Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

A deep, weird spot.

I posted this in slack, so sorry for the double post to those who review both.

1-3, 700 effective. I open AQ of clubs to 10 UTG. Two callers, one of whom is villain. He is a middle aged, rather agro, Asian dude.

Flop is Q72, two hearts, one club. So I have top, top with a BDFD, mandatory bet. I bet 20 into 30, and get min-raised to 40 by villain, other guy folds.
Think this is a clear cut call, we have a good, but not nutted hand and we only really lose to sets and a rare two pair (Q7), neither of which I expect to take this line.

Turn is the A of spades. So now I have aces up, and I am ahead of everything but sets of 7s and 2s. Neither of which I expect to min-raise the flop. I check, going for a small check raise. He bets 75, I raise to 150 (trying to get called by a draw/queen) and he 3-bets to 350. So pot is now lik 685, 200 to call. I call because I don't see him playing a set this way (min raise to bomb raise in particular is just weird).

River is a black 3, he jams (for like 200) and I call because of the pot odds.

Thoughts? Open to possibility that any/all streets were misplayed.
Tagged:

Comments

• FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,784Subscriber
    he never has a set here or almost never.

On this board you should be betting on the smaller side. The board is so dry you want people to call with a 7x hand or 99 here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had AQ himself here.

On the turn when you XR you are 100% looking like a super strong hand. You are making hands like A2 fold which you want in.

As played? His min-raise on the flop looks like TP. You are looking like a big hand also. At this point you are probably calling to chop. Only way I consider folding is if you know when he 3bs he basically has the nuts and nothing else. You get agro players who raise a lot preflop and play post like a station. So when they 3b you preflop it means they have a very strong range.

I would have bet 2/5p and let him hang himself by XC, XC, XRing the river.
    or XC, XC, bet if he tends to X down.

Next time slow down on the flop before you bet and think about how you want to play the hand. Consider your opponent and how he plays. How many streets of value do you want to get. Think exploitive style.

• Jesse_The_Suit Posts: 291Subscriber
    Wait, are you saying I should have checked the flop? Or bet call, call, call/lead.

Also, do you really think he will fold A2/Q7 to a min-check raise on the turn? Also, talking your line, isn't it sort of impossible to get all of our 200 plus bb stacks in by the river?
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,784Subscriber
    Oops my mistake. I noticed it was 2 hearts on the flop.

Your bet is fine. So let's relive the hand.
    I would still BC, XC, XR if he is the type that loves to bluff T+R
    or BC, XC, XC if he isn't one to call a river XR.

If you think he is doing this with a draw you can BC, B, XC/XR/B

That really fucks people up. Basically many ways to play this but it depends on how your opponent acts in these situations.

If he is a complete retard that can't fold 2nd best 2 pair then XR turn to setup river shove.

It's all about his tendencies.

• kaboojie Posts: 99Subscriber
    I think you played it fine. Flop is standard. Turn play is ok. The only other option I see on turn is to c/c then overbet the river looking like a busted draw. Either way, I'm more than willing to get all the money in vs a an aggro V in this spot.
  • z7 Posts: 126Subscriber
    This is a strange spot because it’s 1/3...

When you raise turn it looks like AA QQ 77 or AQ.

Which cards are hearts? Can he have AQhh or A7hh?

When he raises you are essentially at the bottom of your range with AQ... I might just fold. If the Q is a heart I may just fold here on turn. I think we don’t raise turn either. If he has 2-pair he’s betting river. And I wouldn’t expect V to pay off 2 more streets with a worse 2-pair maybe A7. Q7 isn’t calling raise paying off river at least not always. Sometimes people have big hands and you need to fold big hands.

I think he’s polarized when he reraises turn to AQhh or A7hh/A2hh. (Depends what cards are hearts) QQ 77 22 . You only beat one of those hands and that hand still has pretty good equity. You may also see (very rare) AA in 1/3.

That’s my opinion. When players are very aggressive in these spots it’s usually a huge hand. Can he have Q7 here? Sure I guess... but it’s maybe just a tad more often than he has AA.
  • fozbo Posts: 63Subscriber
    Have you played with villan before? Or why can't he have a set here? People do wierd shit at 1/3 I once got triple check raised when v has holding a set lol
    @fozbo, it is possible that he could have a set. The min-raise was weird. Does it mean he can't have a set (or an idea overpair that turns into top set on the turn.)

@7z the queen was a club. So it's possible that he is going nuts with pair plus flush draw. The reason I think we need to put in a raise is that we are crazy deep with a relatively strong hand. Against most villains I don't spend much thinking about how my hand looks to them. So though you are right that I am at the bottom of my raising range on the turn, I think that only matters in so far as how my hand does against his range. I am not worried about being exploited by continuing 100 against a three bet.

Anyway, dude flipped over queen 8 of diamonds. So he is a psycho.
  • CycleV Posts: 324Subscriber
    z7 said:
    This is a strange spot because it’s 1/3...

When you raise turn it looks like AA QQ 77 or AQ.
    To us it may look like that, but to the fish it can look like we have AK, and he's going cray cray with A7/A2. 2p will look like the nuts to him. Conversely, he can convince himself you have KQ and will be scared by the A and fire away. V's who are mostly aggression can almost always talk themselves into, "This is a great card to rep."

And while idk about your game, in mine rfi to 10 will draw the world in, and I fully expect ag-fish to have most of the A7o/A2o combos in their range. I would never get into deep suited combinatorics overthinking with this guy.
  • CrushLiveDegensCrushLiveDegens Posts: 55Subscriber
    What position is Villain?
    Late, cutoff or button.