Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 - Squeeze Flops Well, Line Check

dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,009Subscriber
$2/$5 ($500 Cap) at Winstar in Oklahoma

Primary Villain UTG ($700) - 30s White Male, Bad Reg. Seems pretty straightforward, but has shown some tendencies to overplay medium-strength hands and pay off bad players in seemingly obvious spots.

CO ($300) - 20s White Male, recreational player, plays hands very face up - easy to hand read.

Button ($800) - 60s Asian Male, splashy preflop, but fit-or-fold postflop.

Hero in SB ($1400) - 30s Black Male, great image, playing well and running well. Button has made it clear he doesn't want to play pots with me.

Preflop: UTG Straddle to $10. CO and Button limp. Hero in SB with K J raises to $55. BB folds. UTG calls. CO folds. Button calls.
Pot $175. Flop J 5 3. Hero bets $100. UTG tanks and calls. Button folds quickly.
Pot $375. Turn K. Hero bets $150. UTG calls a bit quicker this time.
Pot $675. (Villain has ~$400 behind) River 6...

What do you guys think of the raise preflop? Too loose? Hero's sizing to this point? What are we putting villain on? How do we size the river?
Tagged:

Comments

• Beatsme Posts: 585Subscriber
    Pre flop i kinda mix it up between calling and raising... depends on table villains hero image etc etc. I don't think it's bad.

Flop: I like the sizing. Small enough to target Jx and smaller pp. When villains calls next to act I think his most likely holding is Jx. You didn't say how loose he is preflop but I wouldn't be surprised if a "bad reg" calls from the straddle with J9o+ and J8s+. Basically he can have a bunch of Jx here. Obviously sets of 5 and 3 here as well.

Turn: again I like the sizing. Don't give him an excuse to fold JT by making a big bet. To be honest based on the turn action I dont think his range changes much here. I would expect a set to raise the turn a decent amount on this type if board. We can say that if for some reason he called the flop with 77 he is folding now almost always.

River: ok so Jx of is possible... but i dont think that should make us check. I like a small bet of like 165 to target Jx. Folding to a jam.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,842Subscriber
    This guy's doesn't have a straight or set here. Looks a lot like we need to Target TP here.

I say anything between 160-200 will work.

Other than that nh. Good chance I would have taken same line.
  • fozbo Posts: 108Subscriber
    I like every street action tbh, I also like a shove on river if v likes to make hero calls, if he doesn't, 225 sounds right. yes you don't have any bluffs here but maybe AQ, but he can't hand read well right?
    edited February 2018
    fozbo said:
    I also like a shove on river if v likes to make hero calls, if he doesn't, 225 sounds right.
    Not trying to be nitpicky here but a bet of $225 seems "large" for a 2/5 500 cap game. Maybe dpbuck could lets us know what is considered a "large" bet for that particular game.

I wouldn't mind this sizing if the river was a non but now that the flush comes in that's just another hand that the villain cant beat.

I would take this sizing if the river was a Q, J, T, 9 or 8 because it would have a better chance of giving the villain a worse 2 pair. Actually if the river was a J I think I like a shove.
    Pot $375. Turn K♦. Hero bets $150. UTG calls a bit quicker this time.
    Side note... live read type of thing. Could the quick call perhaps mean that the villain is trying to portray a bit of strength to deter us from betting the river so he can get to showdown? Player dependent but I have seen this in the past
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    Beatsme said:

Not trying to be nitpicky here but a bet of $225 seems "large" for a 2/5 500 cap game. Maybe dpbuck could lets us know what is considered a "large" bet for that particular game.
    This table had been playing a bit on the snugger side. This pot was one of the bigger ones played to that point in the session, and $225 would definitely be a "large" bet in villain's eyes.
    OK that's is in line with what I was thinking... then a like a smaller bet to target Jx. I don't think we can bet 225 and get called by worse more than 50% of the time
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    Our sizing pre (5.5x) over 2 limps & a straddle w/ the BB still to act is pretty small, no?

Other than that, NH. I'd shove river cuz I'm greedy, but betting smaller to target Jx is logical.
    MonadPrime said:
    Our sizing pre (5.5x) over 2 limps & a straddle w/ the BB still to act is pretty small, no?
    $55 is a potsized raise. I would usually make it $60 in that spot, but the table was a bit on the tighter side, so I sized down a tick...
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,842Subscriber
    MonadPrime said:

Other than that, NH. I'd shove river cuz I'm greedy, but betting smaller to target Jx is logical.
    yea intially i thought it was too small but i thought i was being nitpicky haha. i would have went 60-65 but its really more room dependent than anything and table.

Hmmm. Yeah i can see going bigger pre. Imo it depends on the table. I try to make a sizing that i think villains will call with dominated hands.... in this hand KT QJ and QT
  • MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    dpbuck said:
    MonadPrime said:
    $55 is a potsized raise. I would usually make it $60 in that spot, but the table was a bit on the tighter side, so I sized down a tick...
    Honestly I'm going 70-80, or I'm just completing, but to each their own. Part of the value of KJo here is it's fold equity pre IMO because our position & SPR are going to be awkward post alot of the time, & if called, we definitely want to be going HU, which a larger sizing accomplishes iyam.

It's minor, sure, & I could be wrong, but the better you get, alot of the time it's just about refining/revisiting standard/common spots. But like I said, NH.
  • fozbo Posts: 108Subscriber
    edited February 2018
    Beatsme said:
    [quote="fozbo;109116"] I also like a shove on river if v likes to make hero calls, if he doesn't, 225 sounds right.

Being nitpicky is important if your trying to get max value, I just feel like any reg, even bad regs understand pot odds, your giving him an amazing price still, 225 to win 900. If the bet is "big" for the game, then yeah I agree give him a price he has to call.

What ended up happening?
    Spoiler:
    Hero bets $150 targeting Jx. Villain tank calls with AK.