Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 - Simple Spot in 3Bet Pot

dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,636Subscriber
$2/$5 at Choctaw

Villain (HJ - $800) 20s white male, seems competent by the way he handles his chips and carries himself, but also seems a bit tilted/frustrated. I haven't been at the table long, and he hasn't done much, but just based on the way he's acting he's probably stuck.

Hero (SB - $600) 30s black male, just came over from $1/$2. Might be seen as a bit of a recfish, as I had to be explained how the button straddle works in this game (ultimate last action - not what I am used to). Took down one pot with a flop raise on a dry board in a limped pot, otherwise haven't done anything in a couple orbits.

Preflop: Folds to villain in HJ who opens to $15. Hero in SB with A J 3Bets to $55. Villain takes some time and calls.
Pot $110. Flop 4 4 7. Hero does what with initiative, overcards, and nothing else?

Tagged:

Comments

• ohsnapzbrah Posts: 462Subscriber
    I'd either cbet and just barrel off or check down. We don't have blockers to any draws or backdoors. Which means a bet like 40 or so could be called fairly light, followed by a bomb of 120 or so.

But, we're also well ahead of a good chunk of his range and don't necessarily want to bloat the pot.

Against this player, I'd rather the small bet flop bomb turn line. Probably don't have to bomb as hard on an A or J turn.
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 413Subscriber
    no backdoors versus a tilting player who likely is calling at least one street and us out of position? check/fold.
    by 1CycleV
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,142Subscriber
    I would consider a double barrel, you don’t have to go big OTF, you can be like all the cool kids these days and bet $40 followed by a larger sizing turn ( obviously folding to a raise )
    You don’t mind him folding his equity share.
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 668Member
    edited November 22
    Without backdoors I just take the "balanced" approach of x/f here, but a bet is clearly justified based on how often he misses flop. A float or bluff raise though diminishes our immediate +EV of a naked overcard CB however.
  • brick Posts: 59Subscriber
    I'd probably check-fold since we are OOP, with a hand that could have very little equity, against a player who showed aggression preflop. This might not be the hand to go to battle with.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,910Subscriber
    Pretty good spot to bet range for 1/4 pot IMO. Great in theory as it puts villains range in a real tough spot and i'd guess it actually does better in practice as i'd guess most people will way overfold here.
  • Sonny Posts: 104Subscriber
    A question for those advocating for a 1/4 pot size bet... I understand this theory, that a 1/4 pot size c-bet allows us to semi bluff for a cheaper price. Doesn't that look awfully weak though? A half pot size bet is only $15 more and makes our hand look a lot stronger. I think $40 here might get looked up pretty light depending on the player. Two over cards might call $40. I think a 1/4 pot size bet only folds out air. Am I wrong here? $55-60 might even get AQ to fold which is a giant win for us, but I think the same AQ is probably peeling for $40.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,636Subscriber
    I did bet small, planning to bomb the turn. Glad to see $40 seems to be a reasonable size, as that is exactly what I bet. Continuing on...

Hero bets $40. Villain takes quite a bit of time, maybe 30-40 seconds, then raises to $85. Hero?

Being out of position do I just have to fold this? Feeling like I'm getting exploited here ...
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 668Member
    dpbuck said:
    I did bet small, planning to bomb the turn. Glad to see $40 seems to be a reasonable size, as that is exactly what I bet. Continuing on...

Hero bets $40. Villain takes quite a bit of time, maybe 30-40 seconds, then raises to $85. Hero?

Being out of position do I just have to fold this? Feeling like I'm getting exploited here ...
    Gross.

Fold or Jam IYAM. If he's a reg a jam could get through vs an info raise range of 7x/22-JJ. Probably fold. Don't live floating but might work. Shrug.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,378Subscriber
    Without reading responses here. I would bet 1/3 sized bet. I do this cause we would with all pairs and it looks like we might need to run a multi street bluff here.

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,378Subscriber
    After results I'm jamming hahaha. Easy game. Ddr has straight draws
  • maphacks Posts: 1,807Subscriber
    I think we can bet such a board pretty often. Unless I think the guy is a station I would double and triple barrell good runouts.
    edited November 27
    stayinschool said:
    Pretty good spot to bet range for 1/4 pot IMO. Great in theory as it puts villains range in a real tough spot and i'd guess it actually does better in practice as i'd guess most people will way overfold here.
    I doubt we will get any folds with 25% pot. Maybe some T9s without backdoir but that's about it.
    Small sizes work way better on boards with one highcard or boards with a higher pair.

Pretty sure in theory and reality, betting big makes a lot more sense (frequency can still be pretty high)
  • SKOOSKOO Posts: 160Subscriber
    I feel like AJs is more of a 3b squeeze hand with multiple field callers. Given that it's heads up VS a tilting competent player you might be making it harder and a big guessing game for yourself.

Given the description of the player you should be ready to barrel off because he's tilting. Although, Ive seen tilting players fold almost before you cut out your chips for a cbet.

I think you can just easily fold on this flop after he raises. There isn't a ton of merit for a 3b on the flop given your raw equity to only over cards and no real back doors.
    Everyone builds on the fact that he is tilting but we don't even know that...
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 413Subscriber
    maphacks said:
    Everyone builds on the fact that he is tilting but we don't even know that...
    dpbuck said:
    $2/$5 at Choctaw

Villain (HJ - $800) 20s white male, seems competent by the way he handles his chips and carries himself, but also seems a bit tilted/frustrated. I haven't been at the table long, and he hasn't done much, but just based on the way he's acting he's probably stuck.

edited November 28
    He seems, he is probably....etc

I don't make drastic changes in my strategy based on feelings....

What we KNOW: he hasn't done much
  • ClockClock Posts: 871Subscriber
    edited November 28
    I would call and most likely x/call turn bet also.
    What do you think he's raising for value? 77?

I think there's a very good chance he's putting you on AK and sees this bet a weak.
    The very worst case he has a PP trying to protect against 2 overcards, but I think we can sniff it out and maybe even bluff him on the river on certain runouts.
    Not to mention we're getting odds to call and hit one of our cards.

I ace hits I would x/c all the way down as he may try bluff us of a big PP.
    Now I know it doesn't make any logical sense if he's putting us on AK now, but I see this all the time from "good players" that get their ego in the game!