Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AA better heads up or multiway?

Fletch23 Posts: 115Subscriber
edited January 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Settle a debate for me...

I maintain that AA plays better heads up because any hand that is basically a one-pair hand is going to be better heads up. Also, it’s prone to losing huge pots because it’s hard to lay down when you run into a set or two pair.

All of that is obviously true, but the counter argument is that in multiway pots the wins will be so much bigger that it overcomes the losses.

Would you rather see a flop with 1 villain and a $40 pot or 4 villains and a $100 pot with AA?

Comments

• pokertime Posts: 2,180Subscriber
    You’d have to plug it into a solver to know which pot size/ V size makes more in the long run. I assume 4 villains as you are still always the fav with AA even if you don’t win as much. I’m always happy to have AA and I don’t care how many people call. I just need to be able to hand read and get max value or get away post. One or the other. It’s not really a set in stone debate question.
    You’d have to plug it into a solver to know which pot size/ V size makes more in the long run. I assume 4 villains as you are still always the fav with AA even if you don’t win as much. I’m always happy to have AA and I don’t care how many people call. I just need to be able to hand read and get max value or get away post. One or the other. It’s not really a set in stone debate question.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,433Subscriber
    I think what pokertime is saying is.....
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,433Subscriber
    Depends on the villains and the flop BTW. Ideally your raises and 3bs have AA in them but you have enough where people call you incorrectly so you get paid. You might have some 3b hands that are -EV but AA way makes up for it because you get more action. I do believe having 2 callers is actually optimal. It allows for bluff, value, pot building, and better hand reading.
    Lol did this really post 5 times? Sorry! If my phone gets a service lag it keeps re-sending.
  • DrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    edited February 2018
    These questions are really easy to answer using poker snowie considering optimal play. Then you can extrapolate from there.

In bigger games, if folks will let me isolate, AA plays great. At 2/5 I lean toward letting folks in because they are easy to play against (allow us to capture our equity and resistance means 2 pair + reliably and play draws more passively). They also do not fold top pair properly postflop.
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,098Subscriber
    There're many variables (stacks sizes, opponent skill, etc. etc.), but to answer your question in general - it's more EV to have 4 villains and $100 pot vs HU and $40 pot (all things being equal)

What would you rather have is a different kind of question.
    Some people would rather have a pot that's easier to play, less variance etc vs. more EV.