Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The 1/2 Hand Template

Im trying to develop a list of questions to ask myself on each street, a "template," to keep myself out of auto-pilot and to be sure I'm evaluating all information. So far this is what I have been using:

Preflop
Will I have:
- Card Edge
- Initiative
- Position
- Skill Edge
How positionally aware of the other players? Will any of them adjust their range based on their position?
Who are the likely players in this hand?
What will the SPR be?
What will my likely position be post flop?
How does the table perceive my image?
Should I adjust my opening range due to any of this information?

Flop, Turn, and River
Using all information and previous action, what can I narrow opponents range down too? Who has range advantage?
Who is my opponent and what are his tendencies. Too tight? Too Passive? Gets sticky? Never bluffs? Etc.
Whats the EV of value betting, checking, and bluffing?
- Betting or Bluffing whats the optimal bet sizing for what I'm trying to accomplish?
- Whats the Break Even Percent if I go for a bluff?
How much equity do I need to call according to the pot odds?
- What pot odds am I giving my opponent if I bet?
Do I have implied odds?
Whats my opponent likely to do on the next street?
- What do I WANT him to do? How do I accomplish that?

I'm slowly training myself to go through that list as fast as possible while still being as accurate as possible with it. Anything I should add? Remove? Any comments?

Thanks!

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,844Subscriber
    One thing that helped me to think things thru was to break it down and ask myself why villain is doing any action.

You might miss a few questions to ask yourself but it's a good place to start.

Also don't overwhelm from start. Should add little by little. Just like everything else we all have done in life.
  • NickFox Posts: 9Subscriber
    Its becoming pretty intuitive rather quickly and seems to he helping. Ill modify it as needed down the line.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,844Subscriber
    i think the whole idea of being mindful or in the moment can really only come with experience. shit i could be better at it for sure.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,027Subscriber
    I don't know if this helps OP at all, but what is being described here with OP and the comments is the exact description of moving to Unconscious Competence (from Tendler).
  • Sonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    I think you can save yourself some trouble just by asking "why?". Why am I betting? Why am I calling? Why did my opponent raise me? Why did my opponent check?
    This simple question addresses pretty much all facets of poker. Every situation is different, just ask "why?
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,309Pro
    seems like point 1 should be "what mistakes do the villains make"