Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.38: Confidence and Preparation in Poker

Craig Posts: 723Administrator
In episode 38, Rob talks about some of the confidence struggles he's had in his poker career, as well as the importance of being prepared.

Episode post at 11AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/confidence-and-preparation-in-poker
Tagged:

Comments

• Jesse_The_Suit Posts: 493SubscriberProfessional
    Rob,

First of all, great podcast as always man. I had a question related to your confidence discussion. How do you recommend those of us who are new to poker (and thus maybe don't have the track record to prove to ourselves that we are beating the game) deal with prolonged downswings? I am essentially break-even over my first 400 hours or so. My game has changed dramatically over that time, and I have moved up from 1/3 to 2/5, so it's hard to draw real solid inferences from the record. Though obviously if I had more certainty that my those 400 hours were generally reflective of my play, it'd be pretty clear that I was not a winning player, or that I had a very small win-rate.

Thanks for your great work man and I look forward to any response you can muster to my ramblings.
  • RobFarha Posts: 185Pro
    Thanks for the kind words.

First off 400 hours is a relatively tiny sample which isn't going to really be decisive either way.

As I've mentioned many times in a lot of episodes, I think it's incredibly important to be completely and entirely honest with yourself. This is also something that a lot of people struggle a bunch with as they typically bring emotions/feelings/ego to a logic battle.

I would put a lot of thought into being able to see your edge.

What I mean by that is that when I go and play 2/5 somewhere and see an opponent making a huge bet that makes no sense, or limping/calling with hands that are in no way profitable - I have a concrete observation that they are making a mistake that I am not - regardless of my results. This is essentially the essence of poker and why winners make money and why losers lose money.

Of course, typing this is much simpler than actually seeing it and realizing it due to the variance/emotions involved so understand I'm being general.

I'd suggest over the next few sessions you to take a look at some of the lines/strategies your villians are implementing and where you are gaining edges and they are losing them. This is something you can do/see regardless of how many hours you have logged. Do you see people making common mistakes and are you making the same mistakes? Do you feel confident in the strategies you're implementing against certain playertypes?

This is independent of your small sample, it just requires a bit of paying attention and a lot of honesty.

Good luck :)
  • Jesse_The_Suit Posts: 493SubscriberProfessional
    Thanks Rob, I will give that a try.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler