Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Call to Chop?

justfourfun Posts: 191Subscriber
5/13/18 $1,650 HPT Ameristar Main Event

Level 4 blinds 200/400 with BB ante of 400

Hero just rebought, is new to the table and has 30K;

V 50k

Villian conservative looking well dressed 30ish Asian. Hero does not recognize V and has no history.

Hero opens UTG to 1200 with As Kc. Cutoff calls and V raises to 3800 in small blind. Hero and cutoff call. [Pot: 12,400]

Flop: Qd Jh 3c. V bets 4000. Hero calls and cutoff folds. [Pot; 20,400]

Turn: 7s. V checks and hero checks.

River 9d. V bets 5000.

Hero?

I would like River analysis but would also like input on earlier streets.

Comments

• whathas2bankss Posts: 183Member
    I rather raise than call river. With no history, you could be slow playing/nitty QQ/JJ and an occasional 10Kss. The only monster villain has with this line and sizing (since he blocks basically most reasonable hands) is QQ. With JJ he bets for value on turn, no reason to slow down. Or 1/4 river unless to induce, but that's too many levels.

Doubt he's raising 99 there pre with such stack depths and OOP starting. Same reason if he had AA/KK, why no turn. So not many hands really, which makes sense why you want to call for AK.

Given such and I can't think of V having too many real hands here and you can w.o history. Raise.

Fwiw. I play cash 99% and have gone 1/7 for wsop cashes. Feelsbadman
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,040Subscriber
    With a player to act behind on the flop, I think I can actually find a fold there, especially in a tourney where chips lost are worth more than chips gained.

As played, this does feel like he has AK a lot. That being said, I don't think you can just call, as you may end up losing to some randomness like AJ or TT. I think you can put in a small raise if you really feel like you can fold that stuff out. Otherwise, I don't like calling just to chop.
  • justfourfun Posts: 191Subscriber
    My apologies dbduck and what has 2bankss for such a tardy conclusion. My life got a little crazy for a bit and I have not been on the site - which is unusual for me. Feels good to be back.

When I played this hand it felt so much as though V had AK and that I could call and chop. V had KK. My thought now is to just fold this hand otf as duck suggested. The nut Broadway draw with a thought that an A or K might still be good kept me in. Losing 12,800 of my starting stack of my 30,000 just seems like a big mistake made by combining little mistakes?? I want to explore folding preflop here to the three bet. A four bet raise preflop is definitely and overplay. I hate hate the flat call of a three bet pre. Regardless i like the fold otf.