Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fast Track Poker No. 5: Advanced Math

Craig Posts: 746Administrator
Exploring advanced poker math to solidify our technical foundation. Discussion of implied odds, SPR, EV, and indifference. The module will conclude with an example of applying the mathematical concepts discussed here in real life.

Module Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/curriculum/advanced-math
Tagged:

Comments

• Hba777 Posts: 1Subscriber
    @KiLee

I have a quick question about the 5th video on application of mathematical concepts, on the hand where Ro has aces on the 93 4 flop. My understanding from the previous section on board textures was that these kind of boards hit the PF caller’s range (as evidenced by the slightly higher equity) and that, especially when OOP, the PFR should be inclined to check his entire range.

Here, you say that Ro should bet a wide part of his range, and I just want to make sure I understood the reasoning correctly. Are we saying that even though PF caller’s range is theoretically favoured, he is very unlikely to have a made hand already given the lack of pairs in his range, and therefore the PFR can bet more aggressively?

My guess was this has to do with the fact that the low cards on board are 3 and 4 vs let’s say 5/6/7/8, which limits the number of pairs in the range as well as the number of strong draws. In other words, even though there are two connected cards of the same suit on board, it actually is rather dry than wet?
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 266Pro
    @Hba77 - Some boards like Ak4 or 567 are pretty clear who the board favors. A lot of boards are somewhere in the middle and it's not black and white. Here the PFC can have a lot of sets, but that's only a small part of his range. And he really can not have any 2 pairs. But the PFR can have all the overpairs. The PFC doesn't really have OPs. So the PFR can bet a wide range because he has a lot of strong value hands and also hands with good equity. A lot of 2 over cards and FDs or BDFDs or SDs play really well on flops like this. Sometimes we can double barrel on over cards that may not necessarily improve our equity because our range on A/K/Q runout is much stronger than the PFC's. I would say that this board favors the PFR more than the PFC, but it should be close. Even if the PFC has slightly higher raw equity, PFR should have better EV because of the initiative and future playability of a lot of his hands
    by 1Hba777
  • Fishin4s Posts: 3Subscriber
    edited February 10
    @KiLee Question on the actual hand play in video 18 on Implied Odds. On the turn, if you are Ron, it seems like this is a great spot to check-raise since you picked up a bunch of outs, but don't have any showdown value. OTOH, Gil is continuing to bet strong into 2 opponents so maybe you can't assume much fold equity. How would you have played it?