Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Isolation bets and 3bets

Hey everyone. First time poster. Posting here to discuss this part of my game. I've been playing in the LA area. Ever since I've started consuming this site's content my game has changed drastically from say half a year to a year ago. But even before using this site I realized I was way too tight preflop, probably just because I was too afraid to really stick my neck out there.

Nowadays I've become fairly looser in that I'm opening lighter when I think I can, keeping in mind of stack sizes, player tendencies, position, etc. I don't really stick to strict ranges. My ranges from all positions are always shifting. Not really sure if this is good practice or not. I'd believe so if I was evaluating the situation correctly.

Basically, I'd open 22+ in all positions, cutting the weaker parts out accordingly depending on the table.
I'd open all suited connectors 89+, or open folding them if I think I'll get too many callers, etc. I Rarely limp but I'll do so later positions with small suited hands, sometimes isoing with them.

So I've noticed my playstyle change quite a bit. I want to discuss a potential leak in my game because I've been trying to stick my neck out a bit.

Basically, I feel like the goal of isoing people is to generate loose money to pick up. If people limp call with weaker ranges than "standard", I try to iso them with a wide range or a tighter, but still wide, range with 3bets/squeezes vs what I feel is light opens. The loose money comes from people calling with weak ranges and me attempting to have them fold/call by cbet/delay cbet or barrel/delay barrel, generally with frontdoor or backdoor equity. I'm generally trying to attack limpers, weak opens/calls, when I can.

My main point is.... I'm generally the person 3betting the most at the table, maybe even several times more than others. This allows me to generate money by making people fold hands they should, fold hands they shouldn't, call with hands they should, call with hands they shouldn't, across all streets and boards that I understand how to. It also allows me to weave in value so that I'm not as predictable of a player. Is this a good way to approach the game?

At what point is my iso/3bet frequency a bit much? In my game i've noticed more callers in general (2-4) and it makes it tougher to really win pots unless I smash the board with equity. Do I just polarize my betting patterns against the weaker players and just cbet/barrel if I have enough equity? I think more people are limp calling because I was raising more often so maybe that was a way for some of them to adjust, rather than just 3betting me light, because they don't really know how to continue with that type of tool.

At what point is my cbet/barreling frequency too much? Is it if I realize people are calling me lighter(them having a piece of the board)? Can I counteract this besides tightening my ranges?

Do I maintain this playstyle and maybe make my bets more efficient by sizing down slightly? What are some adjustments you guys/girls would make?

Example:

One limper early, one limper MP, I open late position (more often if I think the blinds are tight and will fold) with say 8 9 . Limpers call. Board comes K 7 2 . Limpers check to me. I choose to attack them on this board by cbetting because it's disconnected and I can gain equity on the turn with backdoor straight/flushdraws. They don't always have a king here so I can fold out all potential better hands, unpaired and paired. They folded. The times that I do get calls however I'll evaluate turns and rivers and bet accordingly. How can I refine this part of my play so that I'm not letting money leak away?

I feel like I'm probably doing too much thin barreling sometimes. Sometimes I'll even bet without much equity if I think they'll fold on dry boards.

Another example.
I'm in LP with KTo and I iso limpers.
The flop will come say Q74r. They still check to me but I have way less backdoor equity. The best thing I have really is that I block stronger Qx type hands that may open limp. Is it generally okay to cbet/delay cbet? I feel like this type of board where I have less backdoor equity maybe I should be checking back to evaluate what they do on the turn to reveal the strength of their hand. If they still check to me on a brickish turn should I consider betting even though I have no real equity? Do I just kind of give up from the start?

I've come to realize there are more situations that occur where I can play entirely on my opponent's range and use certain run-outs to pressure people to fold. One of the most subtle things I've noticed is how effective bet-folds are for getting people off their hands. Some people will just LET you know what type of hand they have on the turn/river when you bet or if they lead.

What do you guys/girls think?
Tagged:

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,413AdministratorLeadPro
    Im not exactly sure what the problem is here. Are you saying that you are 3 betting a lot and still getting multiple callers which leads to you leaking money because you are making non profitable cbets?

Usually I tell people that once 2-3 people have limped in from up front in a 5-5 game I tend to only raise hands that are the equivalent of my EP raising range, and I overlimp everything else. So hands like off suit broadways and maybe your worse pairs and suited connecters could be the holdings that you fins are leaking money. Also its extremely easy to over bluff post flop on what you think are good barrel boards. Thats why I would lean toward raising more suited hands so that you can have a natural frequency selector of dbl barreling times when you pick up backdoor equity. With a hand like KT on that Q47 board you can see that is somewhat difficult to to. If you have KT with a bdfd now however, suddenly the cards that you can double barrel bringing in additional equity have more than doubled.

Bart
  • LuckFlows Posts: 7Subscriber
    Yes Bart. That was exactly what I was noticing overall more often. I'll make some adjustments by tightening those ranges a bit. I think I just need to sometimes just give up from the start unless I pick up several outs if the flop checks through. Ive been probably a bit too aggressive with my cbets/barrels and it just didn't feel like the correct option.