Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Empty the clip vs loose thinking player?

TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
edited July 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$2/5 $600 eff.

Villain is a early 30s wg, very comfortable at the table, opens/defends super wide, is sticky post, is a dealer at a competing card room. A thinking player, has been chatting up others at the table about strat.

Hero has a slightly losing to neutral image. Been very card/situation dead at this relatively aggressive table.

V straddles UTG
Hero opens the CO to $35 with K Q
V defends.

Flop ($75) Ax 8 5x
V checks, hero bets $40, v calls.

Turn ($155) Ax 8 5x J
V checks, hero bets $75, v calls.

River ($305) Ax 8 5x J 7x
V checks, do we blast river?

Comments

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I check back flop, don't think betting flop accomplishes that much. I'd be looking to delay, double delay or maybe just take this hand to SD.

as played I guess bluffing is ok, a lot of our SDs got there. We probably shouldn't bluff all KQ but i think going for the bluff is fine
  • CycleV Posts: 916Subscriber
    You said he's sticky, you said you have a losing image. I can't find a compelling reason to try 3 street bluff here.
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    Sizing could/should be bigger on flop/turn if this was your plan from the start. Though an overbet should be pretty tough to call.
  • ohsnapzbrah Posts: 632Subscriber
    Flop cbet seems fine, little larger though as has been said.

I can't really see a reason betting past the flop though. The board is fairly static. It's going to be tough to get a sticky player to fold an A here. The Jd just brings in a few more draws. We pick up a little bit of equity, but not much imo.

River, all of the draws aside from T9 brick out. And, ironically, AT and A9 are his most likely Ax holdings given the distribution of the cards. This seems like the type of opponent we would want to value bet AQ or AT here for 3 streets and lighten up the bluffing.
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    I'm torn between a flop bet and a delayed c-bet. This player would fire most turns for value and as a bluff so I'm not quite sure what the best flop line is. Flop c-bet must be followed up by a turn bet regardless to get him to fold pocket pairs, so versus this opponent I think a check back otf is fine (plus for the reaons stayinschool stated). Sizing needs to be bigger as well, thanks to everyone who pointed that out.

In the end I checked back the river. I considered blasting the river but I didn't see him folding any river bet as by him calling turn it was apparent he had an ace. He turned over A6o and scooped.