Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 118: Podcast concepts in action II

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

small pocket pair ep for a raise turn oesd river play

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,059SubscriberProfessional
edited May 14 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
hams opens 4c4s utg1 at 3-1000 for 20 at hustler i have 1000. player in hj calls has 600 heads up

flop 965 one spade. i bet 25. he thinks and calls.

turn. 3s. me 85. he tanks along time. calls. has around 450 left.

river 5c. hams?
Tagged:

Comments

• maphacks Posts: 1,932Subscriber
    I don't think there is really any FE on thr turn. I would check/fold turn. I like attacking fairly capped ranges but prefer to have some kind of equity and/or blockers. Check/folding flop is also good.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,085AdministratorLeadPro
    I think a bet on the flop here is fine for value/protection. Turn is probably close to a bet or check/call (OESD). Seems like its unlikely that V1 has a 5 here at the end his most likely holding is 98-97, 67,-68. I could seeing blasting river and using your "nitty" image..Bart
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,059SubscriberProfessional
    maphacks

I could be completely wrong on this but in this past weeks topsection podcast conlan and bart were discussing when and how to play small pairs as pfr .. heads up or in multiway pots also based on configuration.

So I opened pretty early so my range favors his.. I can bet with the backdoor straight draw hoping he just has overs and will fold on the flop. So when he calls I was pretty much done unless I hit a turn that helped my actual equity. The 3 was the best card especially with the backdoor flush draw.. now he can have even more draws..

so in this spot I bet larger .. again trying to pressure him to fold while keeping an eye on how much left he had in his stack.

so the 5 hits.. what does this do to his range? I think its really hard for him to have a 5 .. pair plus straight draw makes most sense but on the flop thats only 57.. and given the rainbow board thats only 1 combo.. and is someone really calling offsuit with pair and gutter to one liner that is not the nuts? maybe but much less so.

also considering he tanked for so long on the turn I think he is pretty much telegraphing he is weak.. So when all the draws missed I decided to go all in.

he tanked for a good 3 minutes..but eventually folded.. :-)

so if I misunderstood this weeks podcast then bad on me but I also might be able to 3 barrel more often then you guys because of my nitty image..
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,745Subscriber
    I'm not sure I bet that turn. Yes, you have the OESD, but the top end isn't the nuts and loses to 8x hands that villain can have for check/calling.

Since you got to this point on the river, gotta go with the gut. I'm usually one to check/fold, but shoving can't be that bad with your image.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,403Subscriber
    WW-
    Your preflop range is ahead of his, but this board hits his preflop calling range a lot stronger than yours.

I think the river spot is close, but based on the live read of his long turn tank, I think we can get enough folds to make blasting the river fine. If I had JJ+ in this spot, I would probably bet $180, but as a bluff I think we need to inflict some pain with a much bigger bet in the range of $300.

You shipped river for $450? That seems excessive to me since it is so polarizing to ship in this spot. Repping boats can be tough sometimes when he has a pair blocker. Obv most aren't consciously thinking that, but they might subconsciously understand that you are polarized and call slightly more often vs $300.
  • maphacks Posts: 1,932Subscriber
    edited May 15
    IMO flop and turn are debadable but once you bet turn, you certainly have to bomb river. tons of Hands that call two bets here and might fold to a third barrell.... I would probably just shove. as I said , I don't see really any Hands that call flop and fold turn so by bet bet x you burn Money IMO. river has to be a bet IMO
    BTW

Later in the sessionn (and after I posted this hand with him) I got it in with villain with AA on 224ss6 board when I bet 1/4 pot on flop and again small on turn (same as before) and he SNAP shipped 800 with an over pair. He also seemed to overplay 88 on another low paired board so I really don't think he had an over pair but maybe pair of 6s with straight draw like 67 or 68..

but in the end it was his so long tank on turn that I felt gave me the red light to ship all in.

also kinda funny/creepy.. he took my picture as a player next to him told me when he left to use the restroom. guess i made an impression. ha ha

maphacks said:
    IMO flop and turn are debadable but once you bet turn, you certainly have to bomb river. tons of Hands that call two bets here and might fold to a third barrell.... I would probably just shove. as I said , I don't see really any Hands that call flop and fold turn so by bet bet x you burn Money IMO. river has to be a bet IMO
    Also went back and reviewed top section and yes this would be a check flop hand. I misunderstood what conlan and bart flop textures were for cbetting.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,403Subscriber
    Maybe he was going to use your pic in his YouTube makeup videos ?