Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Overpair on paired board 40-80 O8

BartBart Posts: 5,975AdministratorLeadPro

Just played an interesting hand at Hollywood Park 40/80 O8. Game is generally good as always with mostly weak players that bet their hand.

3 limpers UTG1, MP1 and Co, sb completes and Hero checks Q T Q K in BB.

FLOP: 7 2 2

It gets checked around.

TURN: T

Sb checks, Hero bets, UTG1 calls, CO calls.

RIVER 1: 5

RIVER 2: K

One of these rivers was the actual river. What do you do here in each case?

Comments

• 2thdoctor Posts: 66Subscriber
    XXX2 is a very commonly played hand in o8 but with villains who play face up you would expect a bet very often on this flop, SB naturally may have trashier 2XXX hands but also checks the turn so our QQ is very likely best high, plus we block TT here. When called twice it’s likely by low draws and heart draws.

On river 1 were hoping to get called by two completed lows to get 1/2 of each bet. I like the bet, be prepared for A3xx to raise and force you to call another bet.

River 2 I check. We are unlikely to be called by worse hands since missed lows will fold but a hand like AK4x now beats our KQxx. The river may also be a decent check call to catch any hands like A3hhxx on a river desperation bluff
  • BartBart Posts: 5,975AdministratorLeadPro
    We have KT in hand 2.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    not a omaha reg but i like posting.

no one raises turn or bets flop, i discount all 2s.

river 5, i check and look to call 1 BB only. if someone bets and gets raised im out

river k, im more likely to bet.
    neverlearn2 said:
    not a omaha reg but i like posting.

no one raises turn or bets flop, i discount all 2s.

river 5, i check and look to call 1 BB only. if someone bets and gets raised im out

river k, im more likely to bet.
    What are you scared of on a 5 river?
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    Im not really scared but more worried about getting trapped in the middle I guess. People will be raising or betting a lot of lows with a river 5. So immediately we will be playing for half. but 5 would only help i they have 55xx here which is probably a low %.

should we be betting with the 5 as well, i guess i was scared of the low coming which now that im looking at it, the river 5 shouldnt help a high hand that much at all.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    I seriously discount all 2xxx, 77xx, and TTxx after their lines since there was a flush and low draw available on the flop. I think you are likely up against a range of mostly low draws, flush draws, and/or weak two pairs.

I’d bet the K River for value sometimes value owning myself versus AAxx, 22xx, or weirdly played hand but paid off by worse two pairs.

The 5 river is a bit trickier OOP I think. I think a bet hoping to get called by two low hands is reasonable but also don’t mind a check/evaluate. The UTG1 player is likely to have A3 or A4 since he would’ve bet sooner with A2 or 23 So I might make my decision based on how I think he reacts with either of those hands.
  • workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    The 5 I'm betting to get called by made lows. The K i'm checking to bluff catch. I think you're good here almost always. Someone might have a 234x hand that they checked flop and called turn hoping you didn't have a better 2. I don't see anyone calling your bet on the K river who doesn't have you beat.
    workinghard said:
    The 5 I'm betting to get called by made lows. The K i'm checking to bluff catch. I think you're good here almost always. Someone might have a 234x hand that they checked flop and called turn hoping you didn't have a better 2. I don't see anyone calling your bet on the K river who doesn't have you beat.
    You don’t think someone with AK will call river on a K river?
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Hand 1 (river 5d):
    Bet to get called by rivered lows / call a raise. We can reasonably get 2 callers here and win the high.

Hand 2 (river Kc):
    Bet to get called by Kxxx, or Txxx. If the middle player raises , I might consider folding -- tho it would be so rare for someone to slow play a better high hand with a flush draw and a low draw out there. I think we generally call a raise from the last player to act if the middle guy folds since he has a lot of missed draws.
  • workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    Bart said:
    workinghard said:
    Yah, but I also think you're getting value owned a bit. There are, I feel, a lot more combos of weak 2xxx hands that check flop and call turn than there are combos of AK. probably, no one has AKhh since it was checked thru on flop. But O8 isn't really my game espicially at the 40-80 level so I'm curious what the final answer is. I can see arguments for betting or check-calling that river.
    workinghard said:
    Bart said:
    workinghard said:
    Yah, but I also think you're getting value owned a bit. There are, I feel, a lot more combos of weak 2xxx hands that check flop and call turn than there are combos of AK. probably, no one has AKhh since it was checked thru on flop. But O8 isn't really my game espicially at the 40-80 level so I'm curious what the final answer is. I can see arguments for betting or check-calling that river.
    Basically if the players in the field have limped and have a 2 it’s going to always be A2 or trip 2s and a low draw on 722hh. So like 2345. I just don’t see how a deuce ever checks the flop for those reasons. Especially with 2 hearts out there. It’s limit. Bart
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    High__Rolla said:

The 5 river is a bit trickier OOP I think. I think a bet hoping to get called by two low hands is reasonable but also don’t mind a check/evaluate. The UTG1 player is likely to have A3 or A4 since he would’ve bet sooner with A2 or 23 So I might make my decision based on how I think he reacts with either of those hands.
    To further elaborate, can we check the river, get UTG1 to bet his nut or second nut low, and then have CO call even if he is weak both directions? Then, we can x/r and potentially pickup two additional calls. With this line, we may be more likely to get CO to call the bet from UTG1 than have to overcall a lead by Hero and a call (or even raise) by UTG1.
    High__Rolla said:
    High__Rolla said:

To further elaborate, can we check the river, get UTG1 to bet his nut or second nut low, and then have CO call even if he is weak both directions? Then, we can x/r and potentially pickup two additional calls. With this line, we may be more likely to get CO to call the bet from UTG1 than have to overcall a lead by Hero and a call (or even raise) by UTG1.
    The problem with checking the river here on a 5 is the frequency that player 1 bets. If he has A4 no high hes not going to bet. If he has AT hes probably not going to bet. A lot of A3s bet the flop too. So I'd rather bet than go for a tricky check raise.

Bart