Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/3 -- QQ Paired Board

MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
edited October 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
First time playing this room. Villain is clearly a young reg who was originally waiting for 2/5 until his GF came to the table. He's been doing a lot of x/folding in pots after raising pre, so seems to be nitty-tag & only half focused on the game (on phone, chatting w/ GF). I felt flop x & bet we're close options, but I went for the check, as this was a 2 street hand for me in most cases anyway. Turn I feel is standard as played. What are most of you doing in the river? It feels dirty folding, but no way we can automatically assume he's betting all busted FD, right? Other villain in hand is a splashy reg who sort of clicks buttons, but has been avoiding me more as game has progressed. Thanks. We're about 95BB effective w/ main villain .

Hero (MP $400): Qh Qd

Fold x 3, MP1 calls $3, Hero raises $20, fold, Villain calls, fold x 2, MP calls

Flop ($63): Jh Js 5s

MP checks, Hero checks, V bets $20, MP folds, H calls

Turn ($103): 3c

H x, V b $55, H calls

River ($213): 4c

H x, V b $195 all-in, H ???

Comments

• ohsnapzbrah Posts: 632Subscriber
    I think you answered your question in your post. You felt as if it were a two-street hand, and an opponent has just bet the third street.

I think I like betting the flop better than checking. We just never know where we're at when we check and face a bet from the IP player. And that's how we're going to get the bulk of our value from this hand. Given your description of the villain, I'd fold on the river. He is half paying attention to the game and distracted. From my experience, players like that aren't going to take time out of their distractions to pull a bluff. We also have a showdownable hand, as indicated by the line that we've taken.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,804Subscriber
    edited October 2017

I would bet flop but I bet a high frequency on paired boards, usually. Feel like people bet and call wide on flop. Imo you played your hand like a draw or like TT. I think we can call here but I could see him having a straight here as well.

Can we raise turn or lead turn here?
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    edited October 2017
    neverlearn2 said:

I would bet flop but I bet a high frequency on paired boards, usually. Feel like people bet and call wide on flop. Imo you played your hand like a draw or like TT. I think we can call here but I could see him having a straight here as well.

Can we raise turn or lead turn here?
    Im more expecting a lot of Jx (30 combos), and sometimes 55/33/76ss, and the occasional busted FD (20). For me river depends how much we discount their bluffing freq w/ draws.

I agree w/ probably betting flop, but sometimes the decision between balance/exploitation is not so clear, and I thought it was an OK spot to opt for balance vs people who had been over folding recently.
  • pray4blank Posts: 135Subscriber
    As a general rule, when my hand kinda looks like what it is here, I think "Is the opponent betting to get me to call with QQ-AA or fold with QQ-AA)", and since I believe most villains don't believe people fold QQ here, I usually heavily discount the 3 street bluff.
    pray4blank said:
    As a general rule, when my hand kinda looks like what it is here, I think "Is the opponent betting to get me to call with QQ-AA or fold with QQ-AA)", and since I believe most villains don't believe people fold QQ here, I usually heavily discount the 3 street bluff.
    Yes, fair points.
    Spoiler:
    Hero folds. Villain mucks.