Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Look out for this angle..Live advice

BartBart Posts: 4,798AdministratorLeadPro
Just a heads up if you haven’t seen this move before. Just played this hand in a 5-5 game at the Bike with @stayinschool at the table. Villain has been wildly aggro jamming pots opening to huge sizing etc. He sits UTG1 and as the cards are being dealt out UTG straddles. Now UTG1 puts out a “blind raise” to $40. Him and I are $1450 effective. It gets folded to me and I raise from the HJ to $120 with A 7 . It gets folded back to the blind $40 and he immediately moves all-in. I think about it for a bit and even though we are only 30BBs effective don’t think my hand is going to be good here enough to justify the bad pot odds so I fold. Villain then turns over AK.

I wasn’t paying super close attention but immediately I suspected that the blind raiser had seen his hand (perhaps just 1 card) before putting the blind raise out. In between the hand the guy to his right then lip mouthed at me “he saw his hand”.

If you are ever in this situation vs a sudden “blind hand” and it’s close decision remember this post. You have to take into account the fact that the blind hand actually isn’t blind at all and it could be an angle. Again, I don’t know if this happened in this exact spot or it was coincidence but it always seems more than convenient when I guy puts out a blind raise or bet and ends up with a premium holding.

Comments

• irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 296Subscriber
    Similar to the person who puts swears he hasn't looked at his cards before putting in a raise & just happens to have a good hand.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,784Subscriber
    I've had this happen at my table.

Some more to watch out for which are very tricky.

#1 OOP players checks and you check or bet on the river with position and the OOP player says "you got me" and moves his cards forward but never let's go. He hopes you muck.

#2 You bet or raise the river and the other players says "ok" or something similar, grabs his chips and flips his hand face up hoping you flip yours to see if he should fold.... notice he hasn't called or folded yet. He is just holding chips and his hand is up.

#3 Hiding their large denominations behind smaller ones. In CA you could call the floor on it. In FL it still counts and it's your responsibility to know.

2nd one happened to me 3 weeks ago. I wasn't paying attention and openly accused the guy of angle shooting. He left the table shortly after.
  • MastaC707 Posts: 89Subscriber
    If you see someone pull this, even if you're not in the hand, as a serious player (any player) I think you should call them out. Don't let that shit fly. Because that will piss off the bad players that we want to keep in the game. Not to mention the players should be regulating the games.

I had a player try the bet a stack of $5 chips with 3 $100 chips shuffled in to the pile. So he basically bet $345 into $60.

I just laughed at him and called out his lame attempt in a joking way.

You don't need to be an asshole to call people out. Just point it out. It is what it is.

Masta--
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,377Subscriber
    edited November 15
    Oh. I get caught by this angle quite often. I'm a dance

Dunce*
  • MastaC707 Posts: 89Subscriber
    What kind of dance?
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,377Subscriber
    Macarena levels of dance haha.

I fell for this last time and promised no more times. #resolutions
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,224Pro
    I saw a horrible version vs a whale who lost easy 10k per visit - but a nit reg did this and he left poker for good. The whale was playing blind and the reg convinced the whale he was also blind, Money got big and the whale asked several times "you are not lieing right, cause ill call if you are blind like me" Naturally the nit had AA.
  • Jack7777 Posts: 607Subscriber
    Fuzzypup said:

#1 OOP players checks and you check or bet on the river with position and the OOP player says "you got me" and moves his cards forward but never let's go. He hopes you muck.

#2 You bet or raise the river and the other players says "ok" or something similar, grabs his chips and flips his hand face up hoping you flip yours to see if he should fold.... notice he hasn't called or folded yet. He is just holding chips and his hand is up.

2nd one happened to me 3 weeks ago. I wasn't paying attention and openly accused the guy of angle shooting. He left the table shortly after.
    The rooms need rules for this. #2 is starting to happen often. I don't interact with others players I don't know, so I don't move until the dealer says it's my turn.
  • AJoff Posts: 531Subscriber
    edited November 15
    Jack7777 said:
    The rooms need rules for this. #2 is starting to happen often.
    I’ve accidentally done this to another player. I raised an amount thinking i was putting villain all in. Villain shoved with a stack including a $500 chip i didn’t see. I fast rolled thinking there was no remaining action and the villain showed before anther player could point out that i had not called.

The floor indicated i would either get 86’d or ruled against if it happened again.
    Jack7777 said:
    The rooms need rules for this. #2 is starting to happen often. I don't interact with others players I don't know, so I don't move until the dealer says it's my turn.
    Well I got distracted by this attractive waitress walking by just for a second. You want to beat me, be a busty woman and wear a low cut blouse. I won't be able to focus.

• alambic49 Posts: 47Subscriber
    Same thing happened to me before. I ended up making trips on the river and see that a****le leave.
  • fozbo Posts: 63Subscriber
    Just a thought, if the guy was angling.... why show his cards?
    fozbo said:
    Just a thought, if the guy was angling.... why show his cards?
    Because Jesus!
  • Tom Dwans Son Posts: 1Subscriber
    Jim Carroll is known to pull this angle or something similar and even did so on a Poker Night in America broadcast (multiple times I believe). What I saw Jim do on the broadcast is sneakily look at his first card immediately after it was dealt. That card was an Ace, so before he even received his 2nd card he grabbed some chips in both hands and announced that he was playing the hand blind. Then when he received his 2nd card he immediately capped both cards with the chips in his hands. He made a whole production fiasco out of capping his cards to give the illusion that there is no way he saw his cards when in fact he knows he has an Ace and given the way he plays it's probably rare that he folds any Ace preflop regardless of what the other card is.
  • laphonso Posts: 69Subscriber
    You fall for this it’s on you imo, I wouldn’t call Out. It’s poker, I assume everyone angling at all times. I only use info I’ve confirmed w my own eyes, rest is angles. Course I’m jaded via 1000s of LA hours w scumbags
    laphonso said:
    You fall for this it’s on you imo, I wouldn’t call Out. It’s poker, I assume everyone angling at all times. I only use info I’ve confirmed w my own eyes, rest is angles. Course I’m jaded via 1000s of LA hours w scumbags
    I think you are confusing angles with tells. If a player is OOP and goes for his chips holds them then says check that's a strong means weak tell not an angle shoot. I rarely get an angle shooter.