Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Feel I might be getting exploited a bit...

Hey so I play in a fairly small player pool. I’ve been implementing strategies learned here on CLP in the games I play with success for the most part. Specifically bet or raise/folding in thinner value spots has netted me overall good results, however I feel like some of the more aggressive players have picked up on what I’m doing and are exploiting my strategy by overbluffing and raising my turn and river bets often and getting me to fold. What is the best way to combat this? Just call down lighter more often? Tighten value betting range and look to check/call more? Be prepared to shove over them with medium strength hands?

I had kind of a rough session last night and I feel like some losses were due to not recognizing and adjusting to what seemed like my opponents exploiting my thin value bets. After reviewing the session it seemed like certainly this was happening. Thoughts?

Comments

• Fletch23 Posts: 115Subscriber
    If you think some players are raising you light then I guess you should just call them. Even if you’re wrong, it will discourage them from doing it without the goods.

Don’t abandon the thin value bets that are working against other players though.
  • ohsnapzbrah Posts: 632Subscriber
    It seems like you may not be adjusting to specific opponents, instead just having a one size fits all strategy.

Thin value betting and bet folding are good tools to use against the general population. Against better players, you could be exploited if they know what you're doing.

The thing when playing against better players is that they won't call down as light as others. They'll raise some, fold some, and call some. So you have two adjustments that you can make.

1. Call down lighter. If you feel as if their raises are out of balance, call. This is going to be a bit higher variance, and if you are choosing correctly, they'll eventually adjust and start raising only with value. Essential reg war stuff.

2. Implement a more balanced strategy against those regs. Pass up on some of the earlier streets of thin value, and instead have them in a check one or two streets range. We don't really want to play a 100bb plus pot with a hand like KJ on a K964Q run out against these players.

What's good about the balancing strategy is that our range becomes polarized. It's easy to play. We have stuff we will happily stack off with, and stuff we don't mind folding.

I personally rather the second option, and I only use the second option against a handful of players in my room. It's less variance, we don't have to get into leveling wars, and I become tougher to play against. But that also shows the greater scheme of things, in that we should use different strategies against different players. Thin value betting just happens to work on the overwhelming majority of LLSNL players.
  • DrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    Stoked said:
    Hey so I play in a fairly small player pool. I’ve been implementing strategies learned here on CLP in the games I play with success for the most part. Specifically bet or raise/folding in thinner value spots has netted me overall good results, however I feel like some of the more aggressive players have picked up on what I’m doing and are exploiting my strategy by overbluffing and raising my turn and river bets often and getting me to fold. What is the best way to combat this? Just call down lighter more often? Tighten value betting range and look to check/call more? Be prepared to shove over them with medium strength hands?

I had kind of a rough session last night and I feel like some losses were due to not recognizing and adjusting to what seemed like my opponents exploiting my thin value bets. After reviewing the session it seemed like certainly this was happening. Thoughts?

what stakes are these ? Can you give an example?
  • Stoked Posts: 96Subscriber
    Mostly 1/2 200 cap games. Usually the situation comes up when stacks get deeper. For example I flopped middle set on an A high 2 flush board last night and got it in with a short stack and had a side pot with another player who sill had about 200bb eff with me. He check called the blank turn, and then 3bet me off the side pot (which ended up bigger than main pot) on river when front door flush came in. Showed 2 pair, shorty won main pot he actually made the flush. Another player asked him why so aggressive there and he said something to the effect of because I can actually raise and fold. It’s true and most people don’t at that level, but I think maybe I am overfolding in spots and it’s allowing my opponents to overbluff.

Another instance I hold 33 in LP in multiway SRP. Board is 4454 rainbow and V in EP had x/called a 60% pot bet on flop and x/shoves on me for around 3x pot (200bb or so) on the turn. I fold and he shows T8o.

There are a few guys who have started making plays like this at me more often recently, those are just a couple of more extreme examples.

I think I actually just need to call down more against these guys, I guess when I see some of these maniacs going to war with 3rd pair it should be apparent that I’m going to have them beat so often as long as I can accept the variance?...

Thanks for the thoughts everyone I appreciate it. Last nights session was one of my biggest single session loss ever, and between missing opportunities to call down with the best hand as above and losing 3 all-in pots that were each 300-500bb where I was 80% or better on flop or turn I’m still processing it all and trying to see where I made mistakes or can improve my play next time especially against these crazy aggressive opponents.

Onward.

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    For one i'd say it's more likely you have just been running into the top of peoples ranges rather than people are exploiting you.

However, if they are coming after you I would value bet a little thinner and call a little wider, like you said.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,838Subscriber
    No one is exploiting you unless villain does that to everyone else. If he does than maybe a little