Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fast Track Poker No. 4: Flop Play

Craig Posts: 621Administrator
In depth look at Flop Play. Exploring playing the flop as the preflop raiser in single-raised pots, playing the flop in 3bet pots, playing the flop as the preflop caller.

Module Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/curriculum/flop-play
Tagged:

Comments

• vandwellervandweller Posts: 5SubscriberProfessional
    edited March 24
    With your suggested flop betting ranges in the example hands, we've usually got between about a 1-to-1 ratio to a 2-to-1 ratio in favor of value combos vs bluff combos. Are we going to end up running out of bluff combos by the time the river comes, giving our opponent a chance to exploitively fold 100% to our river barrels?
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 189Pro
    No. Because our flop betting strategy is inherently strong, we can continue to barrel on many turns and rivers on a lot of different runouts on different boards. I do end up on the river with a robust bluffing range on a lot of configurations. And in live poker, it is acceptable and/or desirable to have more value combos than what optimal strategy might want. This is to exploit their leak of calling too much. We will still have a bluffing range, but our bluffing range will be narrower than what an optimal strategy might suggest.
  • BrittGriscom Posts: 22Subscriber
    Since A9s has more preflop equity than A5s, and since according to the chart, A9s realizes its equity better than A5s, why don't we open A9s in earlier position than A5s?
  • BrittGriscom Posts: 22Subscriber
    We are supposed to open A7o on the button, but not 42s. However, 42s realizes its equity better than A7o. Do we open A7o and not 42s despite this because A7o has more equity to begin with?
    BrittGriscom said:
    Since A9s has more preflop equity than A5s, and since according to the chart, A9s realizes its equity better than A5s, why don't we open A9s in earlier position than A5s?
    From my understanding the realized equity chart is not very precise - it requires a lot of assumptions like villain skills, stack depth, our strategy, etc. And the realized equity of A5s and A9s are very close. So for practical purposes, they are pretty much the same. I chose A5s because of better board coverage and straight potential. I can get behind opening A9s from EP, esp from UTG1. It was one of the cusp hands. Again. These charts are not the Bible. They are some rough starting guidelines.

BrittGriscom said:
    We are supposed to open A7o on the button, but not 42s. However, 42s realizes its equity better than A7o. Do we open A7o and not 42s despite this because A7o has more equity to begin with?
    Similar idea here. The numerical value of realized equity is not very precise, so they shouldn't be taken literally. Here I can get behind opening 42s from the BTN, esp in a softer game. Additional reason to favor opening A7o is that we block some of the villain's 3betting and calling hands. When we open with A7o, we will be called and 3bet less than when we open 42s.
  • hustlin Posts: 172Subscriber
    In a normal . Or more of a grinder kind of 2/5 game.
    Can we choose not to open like Q10s, K10s , and J9s. From say UTG & UTG+1.
    Or is that too nitty?
    hustlin said:
    In a normal . Or more of a grinder kind of 2/5 game.
    Can we choose not to open like Q10s, K10s , and J9s. From say UTG & UTG+1.
    Or is that too nitty?
    I think my range that I shared is already very tight. Folding those hands you mentioned is leaving money on the table. I know regs who open more than my ranges that I posted.
    by 1hustlin