Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO Private Game 5/10/25/50/100 lol

5/10/25 Game. 4:00pm and game is still going from the night before. Hero arrived an hour earlier and is known to the table as tight solid pro but fairly new to PLO. I arrived not knowing that the game was playing so big with straddles (outside of my comfort zone currently) but stayed because game was REALLY GOOD. There were two huge whales and two other med-large fish and a few of them were stuck 10k+

$3800 eff. 5 handed (2 players out for smoke break). V1 ($5000) is one of biggest losers in player pool and is currently stuck $15k. Loves to gamble it up and only bets pot or re-pot ever. Will make moves and try to rep everything. V2 ($22k) is a big losing player. Game of choice is 10k+ per hand baccarat. Hyper aggressive pre and post. Would rather crush a pro to brag then actually win money.

5/10/25/50 straddle/100 straddle LOL
Sb folds, hero calls $100 UTG ($3800) with AAQ3hcsc, v2 $300 UTG1 (10k), v1 calls Btn ($5k), hero flats.

$950
Q75hsc
V1 $500, v2 calls, hero calls

$2450
Jc
Hero checks, checks through.

Ad
Hero $1150 ($1800 behind), V $2400, hero?

I am comfortable with big NLH but have been playing PLO for less than 10 months. Ive left my thought process at the time and after review out of hand on purpose. Looking for constructive criticism please.

Comments

• Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
    Fold. KTxx beats you. Maybe better to check river if you are willing to put 1150 into a call with 2nd nuts.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    Preflop - if I limp aces here, I do it intending to limp/reraise if I can get about 30% of my stack in preflop. When it gets back around to you, you can reraise to $1250 which is enough. The two described players are likely never folding, and may ship to take the opportunity to gamble. It's high variance, but high EV. You have 46% equity 3-way versus two opponents with 30%!AA ranges, and 65% heads up if you were to GII preflop. If you get 1-2 callers after reraising, you will have to GII on all but the worst flops.

Flop - As played, I don't mind the x/c on the flop. You can make an argument for leading here, but risk getting raised.

Turn - You have $3000 left and the pot is $2450. I'd lead for pot here and commit. You have 33%+ equity versus QJxx or another two pair (and may have some fold equity versus the worst two pairs). A set is not impossible, but I think unlikely based on the Villians' lines and bet sizes. Meanwhile, you can get called by all kinds of straight draws around the QJ and 75 and/or inferior flush draws, which you lead.

River - I think it is very unlikely either Villain has a set or QJxx based on the turn. So, this value bet is thinner than it looks. You would be looking to get called by aces up or someone bluffcatching. With a tight image, I think I'd often check here and potentially bluff catch myself. As played, you are getting a great price, so its hard to fold, but I think this is almost always KTxx.
  • InFlow Posts: 11Subscriber
    Thanks for the feedback.
    High__Rolla said:
    Preflop - if I limp aces here, I do it intending to limp/reraise if I can get about 30% of my stack in preflop. When it gets back around to you, you can reraise to $1250 which is enough. The two described players are likely never folding, and may ship to take the opportunity to gamble. It's high variance, but high EV. You have 46% equity 3-way versus two opponents with 30%!AA ranges, and 65% heads up if you were to GII preflop. If you get 1-2 callers after reraising, you will have to GII on all but the worst flops.
    My intention at the time was to limp re-pop an open from the button from a stuck and spewy V1 as V is almost always just getting it in Pre vs me. When V2 opened and V1 flatted I thought that a re-pot from me would get 3 ways a lot. Because of this is chose the lower variance route. In hindsight I agree and think an open or limp re-pot is better vs these opponents.
    High__Rolla said:
    Turn - You have $3000 left and the pot is $2450. I'd lead for pot here and commit. You have 33%+ equity versus QJxx or another two pair (and may have some fold equity versus the worst two pairs). A set is not impossible, but I think unlikely based on the Villians' lines and bet sizes. Meanwhile, you can get called by all kinds of straight draws around the QJ and 75 and/or inferior flush draws, which you lead.
    Plan at the time was to c/r and gii. Would you suggest a turn lead is optimal on most turns? (except maybe 4-9)
    High__Rolla said:
    River - I think it is very unlikely either Villain has a set or QJxx based on the turn. So, this value bet is thinner than it looks. You would be looking to get called by aces up or someone bluffcatching. With a tight image, I think I'd often check here and potentially bluff catch myself. As played, you are getting a great price, so its hard to fold, but I think this is almost always KTxx.
    At the time my thinking was that they are such stations that i need to get value. This is definitely a leak of mine that I've brought over from NLH where it is essential. Thinking about it after the hand they really don't have much of a value range here at all, and of the range they have, I block most of it. I like c/c line to try and pick off a bluff from opponents with overly aggressive tendencies also.

As a side note it seems to me that the whole idea of PLO's high variance often intimidates (new) players into taking "lower variance" lines. But in the end these lines seem to end up being higher variance because they lead to playing hands with Villains ranges less defined and also lean us towards incorrect calls because our hand is "under repped". Does anybody else agree or have a better way of explaining this?

• z7 Posts: 225Subscriber
    edited March 2018
    So I’m okay flatting pre. Though I would probably 3bet with it being double suited.

On the flop with this shallow spr I think I’m just gonna get it in. I think with 500 and a call you need V’s to fold their equity. I also expect most recs to bet more with a set. So I think I’m just popping this and getting 1 or both to fold.

Turn as played. Check evaluating seems fine. I don’t like c/r on this card if V bets like 1200 or so. Not sure how I feel about leading.

River as played. This exact spot came with a professional friend of mine. Where flop and turn checked through in QJxx A on river. My friend bet got raised and called with AA. I thought it was a spew. They both made it clear they did not have value hands so similar to here, V’s don’t have value. The 500 bet from a rec on flop I see as usually weak, and the call as well. So betting river is wanted to get called by AQ AJ. Which you are blocking. Now when raised, if he didn’t have value he probably had 1 pair+ or pair + Sd Which with the raise in the river he probably had a hand like KKTx KQTx etc.

So I don’t like betting the river that often. And calling the raise seems optimistic. I think checking induces enough stabs where betting you will get raised or folds. Rarely called by AQ and even less so by AJ.

z7 said:
    So I’m okay flatting pre. Though I would probably 3bet with it being double suited.
    It was a single suit FYI. Double suited I just Gii pre if possible or get money in OTF if not Pre.

Thanks for your feedback especially river play as played.
    Spoiler:
    V had Kt98

Results aside I'm really unhappy with how I played this hand.
  • z7 Posts: 225Subscriber
    Yes I meant that’s why it’s okay flatting and if it was double 3-bet
    by 1InFlow
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    InFlow said:
    Thanks for the feedback.
    High__Rolla said:
    Plan at the time was to c/r and gii. Would you suggest a turn lead is optimal on most turns? (except maybe 4-9)
    I just don't think your stack size is deep enough on this turn to play it for a x/r. If you check there is a decent chance that V2 bets, V1 calls, and then both are priced in versus your x/r all-in. You should be in reasonable shape equity-wise, but I'd rather lead and maybe get someone with 75xx or similar to at least consider folding.
    by 1InFlow