Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

This guy always beats me in 3bet pots

pocketzeroes Posts: 174Subscriber
edited February 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
There’s a certain reg/pro who keeps winning (almost every) 3bet pot we play. He plays the 2/5/10 and 10/10 game I play, and I see him playing 10/25 when it runs.

He’s usually 3betting more than anybody else at the table. Often from his blinds. But every time I called down he has it. I’ve seen him show up with hands like A7s from CO after HJ raise, KTo from B.B. after SB raise (after limpers), etc. And I have seen him show down a couple big bluffs after getting called, which have always made sense.

Some HHs (not including a bunch of hands where I just folded to his 3bets, and some where I called and folded flop - there were a couple small ones I won tho; and some single raised pots I’ve won too).
1. 10/10. Villain raises MP, hero 3bets with QQ to ~$150, villain 4bet to $420, hero calls. Flop is 662ss. Villain bets 450. Hero calls. Turn brick. Villain 800. Hero calls. River brick. Villain shoves ~1500. Hero calls. Villain has KK. (Pretty sure I should’ve folded here).

2. 2/5/10. Hero raises CO with XX, villain 3bets BTN, hero 4bets, villain 5bets, hero folds. Villain shows 95s.

3. 2/5/10. CO raises to $35. BTN calls. Villain 3bets from SB to $170. This sizing was unusually big. Hero flats with QQ. CO flats. BTN folds. Flop T73ss. Villain checks. Hero bets $150. CO folds. Villain calls. Turn brick. X/x. River T. Villain shoves and covers hero’s 800. Hero calls. Villain has AA. (I was close to folding here).

4. 2/5/10. Hero raises ATs from SB to $50. Villain 3bets straddle to $160. Hero calls. Flop JT5 with one spade. Hero checks, villain bets 220. Hero calls. Turn 6. Hero checks, villain bets 565. Hero folds.

5. 2/5/10. Hero raises BTN. Villain 3bets from SB. Hero 4bets (Ax). Villain 5bets big committing stacks. Hero folds.

6. 2/5/10. Villain raises SB. Hero 3bets straddle (QTo). Villain 4bets. Hero folds.

(Note: not including a bunch of hands where I opened and just folded to his 3bets.)

The latest frustrating hand...

2/5/10. Hero has AdQc and raises to $35. Folds to villain in B.B. who 3bets to $160. Hero calls. Flop QJ9ddd. Villain checks, hero checks. Turn Tx. Villain bets $220. Hero calls. River brick. Villain bets $600. Hero folds (I was really considering shoving ~2k left on river, we started with about $2400).

Any thoughts? We haven’t played a ton of sessions together, and it definitely seems like there’s been a lot of these pots for how many sessions we have played together. It seriously seems like he’s 3betting over 10% of my opens, so I don’t want to just fold everything but my premiums.

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,804Subscriber
    Any merit to maybe you are giving something away by motions or bet sizing?
  • iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
    edited February 2018
    6. Do not 3 bet qto when you are closing the action. Just call and play a pot in position against his SB raise.

5. Which Ax did u 4 bet? Was it suited? Don't get frustrated and start 4 bet bluffing too many hands. You have to careful with those bluffs.

4. I would not be folding turn there. You block aa, aj, jts and tt. You do not block KQ or 89. Sometimes you just have to go to war. This is a good hand to station him with.

3. Standard. But why do u check turn? I would bet turn small or check flop. Checking flop is good because your hand is very face up when you cold call the 3 bet and bet into 2 players on flop.

2. Again, what was your exact hand? Don't just tilt 4 bet him. Think about your preflop strategy more.

1. River is close. I dont mind calling it off sometimes. Probably a board you could fold on but these leveling wars haven't been working for you. So whatever.

I think you need to plan your preflop strategy more cleanly and play more tough postflop.

He could just be running good against you over a small sample size. So don't take it too personally.
  • pocketzeroes Posts: 174Subscriber
    edited February 2018
    iamallin said:
    6. Do not 3 bet qto when you are closing the action. Just call and play a pot in position against his SB raise.

5. Which Ax did u 4 bet? Was it suited? Don't get frustrated and start 4 bet bluffing too many hands. You have to careful with those bluffs.

4. I would not be folding turn there. You block aa, aj, jts and tt. You do not block KQ or 89. Sometimes you just have to go to war. This is a good hand to station him with.

3. Standard. But why do u check turn? I would bet turn small or check flop. Checking flop is good because your hand is very face up when you cold call the 3 bet and bet into 2 players on flop.

2. Again, what was your exact hand? Don't just tilt 4 bet him. Think about your preflop strategy more.

1. River is close. I dont mind calling it off sometimes. Probably a board you could fold on but these leveling wars haven't been working for you. So whatever.

I think you need to plan your preflop strategy more cleanly and play more tough postflop.

He could just be running good against you over a small sample size. So don't take it too personally.
    Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

A comment about (6) - I was not closing the action. There were one or two limpers in the hand, and I thought his sizing was smallish for a premium considering that.

Also, for (3) - I thought his flop x/c after his large sizing was really suspicious. I kinda put him on exactly AA realizing that I must have a hand like TT-QQ to be flatting his preflop raise with my stack size. Plus his sizing pre did seem unusually large. Still I couldn’t find a fold on the river.

And for (4) - yeah I kinda regretted not stationing here for the reasons you mentioned.

You’re right about tilt 4betting.