Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flop Trips UTG 5-way, turn decision.

TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
$2/5 $700 eff with main villain. Villain is a mid-50s asian reg, super loose pre, call happy post, has some bet-sizing tells. An okay hand reader, he mainly gets value in spots where he just gobsmacks you (see: super loose pre and post). Villain and hero are friendly to one another, currently engaging in light banter and smack talk. Generally villain respects hero's game (I think).

Hero opens to $20 UTG with A J
UTG+1 calls
Villain calls in MP2
Blinds call.

Flop ($100) A A 8
Blinds check
Hero checks.
Villain checks.

I check because I crush the board and there are very few draws that will continue on this board IMO.

Turn ($100) A A 8 2
SB checks
BB bets $50 (mid-40's unknown, seems rec-ish, maybe have played against him once before, no real reads)
H calls
V makes it $125

Hero? What do we make of this small sizing post? What do we think of the flop check and turn call?

Comments

• ClockClock Posts: 1,098Subscriber
    I'm absolutely betting this flop! Especially vs 4 people...
    At this point I would raise the BB lead.
    As played what did blinds do? Fold?
    If everybody folded, at this point I would probably just call (as a trap) and x/r non diamond river, x/c a diamond river to a reasonable sizing bet.

If BB calls, I'm probably back/raising and trying to get stacks in.
  • jwit Posts: 35Member
    I agree with Clock on this. you played it very passively and now are in an awkward spot. The line you've taken is surely not optimal, and you should not hesitate to bet this flop. Your reasoning for not betting is that you crush the board, when in reality, you do not. You simply have an A with a good kicker. If the flop is AJ8 rainbow, yes you crush the board. However, since anyone can have an A and there is a diamond draw (both hands would continue), this is a must bet flop.

As played, you have turned trip aces with a good kicker into a bluff catcher. Flat the turn, reevaluate the river, and plan to check/call in most instances.

This should have been a bet on the flop, and since you did not do that, this should have been a raise on the turn. It may be a good time to look at your aggression as you very well may be missing out on a lot of profit with your strong hands
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    My thoughts about the flop check in-game:

there's roughly 10 combos of flush draws in all our opponent's range versus 4 AT and a handful of trash Ax hands we beat. we tie with 3 AJ combos and we lose to 4 AQ combos and maybe give them 1 combo of AK that wants to play tricky plus 3 combos of 88.

So I hear you guys, combo-wise, it's a bet. The more they call with trash aces, the more the flop should be bet.

What do you make of the small turn sizing?
    Doesn't tell us too much, except that he doesn't mind people in the hand. Could be a good flush draw, could be a made hand. Proceed with caution.
    jwit said:
    Doesn't tell us too much, except that he doesn't mind people in the hand. Could be a good flush draw, could be a made hand. Proceed with caution.
    Agree with the 2nd point, disagree with the first. Why would a flush draw raise so small?

TastesLikeBurning said:
    My thoughts about the flop check in-game:

there's roughly 10 combos of flush draws in all our opponent's range versus 4 AT and a handful of trash Ax hands we beat. we tie with 3 AJ combos and we lose to 4 AQ combos and maybe give them 1 combo of AK that wants to play tricky plus 3 combos of 88.

So I hear you guys, combo-wise, it's a bet. The more they call with trash aces, the more the flop should be bet.

What do you make of the small turn sizing?
    There're a lot more combos we get value from on the flop.
    What about 8x and PP? Unless this is the nittiest game in the world, I expect calls from those.
    Also even if some PP don't always call - you're giving them a free 2 outter shot at your stack.

As far as sizing, the BB lead could be anything at this point ranging from total air, FD, small PP that doesn't want to give free cards, Ax or a boat.

The V in MP raising tiny after you call is either some BS (air, PP), possibly a FD, but I would expect it more HU and pretty rarely vs 2 people, or nutted (boats)
    I would not expect him to raise Ax so small.

Did BB fold?

So thinking about it more, as played (assuming BB folded), I think the river is just a x/c, because he almost never has Ax here that's not a boat and we'll never get paid.
    I'm not very afraid of diamond, so I'm x/calling any river to bluff catch.

• Letmewin1 Posts: 1,238Member
    I guess you can bet AQ+ and check AJ/A10 some of the time but I think betting in this spot is a bit better multiway not because the board is “dryish” but because this type of flops will get peeled a lot with worse and checking will allow a two outer type hand to realize pretty damn cheap.
    AP
    I think you kinda put yourself in a spot where you have to call because you shouldn’t really have an Ax once you check the flop so your hand looks like a pair type trying to improve for this price , don’t see much reason to 3bing this flop, showing that much strength will just fold out worse and he is repping a pretty narrow value range.
    Regarding the small sizing, he doesn’t really have to use a larger sizing if he can get you to fold most of your non Ax range with a river bet that would probably be around $260/$$280.
    So I think I’m in the call and let’s play some rivers camp.
    IMHO
    yes, BB folded and we were heads up.

clock, don't most 8x fold when i come out and bet into 4 opponents?
    TastesLikeBurning said:
    yes, BB folded and we were heads up.

clock, don't most 8x fold when i come out and bet into 4 opponents?
    They should, but people don't like to fold :wink:
    TastesLikeBurning said:
    jwit said:
    Agree with the 2nd point, disagree with the first. Why would a flush draw raise so small?

Splashy players like to build pots and control the action in position. They also like to see their draw complete. His raise gives him control over the action on the river for cheap and leaves him with slightly over a pot-sized all in on the river. Not everyone bets to make others fold or to charge worse hands. The more splashy/gamble they have in them, the less chance the raise is for protection