Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 PLO hand. Bet turn or take free card with big draw?

The Clubber Posts: 110Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2 PLO with $5 bring in. $300 effective.

I had been playing 3 hours and had not 3-bet. I probably have a losing image, but when I have gone all in in big pots I had a lot of equity, so it shouldn't look like I'm stacking off light or spewy.

EP raises $15. I 3-bet to 40 with 9h8c7h6c SB flats and UTG flats.

Flop (120) Ah8d5s Checks to me I bet $105 and only SB calls.

Turn (330) 3h. SB checks. I have $140 behind. Check and take a free card to a big draw or continue to try to represent AAA and get a fold?

Comments

• TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    You have so much equity here. Ship it and be happy about it.

With your 3 bet, most opponents are going to assume you have AAA, so his best case scenario here is probably something like 678, possibly with hearts. This looks like a freeroll for you a bunch.

The problem with taking a free card here is if a brick comes off (Tc) and your opponent bets, he could have 24 or he could have missed hearts. If a heart comes off and he bets, he might have higher hearts, or he might have a missed wrap. Checking behind leaves too much uncertainty. The only thing I would say is if you *do* check behind and the board pairs, and your opponent checks, ship it every time.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    What position are you in? Generally I would discount AAxx from an unknown's range (i.e., yours) if they 3-bet with that sizing. Not sure how other players view it.

villain's hand is most likely Axxx, I would probably just jam you should have some fold equity despite the sizing.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    in a 3bet pot when the villian c/c's a cbet on an ace high flop, i doubt there is much fold equity for $140 effective into $330 ($140 for villian to call into $470 = 3.3:1). i think you should take the card on the turn.
    what hands is villian calling once, but folding the turn with? it would be a different story if you had close to full pot behind.....
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    I DEFINITELY would check if we had T976hh instead. But sometimes if villain has a really similar hand to us we can get value from our pair of 8's winning unimproved which we can't get on the river. Depending on how bad villain is, while I do think it's very unlikely, it's not impossible for villain to fold Axxx. I'd prefer to bet like $60-$65 on the flop on the flop so you have a reasonable turn shove to fold out Axxx hands.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Betting small on the flop so that a turn shove is significant relative to the pot size is a line I can get behind.
  • The Clubber Posts: 110Member
    Thanks for the replies. I"m a relative PLO fish (although I see some play that is way fishier than me). Villain called me with AKJx and I bricked the river/ I think giving him 4:1 on the turn it's hard to get him to fold, so maybe I should have checked it back (or hit my draw).