Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Is shoving the correct play in big side pot?

Playing 2/3 in Sydney Australia. $500 buyin. Game plays pretty big.

I have about $830, V hasn't been at table long but has about 1k. I know him from bigger games and tourneys. Good player. V agro and was starting to be table captain.

Short stack in mp shoves his last $36. V otb calls. I'm in sb with A Q and decide to iso raise to $140. V - calls. I wasn't expecting or hoping he would call, but I'm very confident I'm in front of his range. Now time to play some poker! Main pot $113. Side pot $208.

Flop A 6 7 . I'm like it, but I know if I bet V puts me on big A so often. I check he bets $100. I call. At this point I'm putting him on worse A or airballs. No need to raise yet. Side pot now $408.

Turn 2 . I chk, V bets $190. I think he might call with worse A, or if is bluffing he'll shut down on the river. So I shove my stack in for $595. Side pot now $1,193 and $405 for him to call.

He tanks for a min and then folds.

Views as played please. Did I play it right pre, flop & turn? Did I lose value by shoving?

Comments

• FriendlyFish Posts: 83Member
    Your hand as played looks like pocket KK , QQ. I like calling to keep his bluffs and smaller aces that might bluff/value bet the river. There isnt any draw u need to protect your hand against as he is not calling the 36 all in with 89.

Shoving here u only get called by hands that beat you if he is a good player like u described
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    Think your line is good against a LAG. Shove on turn is fine based on stack to pot. If we just call they'll just shut down on river with anything worse & shove everything that beats us anyway, so put them to a decision now if they have A9s, 98s, etc.
  • JimPsaros Posts: 107Subscriber
    FriendlyFish said:
    Your hand as played looks like pocket KK , QQ. I like calling to keep his bluffs and smaller aces that might bluff/value bet the river. There isnt any draw u need to protect your hand against as he is not calling the 36 all in with 89.

Shoving here u only get called by hands that beat you if he is a good player like u described
    When V fires again, it might be a bluff, but (if) I call my hand is starting to look v strong. The side pot would be $800, and don't forget main pot is nearly $120. I only would have $400 left.

At this point I'm as sure as I can be that he has A, small pocket pair or airballs. But remember he called the initial all in bet of $36, so it's not really likely to be small suited connectors, or 8,9 etc. I think most likely suited or weak A, or small pair he's turning into bluff.

IMO he can't continue with his bluffs on the river, given my line. Weak A, I don't think (???? - this is the interesting part of the decision) he will continue to value bet so thinly. But he might call off with it given value he is getting.
  • Sonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    edited September 2017
    After you raise pre very very large to $140 and check call the flop, I don't think he's betting AJ for value, I think on the turn he has turned his hand into a bluff whatever it may be. So we're probably not getting called much anyway.
    As it was, if you're confident you're in the lead its either all in on the turn for a check raise, or open shove on the river. I might think that an open shove on the river looks slightly more like a bluff, but its pretty close. Either way your hand looks pretty strong. On the river I think its just a few ticks more likely that he can talk himself into thinking you missed something if you open shove, since most average players would just check down AQ here.
    Keep in mind this is all only if you think you're good here... I think he might actually be kinda wide here. On the button pre, a lot of players will just call a short stacks all in with a range that is very wide, never even thinking to raise to iso. They just think the blinds are going to fold.
  • sanox Posts: 82Subscriber
    I like the line pf and flop, but I would definitely c/c the turn. Your 3bet range here is pretty limited - it is not like you would isolate a short stack with 89s here, so really the only hands you can have is a big ace, a medium to big pair and maybe some broadway type hands. So if you raise, you will only get called by better imo and you prevent him from continuing to bluff for instance with a hand like 89s