Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Standard-ish hand?

whofox Posts: 25Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I'm in a passive 1/2 game with about $500 behind and pick up AA in middle position. UTG, who's been on a massive heater and has me covered, raises to $12, I make it $35 and two players call behind along with the original raiser. The flop comes out KJ4 rainbow and the UTG villain bets $25 into about $140. I raise to $100 and both other players fold, villain calls. Turn is a J and the villain comes out and bets $100 into about $340. I fold even getting about 4.5:1.

I'm curious about feedback for every street here. On the flop I feel like he might lead out with things like KQ or JQ to "see where he's at" and I saw this guy have a real hard time folding anything on previous hands. I also feel like KJ4 is not a terrible flop for AA unless someone has JJ or KJ, although I guess 44 and KK are possible from the original raiser. But leading out on the turn after I raised on the flop really tightens his range, right? I feel like he's got AK here once in a blue moon and QJ is the reasonable bottom of his range. Thus, the fold even getting pretty good odds.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I like your raise preflop.. but again when a player makes a absolutely tiny bet into the preflop raiser I am raising. I think you need to bet a bit more .. If this player had not lead into you what would you have bet? You should bet that amount. I normally bet on a fairly dry board anywhere bettween 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot depending on how many other types of draws and or broadway cards.

I see alot of players make these small bets with either top pair or a draw. NOT second pair. then he makes another smallish bet on the turn. Although it is a lot bigger then his bet on the flop. But have you ever seen this guy lead out with a Jack? This is player dependent as we say alot but if he never does this then its either a block bet again with top pair or something like QT

I think you need to call again and see what he does on the river..If he goes all in then I say its a fold but if he checks then he probably has a king and bet an amount you think he will call..

Wendy
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    I don't know about this fold. What is villain like? Is he a spewtard? Is he an old nitty guy? I don't see how QJ is in his range, where he calls BIG raises from you both PF (in which case he could easily be dominated or worse) AND on the flop (where he only flops middle pair with only backdoor draws) UNLESS he is a spewtard fish. Old nitty guys don't call 3-bets preflop with QJ all that often, and if they do, and then lead out OTF "to see where they are at," and get the bad news from you that they are WAY behind, they would almost always fold the flop to your raise.

I would think KK (3 combos) is in his range for sure, as is JJ (1 combo), AK (6 combos), 44 (of the 3 combos, he might play 1 or 2 combos this way, both pre- and post-flop), KJ (probably only suited since he was UTG??? 2 combos) and KQ (not all combos though, as he probably checks many combos on the turn - let's say 3 combos).

With this range analysis, I guess it looks closer to a fold than to a call. But a turn call looks SUPER strong, and he will DEFINITELY not barrel again with less than a full house on the river, so maybe you could call and evaluate river?
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    wendy weissman said

I like your raise preflop.. but again when a player makes a absolutely tiny bet into the preflop raiser I am raising. I think you need to bet a bit more .. If this player had not lead into you what would you have bet? You should bet that amount. I normally bet on a fairly dry board anywhere bettween 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot depending on how many other types of draws and or broadway cards.

Wendy
    Wendy, he did raise to between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. Pot was $140+$25 = $165. Hero raised to $100. How much would you bet? I think it's enough. He would probably be able to get his entire stack in by the river, or very close to it.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    reedmylips said
    wendy weissman said

Wendy
    Wendy, he did raise to between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. Pot was $140+$25 = $165. Hero raised to $100. How much would you bet? I think it's enough. He would probably be able to get his entire stack in by the river, or very close to it.
    Hero raised only 75.. he called the $25.. pot would be 35x4 (not including any blinds not called)=140 +25 (his)+ 25 (mine)= 190.. 75/190 is less than 1/2.. its only a little over 1/3 pot size raise..

Besides this I would never ONLY bet 75.. I would pretty much ignore the $25 bet from the villain and make what I would normally bet, about 110-125 with this many players into a 140 pot with AA.. someone probably has a King and I can get alot of money in the pot..

Wendy
  • whofox Posts: 25Subscriber
    I had him pegged as an old nit on a super heater (he'd been down to about $30 and turned that into about $700.) So he was playing a little crazy but he definitely wasn't good. So I read his tiny bets as actually representing strength instead of blockers and his $100 bet on the turn, even though it was less than 1/3 pot just seemed to be a boat about 95% of the time.

I see what you mean, Wendy, about the flop raise. I was thinking that I'd bet out about $100 if checked to but once he raises to $25 I can make it $125. I think in this situation, though, he's going to see that as a 5x bet, not a 2/3 pot bet and he just might fold out something like KQ. I think the raise to $100 also leaves me with a pretty good path to get the stacks in since if he calls the pot will be $340 and I'll have about $365 left with two streets to go. My plan was to bet about $150 on the turn and then $215 on the river. Assuming he didn't bet into me I'm thinking he has AK or KQ all the way and try to take him to value town. Obviously his turn bet changed things for me and I felt like this player would never bet out at me without a boat. His value range simply includes nothing that I beat except maybe AK and I think he just checks with AK almost always.

Anyway, I folded and he showed KK so maybe I just had the right read at the table.