Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fastrack Poker No. 1 "Preflop"

BartBart Posts: 5,081AdministratorLeadPro
edited October 2017 in Fast Track Poker Videos
A comprehensive guide to preflop play.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/curriculum/preflop
Tagged:

Comments

• Nigelc21 Posts: 3Subscriber
    What is VIP?
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 109Pro
    Very Important person. Term used in business for high-priority, high-end customer. In poker we use the term "VIP" for a big recreational player who loses a lot of money in the game
  • jeo3 Posts: 8SubscriberProfessional
    Would you say it would be a good idea to tighten up these ranges for a 150bb capped game where most players are usually short and spr is low most of the time? It seems like you would be leaking a little playing these ranges in my typical capped games..,Specifically playing the suited connectors and small pairs from ep and mp.
    jeo3 said:
    Would you say it would be a good idea to tighten up these ranges for a 150bb capped game where most players are usually short and spr is low most of the time? It seems like you would be leaking a little playing these ranges in my typical capped games..,Specifically playing the suited connectors and small pairs from ep and mp.
    I would say that these ranges are tighter than what a lot of typical players are playing, even the regs. It is important to have suited connectors and smaller pairs in our range even from EP/MP for board coverage. If you are only playing high cards and big pairs, you become vulnerable on middling flops. Notice that for UTG range we only open down to 77 and for suited connectors down to 98s. This is pretty conservative IMO. We are only playing about top 9.5% of our range and many players will open all suited aces and pairs and suited connectors from this position.
    Very true....definitely tighter than the average reg/fish. I just found that I personally increased my win rate by almost never playing from early position. I am still developing my game though, so maybe it is something I can incorporate more as I increase my skill edge.
    Would you say that you strictly adhere to your preflop ranges or do you ever throw in garbage hands. I was watching a video from Jonathan Little where he recommends balancing with garbage hands from time to time. This is primarily for 1/2 2/5 application.
    edited May 3
    I personally don’t advocate throwing in garbage hands for balance. I think if we open some suited connectors like 98s from UTG, that is enough “weak” hands that will balance our strong hands. I don’t think that it’s necessary to open with 52s from EP once in a while to achieve balance.
    I will deviate from the ranges as necessary, as it’s a rough guideline line to start with. But I will adjust methodically and expand playing ranges incrementally to adjust for the table texture, our image, who’s in the B.B. (a VIP?) etc. I don’t just open K9o from EP randomly just because there is a big spot in the bB. I may choose to open with mp1 range from UTG to adjust for the weak player in the B.B.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.