Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Mr/Mrs Sticky

Here is a player type I have had trouble with in the past. They will be sitting to my left and calling all my late opens, even from the SB. They will then check/float to the river to win pots with 2nd pair, third pair. I have not run into this type in a while, maybe this was because of the loose ranges I was playing then. The situation will be a soft table when you can win pots easy in position by C-beting flops.

Comments

• CrushLiveDegensCrushLiveDegens Posts: 33Subscriber
    Tripple barrel for super thin value and profit.
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 671Subscriber
    So what's the plan when have AK and whiff flop & turn & river? This one has been driving me nuts lately. Might be in the vein of what the OP was driving at.
  • kaboojie Posts: 83Subscriber
    RecreationalRoger said:
    So what's the plan when have AK and whiff flop & turn & river?
    I would look for boards where we have a range advantage. Ki Lee has a good video on this called "Board Texture"

I also find it helpful to play with an equity software like Flopzilla. Just start playing around with calling ranges vs various V types. I find I run into a lot of "sticky types" so I assign them a calling range of like 20%-25%. Against these ranges, AK is a 63% favorite on low card boards and 2 low 1 mid card type boards. These boards are great to continue betting on.

However, on boards with 3 middling cards, we are only 42% favorite. On these boards, I'm check/folding a lot.

I like to take notes on how specific hands like AK do vs various calling ranges on certain board types. I then review these notes and commit common situations to memory. I find it helpful.

Keep in mind, this works well in a heads up pot. If the pot is multi-way, the dynamics change considerably.

Hope this helps.

• Small_Pond_Crusher Posts: 796Subscriber
    edited November 12
    If he is MR. sticky I like reduce the amount of hands u are opening and when u make top pair or better size for max value and try and get stacks through...check a few flops with nothing and also start value betting second pair on the turn & river in smaller pots....
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 408Subscriber
    RecreationalRoger said:
    So what's the plan when have AK and whiff flop & turn & river? This one has been driving me nuts lately. Might be in the vein of what the OP was driving at.
    I'm often betting AK for value OTF versus this player type.

My action on turns/rivers will depend on what the board texture is and what suits we hold.

As CLD stated, I'm going for super thin value when I make a hand.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,696Subscriber
    If Mr. Sticky is clueless make your bets smaller when you miss and larger when you hit. Very likely he is calling 2/3rds of your CBs. So consider that if you are heads up you only need to bet 35% pot to show a profit with nothing. Which means you only need to win 25% of the time.

When you hit bet larger, whatever he will withstand.

Don't iso-raise with weak hands, limp instead behind others. Just take the better hands vs his range that have a good advantage to compensate for lack of position.

Pay attention to his patterns.

Switch seats.
  • ClockClock Posts: 855Subscriber
    Switch seats
    Print $$$
  • CycleV Posts: 300Subscriber
    Jack7777 said:
    They will be sitting to my left and calling all my late opens.... They will then...win pots with 2nd pair, third pair....The situation will be a soft table when you can win pots easy in position by C-beting flops.
    The subtext I see when I read this is, "It's a soft table that we could totally run over, except this one guy who won't let us. He insists on playing poker, and he keeps calling with the best hand, which is getting in the way of money falling into my lap."

There seems to be a wee bit of entitlement in the original sentiment. And I'm sure we all understand, cuz we all want to print free money. But Mr. Sticky in this case is either outflopping us or outplaying us. Both of these things can (and in my case, often do) happen. Switching seats is the time-honored tradition, but I think even without that we can still make money off a guy who seems like a pretty big station.