Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Turning sets

Two hands:
1k effective
UTG KK I dont remember suits.

Raise 25 , 1 caller OTB

Pot 50

Flop J 2 2

Bet 30, call

Pot 110

Turn K

I think this is bad for me here usually. I check Villian bets 60, I flat

Pot 230

River another bad card for me A

I lead for pot, villian tanks looks like hes about to call and folds.

Line check?

2nd hand.
Straddle on first to act with Q Q
I raise to 40.
Bb calls. Straddle calls.

Pot 125

Flop is 9 7 5

Checks to me, I decide to pot control and check.

Turn Q

Bb leads out for 70, straddle folds, I raise to 220. He tank calls.

Pot 565

River 2

He checks I jam for 500.

Tanks forever ...folds A Q
Tagged:

Comments

• Sonny Posts: 368Subscriber
    edited September 2017
    Both instances you bet way too much on the river considering the ranges you should be targeting...

Hand #1
    First off I don't necessarly agree that a turn King and a river Ace are bad for your range. When you're opening UTG your range will generally be 99+, big Aces, and suited broadway cards. Honestly it should probably even be a little tighter than the hands mentioned, but even still as you can see the King and the Ace smack your range. I'd also mention, opening to $25 in a 2/5 game is pretty strong, so all signs point to you having a strong value hand.
    Lets get to the sizing. What hands are we targeting to get called by? A Jack is the most likely candidate. After the villain flats the flop bet and then bets after you check a Jack is very possible here most likely in the form of AJ but it could be a number of other Jacks, QJ, J10, etc. On the turn, Its very unlikely that the villain hit a King here since we hold two of them, but its possible he has KJ. The villain could also be stabbing with spades, since you checked. Another possible hand in his range that he would now bet would be Kx of Spades. Now we get to the Ace on the river. All Jacks are now unlikely to call a bet unless the Ace made him two pair with AJ. All flush draws missed. If by some narrow chance he had a King with the flush draw the Ace probably shuts him down. Even if he got to the river with AsXs hes probably not feeling to great about his hand.
    So you're wanting to target one pair hands usually I would think he most likely has a jack here or nothing, but some two pair combos are possible. Since the board is paired and the river brings in a straight, we're not getting called light here at all. So we need to be betting very small to insure a call with our nut value hand. I think a bet of $100 is probably the most we're ever going to get a crying call from in this spot. You might even want to go less than that say $60-80 to insure a call, and if you're lucky he might loose his mind and try to bluff you off the hand. Thats rarely going to happen however, so just bet an amount that a single pair of Jacks will have to call based on the price you're laying him.

Hand #2
    I'd generally put him on some kind of a draw the way the hand played out, so more often than not you're rarely ever getting paid off here. As it was he had a one pair hand. Going back to hand #1 you need to be targeting one pair hands. How much is a one pair hand going to call in this spot where again you are opening pre in early position, so you represent a very strong range. Almost no one is calling down a pot sized bet with one pair in 2017. If this was 10 years ago you're going to get all his money when he has TPTk but its not like that these days. Bet an amount that is easy for him to call. I think $200 here is a decent bet. He'll be calling $200 to win almost $800. Even though it's smaller than your 3 bet on the turn, its still a lot easier number for AQ to call instead of a pot sized bet.

In both instances up until the river your sizings looked really great, about half pot. Putting out a pot sized bet on the river is going to blast almost all players off their hands unless they are somehow beating you.
  • rcollier5 Posts: 67Subscriber
    Sonny said:
    Both instances you bet way too much on the river considering the ranges you should be targeting...

Hand #1
    First off I don't necessarly agree that a turn King and a river Ace are bad for your range. When you're opening UTG your range will generally be 99+, big Aces, and suited broadway cards. Honestly it should probably even be a little tighter than the hands mentioned, but even still as you can see the King and the Ace smack your range. I'd also mention, opening to $25 in a 2/5 game is pretty strong, so all signs point to you having a strong value hand.
    Lets get to the sizing. What hands are we targeting to get called by? A Jack is the most likely candidate. After the villain flats the flop bet and then bets after you check a Jack is very possible here most likely in the form of AJ but it could be a number of other Jacks, QJ, J10, etc. On the turn, Its very unlikely that the villain hit a King here since we hold two of them, but its possible he has KJ. The villain could also be stabbing with spades, since you checked. Another possible hand in his range that he would now bet would be Kx of Spades. Now we get to the Ace on the river. All Jacks are now unlikely to call a bet unless the Ace made him two pair with AJ. All flush draws missed. If by some narrow chance he had a King with the flush draw the Ace probably shuts him down. Even if he got to the river with AsXs hes probably not feeling to great about his hand.
    So you're wanting to target one pair hands usually I would think he most likely has a jack here or nothing, but some two pair combos are possible. Since the board is paired and the river brings in a straight, we're not getting called light here at all. So we need to be betting very small to insure a call with our nut value hand. I think a bet of $100 is probably the most we're ever going to get a crying call from in this spot. You might even want to go less than that say $60-80 to insure a call, and if you're lucky he might loose his mind and try to bluff you off the hand. Thats rarely going to happen however, so just bet an amount that a single pair of Jacks will have to call based on the price you're laying him.

Hand #2
    I'd generally put him on some kind of a draw the way the hand played out, so more often than not you're rarely ever getting paid off here. As it was he had a one pair hand. Going back to hand #1 you need to be targeting one pair hands. How much is a one pair hand going to call in this spot where again you are opening pre in early position, so you represent a very strong range. Almost no one is calling down a pot sized bet with one pair in 2017. If this was 10 years ago you're going to get all his money when he has TPTk but its not like that these days. Bet an amount that is easy for him to call. I think $200 here is a decent bet. He'll be calling $200 to win almost $800. Even though it's smaller than your 3 bet on the turn, its still a lot easier number for AQ to call instead of a pot sized bet.

In both instances up until the river your sizings looked really great, about half pot. Putting out a pot sized bet on the river is going to blast almost all players off their hands unless they are somehow beating you.
    Thanks for the input. By bad card for me, I meant not bad for my range, I meant bad to get value because they were too good for my range. In both pots, I felt it was unlikely my opponent had a drawing type hand due to the fact that I was lead into and bet into when checked. Also my hand looks like a strong draw that could have missed since in both hands I checked one street. I bet big to look like I could have busted draws. Neither player snap folded, in fact it looked like they almost pulled the trigger. I didn't want it to look like I wanted to get called since I would be pretty polarized in these spots
  • Sonny Posts: 368Subscriber
    Getting value from our strong hands is how you make money in live poker, so I totally am on the same page as far as wanting to get max value for these hands. They come up infrequently so we want to get paid off on them.
    I also totally understand the idea of wanting to make your bet look polarizing. The problem with that, espically when we have a monster that we absolutely want to get called is that it looks polarized. Its either a monster or nothing right? So because of that I've found that most players will be able to talk themselves into a fold because these bets are large and while you may be bluffing, you also may have them crushed. I've been taught, and found out myself that betting very small when you think your opponent only has a bluff catcher really, is much more likely to get a call. And they probably should be calling.
    Suppose you have the nuts and lay your opponent a price of 6/1 on a call. If they're a somewhat thinking player they'll talk themselves into calling by reasoning that they only have to be right 1 out of 6 times for the call to be at least neutral EV. And if they are not much of a thinking player at all then they will probably just see a big pot and think that its only $75 more to call or whatever, and they usually can't help themselves even if they know they are beat. They just want to see what you have and ocasionally they reason that you might be making your bluff look like a value bet.
    Sure when you bet super small it looks like you want a call, but betting large you're trying to get them to hero call. Hero calls are pretty rare, while a call of a 1/6 pot sized bet is a lot easier for most players to call. They dont have to worry about looking dumb or loosing much more money.