Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fastrack Poker No. 1 "Preflop"

BartBart Posts: 5,118AdministratorLeadPro
edited October 2017 in Fast Track Poker Videos
A comprehensive guide to preflop play.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/curriculum/preflop
Tagged:

Comments

• Nigelc21 Posts: 3Subscriber
    What is VIP?
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 115Pro
    Very Important person. Term used in business for high-priority, high-end customer. In poker we use the term "VIP" for a big recreational player who loses a lot of money in the game
  • jeo3 Posts: 8SubscriberProfessional
    Would you say it would be a good idea to tighten up these ranges for a 150bb capped game where most players are usually short and spr is low most of the time? It seems like you would be leaking a little playing these ranges in my typical capped games..,Specifically playing the suited connectors and small pairs from ep and mp.
    jeo3 said:
    Would you say it would be a good idea to tighten up these ranges for a 150bb capped game where most players are usually short and spr is low most of the time? It seems like you would be leaking a little playing these ranges in my typical capped games..,Specifically playing the suited connectors and small pairs from ep and mp.
    I would say that these ranges are tighter than what a lot of typical players are playing, even the regs. It is important to have suited connectors and smaller pairs in our range even from EP/MP for board coverage. If you are only playing high cards and big pairs, you become vulnerable on middling flops. Notice that for UTG range we only open down to 77 and for suited connectors down to 98s. This is pretty conservative IMO. We are only playing about top 9.5% of our range and many players will open all suited aces and pairs and suited connectors from this position.
    Very true....definitely tighter than the average reg/fish. I just found that I personally increased my win rate by almost never playing from early position. I am still developing my game though, so maybe it is something I can incorporate more as I increase my skill edge.
    Would you say that you strictly adhere to your preflop ranges or do you ever throw in garbage hands. I was watching a video from Jonathan Little where he recommends balancing with garbage hands from time to time. This is primarily for 1/2 2/5 application.
    edited May 3
    I personally don’t advocate throwing in garbage hands for balance. I think if we open some suited connectors like 98s from UTG, that is enough “weak” hands that will balance our strong hands. I don’t think that it’s necessary to open with 52s from EP once in a while to achieve balance.
    I will deviate from the ranges as necessary, as it’s a rough guideline line to start with. But I will adjust methodically and expand playing ranges incrementally to adjust for the table texture, our image, who’s in the B.B. (a VIP?) etc. I don’t just open K9o from EP randomly just because there is a big spot in the bB. I may choose to open with mp1 range from UTG to adjust for the weak player in the B.B.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
  • thnkpositive Posts: 9Subscriber
    I used to be an online pro and I'm playing some live these days. I found the over limping section helpful because it's quite different to what I've dealt with online.
    My question is, you mentioned in the limping video that you would generally raise with at max your MP2 range, and then over-limp everything else that was in your standard opening range at a given position.
    Does that mean in the CO if you faced a limp from the LJ and the HJ that you would over limp a hand like A8o? I ran the equity and vs an estimated 30% limping range for both players excluding the tops of their ranges A8o is breaking even if the game ended preflop. However A8o seems like it's going to do worse at realizing its equity, or do you think that our positional advantage over clearly weaker players is going to cause us to realize more than our fair share of equity?
    thnkpositive said:
    I used to be an online pro and I'm playing some live these days. I found the over limping section helpful because it's quite different to what I've dealt with online.
    My question is, you mentioned in the limping video that you would generally raise with at max your MP2 range, and then over-limp everything else that was in your standard opening range at a given position.
    Does that mean in the CO if you faced a limp from the LJ and the HJ that you would over limp a hand like A8o? I ran the equity and vs an estimated 30% limping range for both players excluding the tops of their ranges A8o is breaking even if the game ended preflop. However A8o seems like it's going to do worse at realizing its equity, or do you think that our positional advantage over clearly weaker players is going to cause us to realize more than our fair share of equity?
    Hi thanks for the great question. To address it, first, A8o is not in our CO opening range. It’s in our BTN opening range. And for the most part, these hands are overlimped due to the weak open limping ranges of the villains, and the fact that most of the limper are bad players who will make gross postflop errors. It’s not realistic to think that someone will open limp and the. Playbpostflop optimally. Yeah, it’s a little loose, and we can make adjustments by folding some of our weakest offsuit hands as necessary. Again these are starting guidelines and not set rules. Deviate and adjust as necessary.
  • whoisjoeb Posts: 44Subscriber
    Went to bed last night thinking that Monday would be a good day to revisit some pre flop study, so I was glad to see this series pop up in the discussion group.

Spent about 4 hours working through the videos. They are well laid out, informative and even a veteran who might consider their preflop play as ideal will probably pick up a few adjustments. I built my preflop ranges off of Matt Janda's ranges in his mathmatics of poker book a long ways back and have generally adjusted them to be a bit tighter for live play which puts them fairly close to yours. What I did learn was the spots I should be using a linear 3 betting rage as opposed to a polarized one. I feel I have been defaulting to being polarized more than i have to, so that was definitely cool.

Thanks for taking the time to put that out there.
    by 1Bart
    whoisjoeb said:
    Went to bed last night thinking that Monday would be a good day to revisit some pre flop study, so I was glad to see this series pop up in the discussion group.

Spent about 4 hours working through the videos. They are well laid out, informative and even a veteran who might consider their preflop play as ideal will probably pick up a few adjustments. I built my preflop ranges off of Matt Janda's ranges in his mathmatics of poker book a long ways back and have generally adjusted them to be a bit tighter for live play which puts them fairly close to yours. What I did learn was the spots I should be using a linear 3 betting rage as opposed to a polarized one. I feel I have been defaulting to being polarized more than i have to, so that was definitely cool.

Thanks for taking the time to put that out there.

Thank you!! Glad that you found it helpful!
  • NEO Posts: 42Subscriber
    Ki - How would you adjust your pre-flop ranges in a 6 handed game?
    NEO said:
    Ki - How would you adjust your pre-flop ranges in a 6 handed game?
    Very simple- nothing changes except that UTG/UTG1/MP1 ranges are now removed. use MP2 range for the first position, And HJ for next, etc
    by 1NEO
  • NEO Posts: 42Subscriber
    Nice! Thanks man.

Also, any recommendations for strictly a heads up match? I know this doesn't happen live, but I also play online and just curious on what a standard preflop range should be, if there is any?
    It’s opponenrt dependent, but this is about the default range that I’d start with for opening the BtN. You can go slightly tighter or looser.
    by 1NEO