Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fast Track Poker No 3 "Post Flop Fundamentals"

Craig Posts: 513Administrator
In-depth look at post-flop fundamentals. Some of the concepts explored include, relative hand strength, ranges, balance, board textures, position, and much more.

Module Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/curriculum/post-flop-fundamentals
Tagged:

Comments

• kaboojie Posts: 120Subscriber
    Hi Ki,

I think this Fast Track series is fantastic so far. I hope you continue with the great work!

I have a question about srp's as the pfr with mid pocket pairs.

I find it hard to construct any type of range with these holdings on most board textures. The only boards that give me a lot of bluffs and value ranges are mid/coordinated boards. However, because I am the pfr, I think I should be looking to check a lot on this board texture because it favours the pfc's range. Would you agree?

Also, on any high boards or low/uncoordinated boards where the board textures favour my range, I find it hard to near impossible to come up with a betting range (value or bluff) I'm not sure if I should start adding bd draws to my betting range or just check a lot.

In the end, I feel I'm doing something wrong here because I am checking with these holdings way more than I think should. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    by 1KiLee
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 101Pro
    kaboojie said:
    Hi Ki,

I think this Fast Track series is fantastic so far. I hope you continue with the great work!

I have a question about srp's as the pfr with mid pocket pairs.

I find it hard to construct any type of range with these holdings on most board textures. The only boards that give me a lot of bluffs and value ranges are mid/coordinated boards. However, because I am the pfr, I think I should be looking to check a lot on this board texture because it favours the pfc's range. Would you agree?

Also, on any high boards or low/uncoordinated boards where the board textures favour my range, I find it hard to near impossible to come up with a betting range (value or bluff) I'm not sure if I should start adding bd draws to my betting range or just check a lot.

In the end, I feel I'm doing something wrong here because I am checking with these holdings way more than I think should. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Hi, I think you are specifically asking about where hands like 77/88/99 fall in your betting range on different flops. Yes, most of the flops that you don't hit a set with is a little dicey to bet with these because these become under pairs to the top card. In a perfectly balanced strategy, most hands are bet at partial frequencies, and these mid pairs are bet at a somewhat low frequency on most boards. On some boards, they are cbet more. Specifically, when we have a narrow and strong range (UTG open) and the board is very favorable for us (AQ4ssx. On these flops, our ENTIRE range is pretty much bet for a small sizing, and hands like 77/88 function as protection bets and/or semi-bluffs. Sometimes solvers even have us bet hands like 22/33/44 on a board like KJ6. So as you can see, there is no simple answer. Rather than trying to see when you can cbet pocket pairs, I think the better approach is to think about what your entire range is in a given spot and see what hands are best for betting and what hands are best for checking. I generally try to avoid the strategy of betting certain hands at partial frequencies, and resort to categorizing them either as bet all the time or check all the time.

For your second question - On high dry boards or low dry boards - It is hard to construct a solid betting range. On the High dry boards, it's hard to construct a solid triple barreling range, both for value and for bluff. So usually one street will be checked(unless the V is a VIP, which are common at lower stakes), and you can either employ a check/bet/bet strategy, or Bet/check/bet strategy. If you want to check the flop, just check 100% of your range. If you want to bet the flop, I usually cbet 100% of my range for a small sizing, then check the turn a lot with most of my range, and then go for a river bet. On low dry boards, again it doesnt hit our range, but I like to pound these boards. I like to deviate from the optimal strategy here and cbet and double/triple barrel on a lot of runouts vs weak recreational players. I usually cbet 100% on these boards and then look to double and triple barrel a lot. We can rep so many over cards and a lot of the villain's flop calling range will become very weak by the river.
  • kaboojie Posts: 120Subscriber
    Thanks for your prompt response, Ki. This definitely helps!
    by 1KiLee