 2-5 checks often induce players to become overaggressive and dump chips. I have incorporated more checks with value in to my game recently with some great results. I am trying to find more balance in my game, and this is spot where I was not sure what my profitable line was.

As for the hand where he c/r. It just seemed weird. I have been making his life very difficult. The frustration caused him to choose a hand with such little equity, too. In my player pool, I am probably the most successful player at the 2-5 level with my level of aggression (according to the only player in the pool that I talk poker with, who IMO is the best of the 2-5 players in my room.) Sometimes, I find myself in these spots where I just push a player to the brink. The truth is that I just 3! and c-bet closer to optimal than the rest of the playerpool. My C-bet frequency has tightened up over the past year plus, as I have moved closer to optimal, as blindly barreling is not what it used to be.

His bet-sizing is the one thing that I find odd about his game. It is just too large, always. This hurts him in hands where he is bluffing and probably cost him some calls in value situations. I know that he studies the game probably as much or more so than any other player in my pool. I even am aware that he has paid for big name private coaching. He has always had this large bet sizing and that has not changed, even after the private coaching sessions. It is reminiscent, if you are familiar with the old Bob Ciafonne approach to poker. He does build some massive chip stacks from time to time and I am sure he is a good sized winning player. He also has a tilt factor, which is better than it was before, but he still gets openly frustrated with himself, which is bad for him mentally and probably bad for him in game flow, embodening his opponents.

Thanks for the feedback @Neverlearn2. I was hoping that @StayinSchool would give me some feedback here, as well.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    Cool. Would like to hear others thoughts as well, its a pretty common spot. If we assign std ranges that arent too wide or too tight, paired boards really doesnt give to many hands for villain to lead for value with unless its AA or KK depending on how wide.

thanks for the response as well bkism.