Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Limping short stackers

FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,784Subscriber
edited December 7 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
A situation I encounter every once in a while online and live.

We will use 1/2 as the example.

Single player limps with $80 stack, you are OTB with a marginal hand like Q 7 or 7 6 or A 4

You have a reasonable chance to steal the blinds as is. Do you iso-raise or do you limp?

Think about your answer then read my thoughts in the secret box below.
Spoiler:
I think you have 2 options

A) raise a smaller amount that leverages the small stack. Other players should think you aren't screwing a round with a shorty

B) raise a large amount and bet smaller. I think this should be used if you have more of a hand you intend to stack off with. Usually people will think small bets are weak. OR vs a fit or fold limper

Comments

• Grinddaddy Posts: 17Subscriber
    I say limp because if they limp raise what’s left
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 1,784Subscriber
    Most don't back raise though
  • fozbo Posts: 63Subscriber
    With a single player limping it has to be a hand I'm willing to stack off with a high % of the time, 77+ aj+ kq, with multiple limpers im willing to open much wider and fold and just consider it a busted steal attempt. It's also villan dependent. 76s, over limp, A4s will depend on opponent but I like an open
  • CycleV Posts: 324Subscriber
    A major factor is how likely they are to limp/shove cuz they've decided it's time to go home. Gotta be careful with those guys, you'll end up being priced in lots of times.

FWIW I did some calcs on almost this exact spot this morning, cuz last night there was an MP open 15, I call in SB, BB ships it for 115, clearly was on tilt and his last top up was for well under the max. Folded to me. Needed 40%, and based on the range I gave him today after running numbers I'd call as far down as 44/ATs.

Vs the generic bad player with a short stack, depends on how fit or fold vs will just open ship any flop he is.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,555Subscriber
    I would adjust my raising range just a little tighter... then "damn, the torpedoes - full speed ahead!"
    if I double them up... then so be it. (I'm bankrolled to take some minor hits)
    Afterwards, they're going to have to play "my game" and they're typically not equipped to play against a wide/aggro player.

So in my mind, I'd be "lending" them another stack of reds which I would intend on collecting before they leave.

On the other hand, if they're the kind that leave when they double up - I give no action and ask for table change.
  • CrushLiveDegensCrushLiveDegens Posts: 55Subscriber
    edited December 8
    It's not just about risking getting shoved on, which is definitely a concern. The other problem with raising light vs short limpers is having postflop maneuverability. If you iso a limper with 40bb, the pot size will be such that you're generally only going to have 2 bets postflop which means you can't triple barrel bluff and you don't get to fully realize the advantage of having position on every street. Additionally, hands like 76s and A4s play extremely well in position multiway so I'm overlimping btn quite a bit in this spot with those kinds of hands. If the limper is weak tight I'd rather ISO the trashier hands that I can just fold if he decides to stick it in.

Edit: I do think option A) is viable (e.g. raise really small, like to 3bb, to keep a bigger SPR) if you expect the blinds to be over-folding. But usually the blinds err on the side of calling too much, especially when the raise is small.