Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Strange river decision. Passive villain goes aggro

z7 Posts: 225Subscriber
No info on either villains. Been at table for maybe 2 orbits nothing major happened.

5/5 game 500 cap. All stacks 500
H UTG AhKh

Open to $20. Button V1 calls Sb V2 completes BB fold

Flop Kd 8c 5s

Sb check H checks for delayed C-bet for value. Button check

Turn 9s

Sb bet 40. H calls button calls.

River Ac.

Board Kd 8c 5s 9s Ac
Sb check H bets $75 and button raises to $230 Sb folds

H?
Tagged:

Comments

• sivaddivad Posts: 339Subscriber
    Always bet flop. As played, I would call. Villain could easily have a worse hand he is raising for value.
  • Sonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    I'm pretty conservative in these spots, but I think a call is in order here. He could easily be betting a worse two pair. I think A9, A8 are very reasonable hands he could be raising, and probably should be raising.
    The only thing we're really concerned about are possible sets, but I think all of the sets in his range get in a bet or raise before the river.
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,132Subscriber
    edited October 2017
    A bit unorthodox line by HERO, but I'm fine with a little deception on such a mega dry board vs "right" villains.

The river x/r is very strange, but I'm not folding top 2 here unless I'm very confident that V is a big time nit post flop that "always has it"

The line doesn't make a lot of sense and we beat almost everything other than 67 or a set, so I think we have to call this one...
  • sivaddivad Posts: 339Subscriber
    Clock said:
    A bit unorthodox line by HERO, but I'm fine with a little deception on such a mega dry board vs "right" villains.

The river x/r is very strange, but I'm not folding top 2 here unless I'm very confident that V is a big time nit post flop that "always has it"

The line doesn't make a lot of sense and we beat almost everything other than 67 or a set, so I think we have to call this one...
    While I agree in principal that sometimes you should check against the right opponent, OP said these are unknowns, so a flop check can't be a +EV play in this situation.
  • z7 Posts: 225Subscriber
    So the check on flop is not something I normally do. I probably bet this like %95 of the time. I just thought on such a dry board it's going to be hard to get 3 streets of value. Checking flop induces bluffs (as the SB was doing I assume) and makes for light turn and river calls. If at max I'm getting 2 streets isn't it more likely that I get 2 streets when I check flop? I would only consider this line heads up or 3 ways as well. Now again the vast majority of the time I bet flop. But is it not worth considering checking your strong hands sometimes too? Unknown or not.