Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 5 PLO8

Beatsme Posts: 587Subscriber
Nate straddles for 10 pretty much every hand when he feels like it... He just likes to be the one driving the action.

The shortstacking newbie is an older holdem player who plays holdem pretty close to the vest. Never seen him in our plo8 game before. He started with 300 and won a pot with a pair of 8s when he bluffed shoved the turn with nut low draw... got called by Nate and won the pot with 1 pair

Straddle is on for 10
Nate straddle mp (700 eff)
I call next to act A 2 3 8
4 other calls nate checks

Flop (60) A 5 6
Short stack newbie leads into the field for 60 (350ish behind)
Nate calls
I call
Turn (240) 8
Newbie checks
Nate bets 130
What's our play here?
Should we be repotting? Or wait till the river to repot?

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I'm raising this turn card vs his half pot sized bet almost every time. We can get thick value here with a likely 3/4 hand. And people just have an almost impossible time folding a one way hand like 23xx.
    We can even get him to commit sometimes with a hand that is being scooped on the turn like A534.
    Get the monies in.
  • Beatsme Posts: 587Subscriber
    Are we ever concerned about the bb player who potted the flop? I think this is 23xx a decent amount of the time
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    How is him having 23xx concerning? We more than likely have him 3/4 if he has 23xx. Get the monies in!
  • BartBart Posts: 5,972AdministratorLeadPro
    Damn, I had written a response out a few days ago that must not have posted. I am all-in on the turn for sure. Its PLO8 not Big O, no need to be scared of monsters under the bed.

Bart
  • Beatsme Posts: 587Subscriber
    Ok so ott I kinda thought the older holdem player had 23xx as well. I pretty much figured the straddler was toast so I didn't want to give him a reason to fold by repotting the turn... I guess I should have stated in the op that the straddler and I play alot... and he precieves me as very tight. I wanted him to stay in so I just flatted the turn and the older holdem player called as well

Spoiler:
    our dream card fell otr...
    River (630) A
    Check
    Straddler bets 250ish
    I shove
    Fold
    Straddler calls and I scoop.

Looking back not sure If I played good where i got and extra 130 from the bb. Or i lost the rest of his money because he would have put his stack in ott.... not really sure
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    edited March 2018
    I would pot the flop. It’s very difficult for a single hand to have you in bad shape. A call may invite high only hands to come along when you can raise and fold out their equity. Nate’s line is weak, and a raise puts a lot of pressure on a weak two way hand from him and/or the newbie.

As played, I would pot the turn over the $130 bet. It takes 23xx where the xx is a set or straight to have you in bad shape, and that is a tiny percentage of the hands that would lead. If Nate has a high-only hand, you want to free-roll him with your FH draw. If he has 23xx, you are likely ahead with your aces up. If he has a non-nutted two way hand, you may be scooping.

The remaining stack-size of the Newbie is not enough to affect your decision OTT, and if he had a really strong hand, he should've lead.