Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Seminole Hard Rock $570 Deepstack Tomorrow

BluDevil22 Posts: 14Subscriber
edited April 5 in Tournament Discussion
Hey guys,

I am leaving for Florida tomorrow morning to play the $570 Deepstack 1M Guaranteed at the Seminole Hard Rock. My play and study has been mainly focused around tournaments lately, and I am stoked to play in this one, which will be the biggest live event of my career. I will most likely be posting hand histories and intersting spots in which I'm involved during the next couple days. As always, looking forward to getting all of your feedback and advice. Let's take this one down!!!

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,950SubscriberProfessional
    Good Luck!
  • justfourfun Posts: 153Subscriber
    Good luck! I'm off to the Potawatomi in Milwaukee for an $1100 MSPT $300k guaranteed tomorrow myself. Let's win and compare notes
  • BartBart Posts: 5,413AdministratorLeadPro
    Update @bluedevil22 ? Hope you have a nice stack going into day 2! Bart
  • BluDevil22 Posts: 14Subscriber
    Bart said:
    Update @bluedevil22 ? Hope you have a nice stack going into day 2! Bart
    I played Flight C yesterday and busted in level 10. I am going to play flight F tonight at 6pm. The field overall is quite fishy/passive, and I have definitely been running below EV in big pots...I'm going into tonight with a plan to really isolate these weaker players and get their chips before they punt them to someone else. I'll try to post specific hands tomorrow morning.
    Hmmmm...”plan to isolate the weak players...” Blue I would advise against this. There Already is so much to keep track of at the table and by your post I would guess that you now will do a calculation to open up your range when a weak player enters a pot. I see this alot by good player in tourneys and I think its a mistake. Good players entering pots from behind with an expanded calling range because they have a post flop edge over the obvious fish. Don’t do it! As hands fold around to you your opening range should be expanding. Even moreso if the players to your left are weak and or out of position. Which raises an interesting point: would you rather play post flop against a fish when you are oop; or play a hand with position against a solid pro? I think that’s close. Anyway you definitely need to be aware of the strength of players at your table but I would not overcall a weak player with an expanded calling range to iso a weak player. This is the biggest mistake I see in tourneys made by skillful players.
    Hey guys, I bagged only ~40k heading into Day 2 this morning. Busted early this morning shoving 13BB into chip leader's AK. Played the $300 turbo immediately after and was able to recoup some losses by taking 15th out of roughly 200 players. I'll post a couple more hands from these tourneys, but here is one I'd like to discuss from yesterday's $570 Deepstack (my second bullet).

Level 2 Pre-Ante (50/100): 7 handed. All sitting with roughly 20k.

MAWG (seems straight-forward, bets big with strong hands) opens UTG to 250*.

*The sizing seemed a little small but I hadn't played enough hands with him to be sure.

One fold. I call with 8♠8♥ in HJ. CO folds. Button (gambler who has been blind raising/calling UTG) calls. SB calls. BB calls.

Flop(1250): 5♥ 7♣ 8 ♦

UTG bets 600. I flat*. Button squeezes to 2200. UTG 3-bets to 6k. I flat*. OTB folds.

*I like a flat here because I am next to act and I want to allow other players to come in and/or squeeze, especially the maniac OTB. UTG will fire big on turn with overpairs in a bloated pot and I will easily get stacks in. His squeeze was somewhat expected, I think he has a lot of pair + straight draw or two-pair in his range. UTG's 3-bet is ridiculous and weird...all I could assume was JJ+ that are looking for info. So, again, I flat. Another consideration I made was that the button could have 64 and 69 in his range, and that he would 4-bet shove these behind me and I could then see what odds I'd be getting (although obviously priced in for 2:1 with 2 cards to come). Let me know what you think about this thought process....

Heads Up to a Turn(15450): 9♦

UTG (slightly covers me) insta-shoves for my remaining 13.5k.

I tank. Trying to think about what hands could possibly 3-bet flop and shove into me on this turn. It seems unlikely that he would do this with anything but a 6...so, A6 suited, 66??? would those really 3-bet the flop? I was getting 2.1:1 on a call with what I presumed was 10 outs, and I ended up folding.
    Spoiler:
    I understand that you need a killer mentality in tournaments to crush, and I went into yesterday prepared to make big decisions and be comforatble going with my instincts.
    I also get that villain can have 55 and 77 but his lead-shove for 200+BB second level was screaming straight. Doug Polk recently made a video entiltled "the #1 mistake poker players make," which I think is very applicable here. I am calling with all my straights here, but if I cannot call with top set, my calling turn calling range MUST be too weak, right? Anyway, I talked to villain on a break and he said he had 1010 and that he was "protecting his hand, which he believed was best." sickening...both his level of incompetence and the fact that I gave him so much credit when I could have doubled to 40k early in this huge event.
    justfourfun said:
    Hmmmm...”plan to isolate the weak players...” Blue I would advise against this... As hands fold around to you your opening range should be expanding. Even moreso if the players to your left are weak and or out of position. Which raises an interesting point: would you rather play post flop against a fish when you are oop; or play a hand with position against a solid pro? I think that’s close. Anyway you definitely need to be aware of the strength of players at your table but I would not overcall a weak player with an expanded calling range to iso a weak player. This is the biggest mistake I see in tourneys made by skillful players.
    You bring up some solid points. In a tournament like this (starting stack 400 BB), is it not worth it to play a greatly expanded range in position against these fish for a minimal amount of my stack when I know they will make massive postflop calling/betting mistakes. Obviously approaching 100BB and regular tourney stacks I would tighten up significantly. The fish don't last too too long, so I figured the greater number of hands I played against these people, the better chance I'd have to get all of their chips. Or, do you approach every stage of the tourney from a more GTO-based strategy?
    I play very conservatively whenever I am 100+ BB deep. Fishy players do make big mistakes but they also tend to bet overly aggressive - overplaying hands. So the fish lose their entire stacks in just one or two big hands. They also will attempt big bluffs and call big bets saying “I thought you were bluffing” . Weak passive fish are less common and lose their chips slowly and gradually. An adjustment I make when playing with the fish is not to play more hands with them but instead I try to play big hands against them. I will make large bets - 150% of the pot otf - when I think I am best in a hand heads up with a fish. Fish will also be more likely to realize their equity in a hand even when it’s only 25%. At the early levels of a tourney I don’t need all those chips and so I am just fine getting a fish to lay down his J high flush draw otf to my top set. Of course I will get called often by fishy players in this type of hand and I hear all the time that “...you bet so big I thought you were bluffing.” Ah... no. The reason I bet so big is that I had the best possible hand.
    As for the hand where you flopped a set I would have played it much more agressively. The button or BB could have flopped a straight but I would allow myself almost zero chance to fold my top set as I would bet very aggressively at every opportunity otf. When utg bets 600 otf I would raise to 2500. As played I would jam the second time around otf. I also jam the turn with utg’s only reasonable holding that I am concerned with being a 66. You cant win the tourney in level 2. Small chip increased while avoiding downside risk works best here. Don’t be afraid of the straight here. Bet hard and you might be pleasantly surprised by an AA or 66 looking you up.
    Slow play looks so pretty when it works. Save that play for when you are at the final table
  • FriendlyFish Posts: 74Member
    I like the play on flop, I would have played exactly the same way.

Turn I am snap calling. He still has 1010+ here that feels commited anyways, especially 1010 JJ that pick up straight draws.

We only lose to 99. I don’t think he bets 3b flop with 66 or A6s, A6s he probably will not even open utg pre ante.

Once I flat flop I am gii on all turns. If you’re not comfortable calling it off on all turns you should put in a min raise after his 6k.