Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 Bluffed flop, too thin to value-bet river?

psi1122 Posts: 130Subscriber
edited January 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
V1- STraddle- Recreational poker player, plays on the looseish side, but nothing too crazy, not be too out of line fwiw.
Overall table is playing on the looseish side. I'm the effective stack at around 300.

1/2, there is a 4 dollar straddle on.

I look down at A J and open UTG to 24 (on the big side, but it's straddle and game is on the loose side), fold to him on the straddle and he defends.

Flop is (~50) 4 T K

He checks, I think I have pretty clear c-bet on a K-high board, I bet 25, and he calls.

Turn (~100) 6.

He checks, without a club, or a bdfd, I think I have to check-behind and hope to realize equity, if I had a club-, I think I have a much easier turn-bluff, being able to rep flushes on certain run-outs

River (~100) is the J

He checks. Do you like to bet a small size here say (40) to get some thin-value from a QJ,J9s,J8s, maybe J7s (I'm guessing he defends his straddle reasonably wide, Tx that's heroing, or do you like a check-back in case he's cautiously playing a King, or occasionally trapping. I don't know how passive is he post, but I do know he plays looseish pre.

Comments

• NotamNotam Posts: 10Subscriber
    Yes. I'd bet this river. I think worrying about a K here is missing value.
  • pokertime Posts: 2,180Subscriber
    I bet turn. He’s very likely on a draw or peeling with a T and maybe A high. He checks a brick and might fold a low pair.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,827Subscriber
    If I'm betting flop I'm sizing bigger vs rec players here.

If I'm betting flop than I'm betting blank turns

River is a small sized bet
  • psi1122 Posts: 130Subscriber
    Sorry for my very slow responses, my wifi over the last few days were very screwy and messy.

Spoiler:
    I checked it back, he showed AT. I felt like I missed out on some potential value on the river. That being said,
    I think betting turn has merit, flopc-beet should be a bit larger I agree.
  • pokertime Posts: 2,180Subscriber
    psi1122 said:
    Sorry for my very slow responses, my wifi over the last few days were very screwy and messy.

Spoiler:
    I checked it back, he showed AT. I felt like I missed out on some potential value on the river. That being said,
    I think betting turn has merit, flopc-beet should be a bit larger I agree.
    Did he have Ac/As?
  • psi1122 Posts: 130Subscriber
    edited January 2018
    I believe he had (don't remember 100%) he had the As Th.

Thank you for everyone's responses, thank you for your time.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I like thin value bet here for sure, QJ is a big target but think we can get plenty of Tx to call too.
  • Bandgeek Posts: 140Subscriber
    I would bet turn. The draws make up a big part of his range, as well as Tx, and at this level alot of villains would give those up on the turn.

On the river, a bet is fine but I'm thinking we value own ourselves alot in a spot like this.